HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I wouldn't run to many packs back to back consecutively. The hotter the ESC gets the worse it performs. With the stock setup and batteries, you should be able to run a few packs consecutively, but don't over do it. I don't know what your wearing out or knocking out of alignment. But in the summer using the upgraded motors, if i run 2 batteries back-to-back without any downtime for cooling. The second flight will literally brown out on me within a minute or so. I've also experienced weird pitch response in the cyclic and collective from the ESC over heating. Might not be your issue, but you might want to pop the hood after each flight and feel the side of that ESC. Mine gets hot enough after 1 flight that i can feel the heat though the canopy. Then like i said, if i speed into using the next battery right away the heli flies real funny. Kind of loose and pitchy feeling and then blacks out and crashes. Just a suggestion.
Good points Integrity. For the first time in my D02S ownership since March, she browned out twice during flights yesterday afternoon (once in the parking lot over a bunch of cars - yikes). Between 80-85 degrees outside temperature. Fortunately she stayed level and maintained altitude but wouldn't respond to any cyclic or elevator. After a few seconds she started responding to commands again and flew the rest of the pack fine. At first I thought it might be distance (my transmitter battery gauge showed two bars which has been fine in the past with rechargeables), but she did the same thing maybe 50-60 feet from me several packs later when I left her hovering for a few seconds.
  • The motor is original - I have a Turbo Ace 215 on the way. I've Tri-Flowed it most of its life, but compared to my other D02S, this one seems a bit down on power. Could a motor on its last legs possibly cause electrical spikes to the digital circuitry in the RX?
  • Or is this indicative of an ESC on its way out? I have a spare ESC ready to go. Should I try the original ESC with the 215?

Needless to say, the brownouts have concerned me more than anything else that has ever gone wrong with the heli. Lack of control response is very unsettling indeed.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
Needless to say, the brownouts have concerned me more than anything else that has ever gone wrong with the heli. Lack of control response is very unsettling indeed.
You use a fixed ID?
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
And buzzflyer.co.uk?

Yeah sure ... if you fancy paying £3.95 for a single boom plus P&P

Just trying to help keep the costs down for everyone is all.
rangebound is offline Find More Posts by rangebound
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebound View Post
Yeah sure ... if you fancy paying £3.95 for a single boom plus P&P
Never ment to make you angry..
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Jan 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
You use a fixed ID?
No fixed ID, but there was no one else in the vicinity flying anything.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Never ment to make you angry..
No anger here .. just explaining
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
No fixed ID, but there was no one else in the vicinity flying anything.
You might want to try using a fixed ID. It solved a similar problem with a friend of mine.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Jan 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
You might want to try using a fixed ID. It solved a similar problem with a friend of mine.
Thanks - I'll try that.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
I feel some of you are doubting V120D02S, and yes there are many issues needed to overcome, without a good turning and flying skill will hard to do some violence aerobatics, but a newbie also can fly it well too, just not good enough.

Although stock motor is not powerful enough for most of you, but I want to show you that with careful turning and little mods can get quite good result.
What I did only about reducing frictions and weight.
The mods are all about reducing weight to get 96 gram and total cost less than 1 USD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=115vCrUbZYQ

Now you know why Manuel Campos always flight without canopy, because it weights 4 gram.
I've got to say that Angry bird canopy is just excellent - as are all your helpfull hints and tips.

I had a little play with Pepakura and managed to get close but its still not as good as yours!

What software are you using to create the original 3D model?

I know you've put a lot of work into this but is there any chance you could post the .PDO file for your Angry Bird?

Also How thick is the tranparency you are printing on. The only clear inkjet sheets I can find are 0.1mm thick which seems a little thin but then again I guess it does save the weight.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
Spain, CL, Valladolid
Joined Oct 2011
194 Posts
I need that .PDO!

