SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:35 PM
Registered User
Travis MCH's Avatar
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
ej189,

Very nice flying! Where did you get yellow blades and canopy? Pretty cool!
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:42 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
I have an Xtreme Spin motor on my V120D02S, I call it V120D02XTR, can get a good performance in 10T pinon with light weight and friction few mods.
Head speed was measured by optical head speed counter to get 5300rpm in 4.2V zero pitch 100% throttle. Never trust a math calculation function to estimate head speed IMO.
The stock battery is half year old and over 150 flight at least so it can only provide 5min flight to 3.7V and charge back about 600mah, it can do more when it's new.

I think TA915 or 215 maybe better than Spin motor in better KV or gear fitness, but when the bird is light enough and fine tuned it still be a powerful good motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee_hD_HWXn0
V120D02XTR, i like it. I think that should be standard. My D05 just got changed to V120D05CS-XTR I think it's important to emphasize that these are upgraded heli and NOT the stock motor or pure stock heli. Especially for Youtube purposes. I'm still calling the 215, 915 or hp08s setup the "Pro" setups though. They all seem to be very closely matched. Though the 915 is probably not quite as good as the 215 and produces shorter flights from a high draw vs the 215. Or so i have read. I agree completely. I find using math to calculate head speed to be a big problem. Because no matter what there are to many unpredictable variables. If i were NASA i might have a little more faith in math clocking my HS. I suck at math anyway.

Nice flying as usual

I can obviously tell after watching the performance of your spin motor that it is already time to replace my ESC again.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:44 PM
Registered User
dgibbons's Avatar
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
ej189,

nice flying. My V120 is about 13 grams heavier @ 105 auw. The spin 16300 motor didn't perform nearly as well for me. My flying skill & collective management have a long way to go.
Thanks for the video. Awesome flying.
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:50 PM
Registered User
dgibbons's Avatar
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
I've found the headspeed calculators on my larger helis to be pretty accurate. It may be that the kv varies on the smaller motors.
I've had both my 450 & 500 measured on an optical tach & they are within 10-20 rpms of the hs calc as well as the castle esc. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with an optical tach that will measure high enough for the 4000+ hs on the v120.
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:53 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbons View Post
ej189,

nice flying. My V120 is about 13 grams heavier @ 105 auw. The spin 16300 motor didn't perform nearly as well for me. My flying skill & collective management have a long way to go.
Thanks for the video. Awesome flying.
Yeah, mine would definitely not have had the authority for tick tocks. It hardly did pitch pumps. It just had trouble keeping the HS up. But in fact, after watching his last video. The only thing i can think is that my ESC has weakened in performance. Because even the 215 does not feel as good as it should, or once did. I suppose i'll have to order a new one and see.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:00 PM
Registered User
dgibbons's Avatar
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
I got a new esc today. I'll solder the mini deans before the end of the week. I may try the spin motor with the esc, but I'm satisfied with how the hp08s flies.
I ordered the esc after I tried new batteries & the esc was getting hot & no noticeable difference in performance between the spin & stock motor for me. Maybe I did a poor job soldering the 3pin mini deans on the spin motor.
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:31 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Spyro37's Avatar
Joined Jun 2009
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
Nice flying & looks like you switched the tail rotor to the left side...
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:08 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Nice flying & looks like you switched the tail rotor to the left side...
Yeah, he is using the flipped tail boom mod thing.. You flip the tail boom so the rotor is on the other side. Then remove the blade grips and flip them in the opposite direction. Technically, this makes the mechanics wrong and creates a physics issue. But with a tiny v120 i suppose it does not matter much. I tried this mod once and thought the heli felt weird in the air. So i changed it back. But obviously, it will still fly fine. Just watch that video It will help prevent you from hitting your rudder rod with the main rotor blades in a crash though.

