HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Thanks. I'm not getting anywhere near 6-7 min of flight time. I have some older 950 mah nanotechs that I may try.
I'm very happy with the hp08s so far. I'd probably sell the spin motor, but I couldn't recommend it for the v120

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
nice flying...I've been using the same hp08s 16500kv on my v120 for 6 months or so now and it is a huge upgrade in power over the stock motor...don't know how it compares to other upgrade motors but I can't imagine needing more power on this heli. You really have to be thrashing it to bog it down any. I can run about 6 to 7 minutes on my 900mah 25c ebay batteries
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:15 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
nice flying...I've been using the same hp08s 16500kv on my v120 for 6 months or so now and it is a huge upgrade in power over the stock motor...don't know how it compares to other upgrade motors but I can't imagine needing more power on this heli. You really have to be thrashing it to bog it down any. I can run about 6 to 7 minutes on my 900mah 25c ebay batteries
Yeah, i'm pretty sure the hp08s and the Turbo ace 215 are the best 2 motors right now. At least from watching the videos and comparing some of the data, thats is what i think. I've tried the spin motor and it's not very good even compared to the stock motor. It is still a upgrade motor from stock, but it really seems to lack the torque these other 2 motors are putting out. The 215 is probably almost twice the diameter of the spin motor. I'm assuming the same is true with the hp08s?

I don't get quite 6-7 minutes unless i'm flying very calmly. Are you flying 3D at all or using idle up? or is that with normal flight only? Using 950 mAh 25C batteries myself. I can expect a strong 3 minutes of 3d and then another 2 minutes or so of light 3d and normal flight. As soon as the motor starts bogging i know the batteries are @ or below 3.8v. When the packs were brand new i may have been getting longer. I wouldn't doubt if i could stretch a 9 minute flight in normal mode only, flying with no wind, using a brand new pack. But that is something else to factor in. The wind will have your gyros working double time if it's strong enough. The tail servo mostly. But it does have an effect on the battery drain however random and insignificant it might be. Lately just for testing i've been using the stock 650 mAh packs made by "full river". They are actually very good lipos! But the thing i have been noticing is that even though i'm only getting a 3 minute 3D flight and then i have to land. The 650 mAh packs seem to perform better in the helicopter still because of the weight. The 950 mAh 25C packs fly longer and even seem to produce higher head speeds and bog the motor less. But the extra weight limits the helicopter's over all performance in 3d. Plus you have to manually compensate for the slightly improper CG of the 950 mAh battery by over throwing your cyclic for flips and rolls in one direction or the other. I think over all , the flight is much more balanced and agile with the stock pack. That being said, i still use both and enjoy flying with both and still never can decide which ones to buy when it comes time to replace old packs. I can say, however, the stock packs are unrivaled in lifespan. IMO. I can still wrangle a 2-3 minute flight out of my D02S using it's original stock battery that has had at least 150 cycles on it and was received by me in march of this year.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:12 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,246 Posts
Whats the dimensions of the v120d02s tail boom, 2x2 mm or 3x3mm?
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Whats the dimensions of the v120d02s tail boom, 2x2 mm or 3x3mm?
I get this from R2 hobbies and it is very reasonable.

Carbon Fiber Square Tube 3.0mm x 3.0mm x 2.0mm X 1000mm

rcps81952_303020
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:09 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
I get this from R2 hobbies and it is very reasonable.

Carbon Fiber Square Tube 3.0mm x 3.0mm x 2.0mm X 1000mm

rcps81952_303020
I was actually going to buy it for my mini, but as its 3x3 it wont fit.
Unfortunatly i havent found any local seller that has 2x2 square rods here in Sweden.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
See imbedded responses ******

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbons View Post
Don,
Thanks again for the pinions. I'm getting between 3.5 -4 min & start to see a slight drop around the 3 min mark. I'm flying the 600 mah stock & after roughly 4 min it came down @3.778. I'm also using 2 Nanotech 750 mah (claim to be 35c but don't have the same pop as the stock Walkera's. I've been charging in series & didn't check how much I was putting back when I charged. I'll see if I can get that for you. How do you think the 7t compares to the 8t?
Quote:
Don,
total flight time 4:27 on a new walkera stock 600 mah batt. I put 495 mah back in.
*** Doug,

So for your setup it looks like an average current of 6.6A with 8T and my setup 4.8A with 7T. Mine doesn't bog and gives good performance for ~4 min. My 400mah 20C batteries probably couldn't handle the extra current for the 8T very well. My AUW is ~87.2g and I've measured the static thrust at about 250g so that is a pretty good thrust to weight ratio of ~2.9. It seems like a good trade off since I have quite a few of these batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george48184 View Post
Hey Don,I have a spin 16,300 coming and I am going to install a 12t pinion on it ? I have a hybrid 4g6 FBL ,stock esc,I am using 650-20c stock batteries . What can I expect from your experience in different motors and pinions? I thought that a 12t was about as low as I could go to get good pop and flight times and min heat on motor and esc ?????
Thanks again George
George,

For the old M0.25 gears I used to run an 11T with the 400mah OS linear batteries and get about the same performance as I do with a 7T pinion on M0.4 gears. So 11-12T should be about right for that motor, but I've never had a spin only HP08S and the best for them is the 16,500kv version from testing. You just need the right gearing for your setup to optimize performance.
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:58 PM
michigan
Joined May 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
See imbedded responses ******

Don

*** Doug,

So for your setup it looks like an average current of 6.6A with 8T and my setup 4.8A with 7T. Mine doesn't bog and gives good performance for ~4 min. My 400mah 20C batteries probably couldn't handle the extra current for the 8T very well. My AUW is ~87.2g and I've measured the static thrust at about 250g so that is a pretty good thrust to weight ratio of ~2.9. It seems like a good trade off since I have quite a few of these batteries.

George,

For the old M0.25 gears I used to run an 11T with the 400mah OS linear batteries and get about the same performance as I do with a 7T pinion on M0.4 gears. So 11-12T should be about right for that motor, but I've never had a spin only HP08S and the best for them is the 16,500kv version from testing. You just need the right gearing for your setup to optimize performance.
Thanks Don, I have a 11t & 12t so ,what would you try frist ?
george48184 is offline Find More Posts by george48184
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george48184 View Post
Thanks Don, I have a 11t & 12t so ,what would you try frist ?
I'd try 11T first and if you need more pop try 12T. Remember to not over drain your batteries if you switch to 12T because it will use more current.

YMMV, Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,711 Posts
Can I ask what you guys are using for head cameras. I need to get one and would like some good advice.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:29 PM
michigan
Joined May 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
I'd try 11T first and if you need more pop try 12T. Remember to not over drain your batteries if you switch to 12T because it will use more current.

YMMV, Don
Thanks again Don , will do !!!!!
George
george48184 is offline Find More Posts by george48184
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Most guys are using the gopro.
I'm using the Bullet HD Pro. The gopro picture quality is better, but the Bullet cam is pretty close & much smaller. I got a very good deal on an ebay auction. Paid a little less than 1/2 of list price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Can I ask what you guys are using for head cameras. I need to get one and would like some good advice.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Jul 2009
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Is anyone using a two cell set up on the V120D02s?
I have another one coming that I was thinking I may convert to a more powerful motor with a two cell battery. Anyone done this yet? If so, can you provide a parts list?
Thanks
Quote:
You would need a new esc

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...p-12a-1-3s-esc

2s motor

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...rushless-motor

& a 2s batt. I don't think I'm missing anything.
Travis,
If the voltage coming out of the esc's bec is higher than 4.5v I believe you also will want to use a diode between the esc and the rx to drop the voltage down back down to about 4.5v. I've seen 2s build threads elsewhere that recommend this.
OmegaRedIsDMan is offline Find More Posts by OmegaRedIsDMan
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Parts for benmlee slipper clutch

I bent the tail shaft on my slipper clutch. I emailed to see if I could get a replacement. Shipping is very reasonable.

Here's the link:

http://www.microlinehobbies.com/Tailgear.htm

Just received the 130x main & tail blades. Won't be able to try em till later this week.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:51 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,129 Posts
Quote:
I bent the tail shaft on my slipper clutch. I emailed to see if I could get a replacement. Shipping is very reasonable.

Here's the link:

http://www.microlinehobbies.com/Tailgear.htm

Just received the 130x main & tail blades. Won't be able to try em till later this week.
I bent mine too on first crash since the clutch.
My clutch slipped during 3D flight. It happened during flip-to-inverted-to-flip. The heli span & I can't regain control, so I hit TH.
I ordered 3 pcs of tail shaft replacements ($0.65 S&H) from his website.
I should receive them today or tomorrow.

ALL my stock spare parts are from HELIRCSTORE otherwise. His parts & shipping is quick (US seller).
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:29 PM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
113 Posts
I have an Xtreme Spin motor on my V120D02S, I call it V120D02XTR, can get a good performance in 10T pinon with light weight and friction few mods.
Head speed was measured by optical head speed counter to get 5300rpm in 4.2V zero pitch 100% throttle. Never trust a math calculation function to estimate head speed IMO.
The stock battery is half year old and over 150 flight at least so it can only provide 5min flight to 3.7V and charge back about 600mah, it can do more when it's new.

I think TA915 or 215 maybe better than Spin motor in better KV or gear fitness, but when the bird is light enough and fine tuned it still be a powerful good motor.

V120D02XTR - A Spinning Yellow Bird (6 min 5 sec)
ej189 is online now Find More Posts by ej189