Beautiful!
flyerinside is offline Find More Posts by flyerinside
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:17 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,622 Posts
Quote:
Good points Integrity. For the first time in my D02S ownership since March, she browned out twice during flights yesterday afternoon (once in the parking lot over a bunch of cars - yikes). Between 80-85 degrees outside temperature. Fortunately she stayed level and maintained altitude but wouldn't respond to any cyclic or elevator. After a few seconds she started responding to commands again and flew the rest of the pack fine. At first I thought it might be distance (my transmitter battery gauge showed two bars which has been fine in the past with rechargeables), but she did the same thing maybe 50-60 feet from me several packs later when I left her hovering for a few seconds.
  • The motor is original - I have a Turbo Ace 215 on the way. I've Tri-Flowed it most of its life, but compared to my other D02S, this one seems a bit down on power. Could a motor on its last legs possibly cause electrical spikes to the digital circuitry in the RX?
  • Or is this indicative of an ESC on its way out? I have a spare ESC ready to go. Should I try the original ESC with the 215?

I would say it is the ESC at first guess. I am still using my first ESC, also as old as march. With literally hundreds if not thousands of flights on it. It is perfoming very poorly even with the TA motor right now. The hotter it gets, the worse the output too.

The brush-less motors don't usually go bad just flat. But there is a thing called thermal expansion which after many flights of heating and cooling of the materials used to make the motor. The conductivity of the motor begins to decrease as internal impedance builds over time and performance suffers. Of course better materials will equal a longer lasting, better performing motor. Just like your car, or apparently pappa john's pizza. (as if)

Quote:
You use a fixed ID?
Yeah, sorry. That was my v450d01 i was talking about. Yes, that uses fixed id. I read so many threads sometime i think i get them confused. I don't know if maybe the new Devo RX use fixed ID but my v120s do not support it. So no i don't use it on those.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
505 Posts
I just ordered WOW's Turbo-Ace 215 motor with pinion and 3-prong connector. It's sold for the M120D01 and V120D05, and I already have a tech support ticket submitted, but maybe someone here has tried using it with the V120D02S.

I noticed that the pinion mesh looks different than the stock V120D02S pinion in that the D02S pinion has "deeper" teeth. Is this motor/pinion compatible with the V120D02S main gear? Here's a link:

http://www.wowhobbies.com/turboace71...nstalle-5.aspx
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, sorry. That was my v450d01 i was talking about. Yes, that uses fixed id. I read so many threads sometime i think i get them confused. I don't know if maybe the new Devo RX use fixed ID but my v120s do not support it. So no i don't use it on those.
I'm confused now. You use a Devo TX or an older model? I use a Devo TX and have fixed ID's on both the Genius and V120
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
I would say it is the ESC at first guess. I am still using my first ESC, also as old as march. With literally hundreds if not thousands of flights on it. It is perfoming very poorly even with the TA motor right now. The hotter it gets, the worse the output too.

The brush-less motors don't usually go bad just flat. But there is a thing called thermal expansion which after many flights of heating and cooling of the materials used to make the motor. The conductivity of the motor begins to decrease as internal impedance builds over time and performance suffers. Of course better materials will equal a longer lasting, better performing motor. Just like your car, or apparently pappa john's pizza. (as if)
I'm liking your theory of the ESC going bad. This past week she started making this almost "spitting" sound and showed some power degradation. I'm wondering if this sound is caused by the ESC pulsing in a non-smooth fashion causing the motor to almost sputter. She used to sound really smooth.

It gets worse as one flies through the battery pack.

You have a lot of experience with the TA 215 - any thoughts on my question above? Is the pinion WOW sent me compatible with the D02S?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
that looks really interesting! where do u use these washers on? on the main blade damper (is it the rubber rings in the rotor head?) and also anywhere else?

thank you.... =)
V120D02S has much better damper ever from 4G3, 4G6, V120D02. Don't need a mod in normal flight but still a little too soft for me to do tic-toc that it may vibrate the body.
I added a 0.1mm washer between damper and spacer each side, then I can adjust damper softness just by turning furthering shift screw.
ej189 is offline Find More Posts by ej189