Just so you know. Proper mechanics would have the tail rotor spinning UP into the down draft from the main rotor. If it was the other way around the down draft from the main rotor would help accelerate the tail rotor and could create fluctuation in the tail drive as well as some other dynamic steering issues. In theory, you could reverse the direction of the motor and main rotor then flip the blade grips over and you would have a CCW main rotor helicopter. Just like the bell 222 or other French or European helicopters. I have not really tried it yet though. I keep meaning to try it, but never get around to it. CCW rotors would fly and "feel" a little different. The trust from the tail rotor would also be different so your circle circuits and things might feel weird too.


You know what... Looking at his pictures. Apparently, from what i can tell by looking and from other's pictures. All of their horizontal tail fins are "wire framed" fins. Instead of a solid plastic fin, like my v120 has.... Very strange, no wonder you guys are complaining about breaking them all the time, meanwhile i have never broken one yet! EVER! On my D05 however, they are wire framed and always broke. But Extreme makes a CF upgrade for that. It's just another reason to avoid Walkera. If you analyze it. My OLDER model, the first version of the V120d02S with the 2801 compatible RX. (which not so surprisingly you can't purchase those RX any longer, just BTW...) It came with an solid tail fin. Apparently the newer models and replacement parts all have wire frames now too! SO WTH WALKERA!!! You bastards figured out that the D05 wire frame fins always broke from just handling the heli and decided to revert back to that crap to maybe get a few extra parts sales on a penny worth of Chinese plastic!?? Seriously.... just WTH man....




Seriously. I can't wait to be rid of this company for good. Gaui here i come! The 2801-pro was supposed to be around a little bit longer than a year or 2... I'm really pissed off about that. While the 2801-pro was what i needed because i wanted a 4f200 and eventually a V450d01 (which at the time was 2801 only). Plus the v120 worked with it to boot. So that worked out. But I'm not buying a new Devo TX just so i can keep paying into this Walkera money pit and upgrade all of my RX and helicopters for Devo. Since If i crash and break my RX, i can't get a replacement. It looks like i might be selling all of my helicopters. Instead of going with devo and upgrading everything to more crap. I'll just go with something that actually has a good reputation like Spectrum or Futaba. Then maybe i can use my TX viably for more than a year.... BASTARDS!!!
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:15 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Yeah, he is using the flipped tail boom mod thing.. You flip the tail boom so the rotor is on the other side. Then remove the blade grips and flip them in the opposite direction. Technically, this makes the mechanics wrong and creates a physics issue. But with a tiny v120 i suppose it does not matter much. I tried this mod once and thought the heli felt weird in the air. So i changed it back. But obviously, it will still fly fine. Just watch that video It will help prevent you from hitting your rudder rod with the main rotor blades in a crash though.

Just so you know. Proper mechanics would have the tail rotor spinning UP into the down draft from the main rotor. If it was the other way around the down draft from the main rotor would help accelerate the tail rotor and could create fluctuation in the tail drive as well as some other dynamic steering issues. In theory, you could reverse the direction of the motor and main rotor then flip the blade grips over and you would have a CCW main rotor helicopter. Just like the bell 222 or other French or European helicopters. I have not really tried it yet though. I keep meaning to try it, but never get around to it. CCW rotors would fly and "feel" a little different. The trust from the tail rotor would also be different so your circle circuits and things might feel weird too.


You know what... Looking at his pictures. Apparently, from what i can tell by looking and from other's pictures. All of their horizontal tail fins are "wire framed" fins. Instead of a solid plastic fin, like my v120 has.... Very strange, no wonder you guys are complaining about breaking them all the time, meanwhile i have never broken one yet! EVER! On my D05 however, they are wire framed and always broke. But Extreme makes a CF upgrade for that. It's just another reason to avoid Walkera. If you analyze it. My OLDER model, the first version of the V120d02S with the 2801 compatible RX. (which not so surprisingly you can't purchase those RX any longer, just BTW...) It came with an solid tail fin. Apparently the newer models and replacement parts all have wire frames now too! SO WTH WALKERA!!! You bastards figured out that the D05 wire frame fins always broke from just handling the heli and decided to revert back to that crap to maybe get a few extra parts sales on a penny worth of Chinese plastic!?? Seriously.... just WTH man....




Seriously. I can't wait to be rid of this company for good. Gaui here i come! The 2801-pro was supposed to be around a little bit longer than a year or 2... I'm really pissed off about that. While the 2801-pro was what i needed because i wanted a 4f200 and eventually a V450d01 (which at the time was 2801 only). Plus the v120 worked with it to boot. So that worked out. But I'm not buying a new Devo TX just so i can keep paying into this Walkera money pit and upgrade all of my RX and helicopters for Devo. Since If i crash and break my RX, i can't get a replacement. It looks like i might be selling all of my helicopters. Instead of going with devo and upgrading everything to more crap. I'll just go with something that actually has a good reputation like Spectrum or Futaba. Then maybe i can use my TX viably for more than a year.... BASTARDS!!!
There is a new $20 product called the RC magic cube that will allow your 2801 pro to control Devo helis. Since it uses the trainer jack, it may be compatible with JR/Spektrum and Futaba as well. However, there may be an issue with the order of channels used, especially since Walkera uses channel 7 for the gyro.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716728

I would keep the 2801 for larger helis. It uses a hopping frequency protocol which is reported to be more interference resistant and has a longer ranger than the DSSS protocol that the Devo transmitters are using. The main reason why Walkera changed protocols was to add telemetry and also to reduce the latency or response time.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Sep 05, 2012 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:29 AM
Registered User
ej189's Avatar
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
V120D02XTR, i like it. I think that should be standard. My D05 just got changed to V120D05CS-XTR I think it's important to emphasize that these are upgraded heli and NOT the stock motor or pure stock heli. Especially for Youtube purposes. I'm still calling the 215, 915 or hp08s setup the "Pro" setups though. They all seem to be very closely matched. Though the 915 is probably not quite as good as the 215 and produces shorter flights from a high draw vs the 215. Or so i have read. I agree completely. I find using math to calculate head speed to be a big problem. Because no matter what there are to many unpredictable variables. If i were NASA i might have a little more faith in math clocking my HS. I suck at math anyway.

Nice flying as usual

I can obviously tell after watching the performance of your spin motor that it is already time to replace my ESC again.
I never doubt ESC that electrical semi-conductors never worn but burnt. Have seen too many weak power issues that mostly caused by frictions and connectors.
Since direct solder motor wire and regularly cleaning JST connector, there is no electric issue.
Most problems in V120 are about gears and bearings friction as I've been said. Remove motor and spinning main gear with blades to look how the friction stop it turning. Mine can turning freely above 10 seconds and stop slowly even turning backward due to a slightly blades unbalanced. That is why I called it friction-few tuning. I always do the check every time I recompose tail parts.

I used to hold tail pitch rod with extra aluminum plate from being strike off by main blades in crashes, but last week it had been stricken so badly that had broken tail servo gears and pitch slider arm, that made me decided to change it permanently and it was much easier than thought.
There is no different which side the blades is cause I had mounted a carbon rod instead of tail fin. I also have centered tail pitch into left equal to right that make it holding better in most conditions.
ej189 is offline Find More Posts by ej189
Last edited by ej189; Sep 05, 2012 at 02:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:16 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
I never doubt ESC that electrical semi-conductors never worn but burnt. Have seen too many weak power issues that mostly caused by frictions and connectors.
Since direct solder motor wire and regularly cleaning JST connector, there is no electric issue.
Most problems in V120 are about gears and bearings friction as I've been said. Remove motor and spinning main gear with blades to look how the friction stop it turning. Mine can turning freely above 10 seconds and stop slowly even turning backward due to a slightly blades unbalanced. That is why I called it friction-few tuning. I always do the check every time I recompose tail parts.

I used to hold tail pitch rod with extra aluminum plate from being strike off by main blades in crash, but last week it had been stricken so badly the break servo gears and pitch slider arm, that made me decided to change permanently.
There is no different which side the blades is cause I had mounted a carbon rod instead tail fin. Also I have centered tail pitch into left equal to right that make it holding better in most conditions.
Interesting. That could be. I know my TT shaft is a little bent and making some noise and resistance. The main rotor will spin free for a few seconds if i spin it by hand. I keep all my bearings lubed with bearing oil for electric motors. The last time i noticed a performance issue effecting prolonged pitch pumping or 3D i went over everything on the heli. It wasn't till i replaced the ESC that prolonged capability returned. Your possibly right about the plugs. I was flying the thing like 6+ packs a day. They had to get worn out at some time right? The new ESC could have just had a better connection with the already poor connection provided by the JST plug. I think I'll put your theory to the test and solder on a new JST and maybe direct solder the motor wires too. It can only help at this point.

I think, if i understand correctly. You are trying to say that electrical semi-conductors only go bad when they burn out? It is probably true that the actual semi-conductors may not go bad, while still working. But with walkera, i wouldn't doubt it either. The thing that has the effect on performance, in my opinion, is the repeated heating and cooling of the whole ESC. Repeated heating and cooling will result in the expansion and contraction of all of the metal components as well as the solder joints. Poorly assembled electronics will show increased signs of electrical resistance due to the solder joints pulling apart and other contacts becoming stressed. Anyone who has ever had to deal with cheap stage audio amplifiers will tell you. After a while, they start to heat up quicker and quicker each time you use them. Eventually it comes to the point where they still work and you can crank the volume up. But all of the audio coming out of the speakers they are driving will be a irregular and probably eventually start to sound like garbage as they begin to overheat quicker and quicker. Of course, now that you mentioned it the battery plug and motor plug make perfect sense too though. That is the simple solution if it is actually the problem. Thank you for your input. You might have saved me a few $$.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:40 AM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,471 Posts
I'm not sure if Antibes interested but I have an extra d02s motor with stock pinion on it if anyone wants it. The motor and pinion have 4 flights on them.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:06 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Crash Survivor's Avatar
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
I'm not sure if Antibes interested but I have an extra d02s motor with stock pinion on it if anyone wants it. The motor and pinion have 4 flights on them.
What price are you asking?
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:18 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Crash Survivor's Avatar
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,064 Posts
Was just getting ready to post for a question & seen flohio117 post, always could use more spares for trouble shooting & failures. Anyway my 2801 version receivers/heli's are rock solid. My Devo receivers/heli has left yaw, tried centering RX 3 times with no positive results. Trim works, sub trim works, but seems I've read not to use sub trims for some reason. Had right sub trim in at 15 doing good next time bumped up to 20 to correct. Is this going to keep going up, charging 5 batteries now to check later, but wondering.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:23 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
What price are you asking?
I'm not sure what do you think is a good offer? I'm not trying to fetich lol but I would like a fair offer. Because otherwise it's almost not worth shipping. Anyways let me know it's pretty much brand new it was on my 2nd d02s that I flew for 2-3 flights bc then it became my parts heli for my 1st d02s.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new heli from walkera HIKO400? xyzy2 Micro Helis 15 Jan 12, 2012 11:16 AM
Sold Align 70A ESC W/BEC from 500/550 class Heli NEW! HD Hucker Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Oct 13, 2011 12:37 PM
Discussion Ultra Durable Diamond Mini Gyro 3 Channel Indoor Ready to Fly RC Remote Control Heli LittleG Coaxial Helicopters 32 Jan 14, 2011 12:55 PM
Discussion Walker 4#3 throttle problem Ė new heli Ronon Micro Helis 2 Jan 24, 2009 04:22 PM