HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:01 AM
Registered User
United States, LA, Calhoun
Joined May 2012
102 Posts
3D capable

The 120D02S is very capable of 3D right out of the box. It does take a little more finesse but it can be done. With that being said, Ive come to the conclusion that it can't hold up to heave 3D for extended periods. The tail will start to blow out. I don't mean continuous as in the same flight, I mean after many flights. I have to rebuild mine after about 15 flights or it's just sloppy. That's IF I don't crash.lol it is a fun little machine and a great stepping stone into the bigger Heli world.
cstoutr is offline Find More Posts by cstoutr
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:03 AM
Registered User
Chow's Avatar
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
I fly bigger heli's already. The Genius CP was my travel heli for the last 8 months. I bought the V120 since it's still compact but just a bit bigger so better visible when you fly fast circuits. I expect to have the heli within a few hours now. Waiting for the courier to bring it
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:42 AM
Registered User
United States, LA, Calhoun
Joined May 2012
102 Posts
You will enjoy it. Be sure to set the head up when you get it and it will be fine.
cstoutr is offline Find More Posts by cstoutr
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:43 AM
Registered User
Chow's Avatar
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
I'll do a quick check and up we go
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:41 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstoutr View Post
The 120D02S is very capable of 3D right out of the box. It does take a little more finesse but it can be done. With that being said, Ive come to the conclusion that it can't hold up to heave 3D for extended periods. The tail will start to blow out. I don't mean continuous as in the same flight, I mean after many flights. I have to rebuild mine after about 15 flights or it's just sloppy. That's IF I don't crash.lol it is a fun little machine and a great stepping stone into the bigger Heli world.
I wouldn't run to many packs back to back consecutively. The hotter the ESC gets the worse it performs. With the stock setup and batteries, you should be able to run a few packs consecutively, but don't over do it. I don't know what your wearing out or knocking out of alignment. But in the summer using the upgraded motors, if i run 2 batteries back-to-back without any downtime for cooling. The second flight will literally brown out on me within a minute or so. I've also experienced weird pitch response in the cyclic and collective from the ESC over heating. Might not be your issue, but you might want to pop the hood after each flight and feel the side of that ESC. Mine gets hot enough after 1 flight that i can feel the heat though the canopy. Then like i said, if i speed into using the next battery right away the heli flies real funny. Kind of loose and pitchy feeling and then blacks out and crashes. Just a suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
I fly bigger heli's already. The Genius CP was my travel heli for the last 8 months. I bought the V120 since it's still compact but just a bit bigger so better visible when you fly fast circuits. I expect to have the heli within a few hours now. Waiting for the courier to bring it
The only thing that i think you will encounter that you will dislike about the V120 is the fragility of the tail drive system compared to your Genius. You will probably want to stock up on tail drive gear sets and order a slipper clutch eventually, depending on how much you crash or slap your tail on things. The slipper clutches are really worth the investment. Sadly Bob has sold out and for the time being, stopped making his clutches. Though i get the feeling if his arm was twisted hard enough... I'm sure there are a few people out there with stock in his clutches too that might be willing to part with one. But for the time being there is a slightly more expensive alternative you can find on ebay. It's a little over engineered, but it works good and seems like it will be worth the money in the long run too. Either slipper clutch works great. In my experience with them both they each have little pros and cons. But both do their job excellently, and that is saving your gears from grinding in a crash or tail slap.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Chow's Avatar
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Got it guys. Just came in. What a beauty. Still shaking a bit

Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
Registered User
alfmateos's Avatar
Spain, Madrid, M
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Got it guys. Just came in. What a beauty. Still shaking a bit

Gorgeous, isn't it? I'm really happy with mine
alfmateos is offline Find More Posts by alfmateos
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:47 AM
Registered User
Chow's Avatar
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
I thought no heli could be more stable than my Genius CP. But this one exceeds my expectations. Just did the maiden and pfffff. What an awesome heli
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:07 PM
Registered User
ej189's Avatar
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmateos View Post
Hi ej189, I also follow all of your videos, as you well know, and I admire the mods you do and the way you fly. But I cannot get anywhere such a 0.1mm Washer. Where did you get it from? Thanks in advance.
Haha, the material of 0.1mm washer is in every where around us.
The side wall of aluminum can is just about 0.1mm thick. Cut and drill a hole, mounting on main shaft, then cut around with a scissor, the thickness of scissor may control the place to cut.
I made two for you in one min, the outer diameter is just 3.5mm.

