HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2012
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
anybody had any luck doing rolls or left and right flips with the v120do2s. Mike
Rolls are very problematic with this bird, even with the Mini CP. I only attempt rolls with the Mini - if things go horribly wrong, much easier to fix.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:23 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,003 Posts
Quote:
anybody had any luck doing rolls or left and right flips with the v120do2s. Mike
I can do bad looking L rolls and flips with the V120D02S. You have to time the collective well or else the heli will end up more than 10 ft to the left. It is much more difficult to do R rolls and flips because the heli tends to rotate badly as it rolls. It will be easier if you just do half rolls/flips. I no longer do complete R rolls/flips because I don't think it is worthwhile risking a crash.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:20 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,129 Posts
+1
I have yet to see myself a nice R roll with this V3 that I own.
Left roll, forward flips, and back flips are no problem.
Same here, I have given up & stopped right rolls. It's beyond my skill.
On the positive side, because of this heli, I now do left rolls, inverted-to-upright (through left roll), or anything to left roll. I'm just a beginner/intermediate flyer. And my comfort level was limited to right rolls, not anymore. Now, I do left rolls on my 300X

It does nice & clean forward flips, just like the mCPX without loosing altitude nor drifts.

Zadaw, is yours the 3 axis? I'm curious, when you mentioned "You have to time the collective well" on right rolls. I do the same, but I was thinking it has to do with my 6axis. Well maybe not, as it does not react the same on left roll.
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Aug 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
124 Posts
Whta kind of battery life should be expected? My batteries are about ten months old with thousands of flights and they seem to not have much life anymore!!!

My forward and back flips are great but left and right flips are not so good. Ill try to work on the left ones. Mike
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
I'm thinking about trying the spin 16300 kv motor. What size pinion would you all recommend. I haven't done a lot of looking but haven't found any specs on the stock motor. I count 10t on the pinion & 100t on the main gear.

Has anybody tach'd the HS stock or otherwise on the V120?

Thanks for the help
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:06 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
490 Posts
This topic makes me confused. All people complaining about doing flips and rolls being almost impossible. Thing is youtube is filled with clips where people do just that without issues. What's even more confusing is that I've seen a good 3D pilot doing it with the heli of a friend of mine at the club who never flown any Walkera before..
Chow is online now Find More Posts by Chow
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:09 PM
michigan
Joined May 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Well today, between the rain storms. I flew the V120D05CS-Sport and The V120D02S-Pro here is a run down of how they are outfitted.

V120D02S-Pro is the 2G version and is outfitted with following upgrades:

The BenMLee Slipper clutch.
Turbo Ace 215 motor (Thanks again Travis!).
Extreme Yellow Canopy & landing skids.

V120D05CS-Sport is the 2G version and is outfitted with the following upgrades:

The Extreme Spin 16,300kv motor.
A 2622V RX from the D02S.
The main shaft, rotor head and blades from the D02S.
Extreme Carbon Fiber horizontal stabilizer fin.
Extreme white canopy.
The Integrity Handiwork Air Frame Durability upgrade for the RX Shelf.
Modified Extreme landing skids
Maybe a few that i missed.. Boy that D05 needed some work. But now it's as good as the d02S, if not better in some ways, worse in others.

Here is a comparison video of both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX45V...ature=youtu.be

And here is some of the parts i picked out of the trash before i threw out the rest. Its just from half of last months heli trash, and this months too. If you learn anything from this picture it should be, don't buy a v450! Skip right over to align or something else! None of those 450 gears are from pilot error. Every last one is from electronic failure. Most of them, sadly, are from after replacing the Walkera ESC and servos.
Hey just wanted to know what pinion are you using on your spin 16300
Thanks George
george48184 is offline Find More Posts by george48184
Last edited by george48184; Aug 21, 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:13 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
986 Posts
Quote:
Whta kind of battery life should be expected? My batteries are about ten months old with thousands of flights and they seem to not have much life anymore!!!

My forward and back flips are great but left and right flips are not so good. Ill try to work on the left ones. Mike
battery life depends on the battery specs and motor your running which you didn't mention.