Not only that, I also added it to the main blades damper to harden it, the skill developed from my first heli Walkera 52# until now, every heli from Walkera all get too soft in the damper.
ej189 is offline Find More Posts by ej189
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:28 PM
Registered User
alfmateos's Avatar
Spain, Madrid, M
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
Haha, the material of 0.1mm washer is in every where around us.
The side wall of aluminum can is just about 0.1mm thick. Cut and drill a hole, mounting on main shaft, then cut around with a scissor, the thickness of scissor may control the place to cut.
Incredible!!! Your answer is awesome! That's what I did this afternoon, it suddenly came to my mind, and it seemed to work, but I did it thinking that you would not advise it. Your answer "the material for those 0.1mm washers is everywhere" is like an a answer from a Zen Master. Simple and useful solution. THANKS A LOT!!!
alfmateos is offline Find More Posts by alfmateos
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:48 PM
Registered User
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I wouldn't run to many packs back to back consecutively. The hotter the ESC gets the worse it performs. With the stock setup and batteries, you should be able to run a few packs consecutively, but don't over do it. I don't know what your wearing out or knocking out of alignment. But in the summer using the upgraded motors, if i run 2 batteries back-to-back without any downtime for cooling. The second flight will literally brown out on me within a minute or so. I've also experienced weird pitch response in the cyclic and collective from the ESC over heating. Might not be your issue, but you might want to pop the hood after each flight and feel the side of that ESC. Mine gets hot enough after 1 flight that i can feel the heat though the canopy. Then like i said, if i speed into using the next battery right away the heli flies real funny. Kind of loose and pitchy feeling and then blacks out and crashes. Just a suggestion.



The only thing that i think you will encounter that you will dislike about the V120 is the fragility of the tail drive system compared to your Genius. You will probably want to stock up on tail drive gear sets and order a slipper clutch eventually, depending on how much you crash or slap your tail on things. The slipper clutches are really worth the investment. Sadly Bob has sold out and for the time being, stopped making his clutches. Though i get the feeling if his arm was twisted hard enough... I'm sure there are a few people out there with stock in his clutches too that might be willing to part with one. But for the time being there is a slightly more expensive alternative you can find on ebay. It's a little over engineered, but it works good and seems like it will be worth the money in the long run too. Either slipper clutch works great. In my experience with them both they each have little pros and cons. But both do their job excellently, and that is saving your gears from grinding in a crash or tail slap.
Actually the cheapest 'slipper clutch' I have is to allow main shaft collar to slip. Don't screw the main shaft collar to the latch, instead screw them on the smooth side, and most importantly, don't use too much strength to screw, it should be snug just enough to prevent the main shaft from slipping during inverted flight.
In crashes, when the tail is stopped and main rotor keeps spinning, the main shaft slips down and the gear is no longer attached, thus prevent gear from getting damaged.
Since having this mod, I did not replace the gears for > 20 crashes so far, some of them is even tail in crash.
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:09 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
Haha, the material of 0.1mm washer is in every where around us.
The side wall of aluminum can is just about 0.1mm thick. Cut and drill a hole, mounting on main shaft, then cut around with a scissor, the thickness of scissor may control the place to cut.
I made two for you in one min, the outer diameter is just 3.5mm.

Not only that, I also added it to the main blades damper to harden it, the skill developed from my first heli Walkera 52# until now, every heli from Walkera all get too soft in the damper.
that looks really interesting! where do u use these washers on? on the main blade damper (is it the rubber rings in the rotor head?) and also anywhere else?

thank you.... =)
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:34 AM
Heli addicted.
amartolos's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thloh85 View Post
Actually the cheapest 'slipper clutch' I have is to allow
Since having this mod, I did not replace the gears for > 20 crashes so far, some of them is even tail in crash.
100 crashes with bob's slipper clutch and only once i ve lost a gear>Actually i never found the b gear ...after the crash.
amartolos is offline Find More Posts by amartolos
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Tail Booms in the UK

I've been lurking here a while -well actually reading shed loads of threads and I'm just about up to speed on all things Walkera 120 size.

I was having trouble finding a suitable supplier for DIY tail booms in the UK since the postage from USA is prohibative to say the least.

Anyway I finally found a place in the UK that does them with only £3 P&P ... the guy even cut them to approx lengths to save on the shipping.

SQUARE TUBE 3.0mm x 750mm (2mm round internal bore) £2.99

http://www.conceptmodels.co.uk/CARBON%20MATERIALS.htm

One length makes enough for 4 booms & I got 5 lengths (which worked out about 90p a boom inc P&P) so I have a few in reserve now for when I have gravitational issues
rangebound is offline Find More Posts by rangebound
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Chow's Avatar
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
And buzzflyer.co.uk?
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new heli from walkera HIKO400? xyzy2 Micro Helis 15 Jan 12, 2012 11:16 AM
Sold Align 70A ESC W/BEC from 500/550 class Heli NEW! HD Hucker Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Oct 13, 2011 12:37 PM
Discussion Ultra Durable Diamond Mini Gyro 3 Channel Indoor Ready to Fly RC Remote Control Heli LittleG Coaxial Helicopters 32 Jan 14, 2011 12:55 PM
Discussion Walker 4#3 throttle problem Ė new heli Ronon Micro Helis 2 Jan 24, 2009 04:22 PM