I run a HP08 motor on 900mah 25c packs I got from ebay and get about 6-8 minutes depending on how aggressively I fly.
You didn't say how many packs you have but unless those thousands of flights are split up amongst 20 or more packs I would say I'm not at all surprised they don't have much life anymore
candy76man is online now Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:18 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
This topic makes me confused. All people complaining about doing flips and rolls being almost impossible. Thing is youtube is filled with clips where people do just that without issues. What's even more confusing is that I've seen a good 3D pilot doing it with the heli of a friend of mine at the club who never flown any Walkera before..
I don't think any of us have claimed to be great 3d pilots (I'm not one at all, yet). I have no doubt an experienced 3d pilot could make the v120 do anything they wanted without much trouble.
candy76man is online now Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbons View Post
I'm thinking about trying the spin 16300 kv motor. What size pinion would you all recommend. I haven't done a lot of looking but haven't found any specs on the stock motor. I count 10t on the pinion & 100t on the main gear.

Thanks for the help
I'd try an 8 or 9 tooth pinion. I'd try the 8 tooth first to see how it performs and how the batteries like it.

I run 7 tooth on HP08 16,500kv (actually ~ 17,800kv) and get good performance but I use OS 400mah 20C batteries to keep the weight down. With bigger batteries I'd run an 8 tooth.

Good Luck, Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Dec 2004
124 Posts
This is 12 packs and they are turngigy 950s and the 950 batteries off of ebay. When they were new i got about 6 to 8 minutes. Now a fresh charge will be about 2 or 3 minutes. All stock V120d02s motors I have three helis and they are all about the same. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
battery life depends on the battery specs and motor your running which you didn't mention.

I run a HP08 motor on 900mah 25c packs I got from ebay and get about 6-8 minutes depending on how aggressively I fly.
You didn't say how many packs you have but unless those thousands of flights are split up amongst 20 or more packs I would say I'm not at all surprised they don't have much life anymore
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Thanks Don.
Do you have a link to the 8t pinions?
Also wondering what hs you're getting?
When I run those #'s through the hs calculator I get a high hs of 5122.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
I'd try an 8 or 9 tooth pinion. I'd try the 8 tooth first to see how it performs and how the batteries like it.

I run 7 tooth on HP08 16,500kv (actually ~ 17,800kv) and get good performance but I use OS 400mah 20C batteries to keep the weight down. With bigger batteries I'd run an 8 tooth.

Good Luck, Don
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Zadaw, is yours the 3 axis? I'm curious, when you mentioned "You have to time the collective well" on right rolls. I do the same, but I was thinking it has to do with my 6axis. Well maybe not, as it does not react the same on left roll.
- Spyro
Mine is 3 axis. I meant L flip when I mentioned collective management. I think you have to apply some R rudder during R flips to stop the heli rotating.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Dec 2004
124 Posts
I charged up some new turnigy 950s that i had on hand and went out and flew and couldnt believe the power i had. Over 8 minutes and still flying strong. The old batteries have just went bad slowly so didnt notice how weak they were.

Quote:

Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:57 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,896 Posts
Quote:
It's all how you control the sticks. You can see me doing rolls and flips in my youtube videos I can do left rolls pretty well. Right rolls i do okay, but are pretty sloppy. I think it helps that i have an upgraded turbo ace 215 motor. The high head speed helps a lot, i think. It does make the collective controls more sensitive too though. But i was able to do them with the stock motor too. You just had to be more precise with the collective timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbons View Post

Thanks for the help
I don't know about the actual math. But the Extreme spin motor is pretty good. The Turbo Ace 215 is better. Neither should be ran at 100% flat throttle with the stock pinions though. It will over heat the ESC in the summer heat. But running like 80% or something is good and powerful with extra left to shove for short bursts if you wanted to give the extremes more. I use the stock D02S pinion with both the Turbo Ace 215 and the Extreme spin 16,300. I don't have a good tachometer but the extreme spin might get higher head speeds. It's really hard to tell. But the turbo ace seems to have more torque and just performs better (with stock 10T pinion). Smaller pinions should probably be used, but i just run mine with the throttle lower instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george48184 View Post
Hey just wanted to know what pinion are you using on your spin 16300
Thanks George
To be clear, the spin motor is currently on my D05CS. I think i'm using a 15T pinion. I was using the stock 10T pinion on the D02S though. The stock pinions will work, but they are not the best match... probably. Smaller pinions will probably be better, but again i just do the lazy thing and run the throttle lower. I think with the spin motor though, i do use like 90-100%. The Turbo ace motor just seems so much better. I havn't clocked it but i'm pretty sure it's higher than the reported 15000kv or even the 16,300kv the spin motor claims. From what don has been saying his HP08 motor is probably just as good as the turbo ace 215 too. But there are different versions of the HP08 motor, so you have to find the right one.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk