SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:50 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Well, I almost crashed my heli because of this 6axis.
THE HELI FLEW ON IT'S OWN DIRECTION during a fast bank turn.
My choices were:
- let it hit the BIG tree
- Throttle hold, & let it land on the roof
- Keep flying & PUSH my luck! Which I did. I was able to re-gain control & stability, Whooo!

Please post any helpful advise if you have or find any, other than replacing the RX to 3axis.

I wish that the 6axis ON/OFF switch on the Rx was not disabled.

- Spyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
After last nights storm it was very calm this morning. I took the V120D02s and D05 out to the soccer park close to my house. It's about five soccer fields in a row so it's very long. On one side it's got a row of trees and small houses and the other side has railroad tracks. There's plenty of room long ways but you still have to be careful not to get into the trees.

Flying this 6 axis gyro on the D02s is still very different from the 3 axis. In fast forward flight I get that pitch up that some people write about on RC groups. It's just hard to get this thing to go fast, dive or go vertical without the gyro taking over too much and trying to level out the flight. On a hard dive it wants to pull up. On a steep bank it wants to level out too early. On a hard vertical climb it wants to level out on me.

I turned the gyro pot down and that seemed to help some but not completely.

I actually pulled off some flips today. I did about three in a row and it went OK. They were big and slow and then I realized later I had the extent pot turned down too low. After those three flips the gyro started to go crazy on me. You know when you spin around on a merry-go-round, get all dizzy and try to stand up. That's how the heli was acting after the flip. It was all over the place all crazy and dizzy while I tried to recover. I ended up in a tree but got the throttle hold on just in time. I moved the servos to find it and then climbed up and got it. No damage.
I then got up high and tried some more flips and it still had the dizzy affect. When I came down to land it sort of had turrets syndrom or something because it had this random twitch. Once I turned it off and re-binded it was fine again. Then I tried to fly inverted. I got it over but crashed right away. I tried again and this time remembered to pull down on the elevator to keep it up in the air. This time it went better but I was too low and ended up crashing and tearing the rotor blade off.

I did get in some flights on the V12D05s too. This heli flew really smooth, dove nicely, climbed near vertical with no problem and I even flipped it over once. I started to realize I was having trouble when the heli got too far away from me. After once minor crash I realized the batteries in my TX were way low and affecting flight when I got too far away.
No real damage to the D05 other than a broken rotor blade.

When I got back home, that's when I realized the extent pot was too low on the D02s causing the big slow flips. The TX started beeping at me it had low battery so that's probably why I lost it a couple times. It also occurred to me that I was in stunt 1 with 90% throttle when I should have been in stunt 2 with 100%

In all, not a bad morning. It was a learning experience and made me realize what to do different next time. Other than two sets of rotor blades and a small crack in the green canopy I had no real damage to either heli. I can say that I'm not a huge fan of the 6 axis gyro. For hovering and stationary 3-D it's probably pretty good but getting out in the open for some fast sport flying and it's not that good. The gyro takes over control too much for my taste. I'm going to keep the 6 axis in this heli for now and hopefully learn to fly inverted with it. The extra stability has got to help out some in that regard.

For faster more agile flying l prefer the RX2622 in my V120D05s
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Aug 19, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amartolos View Post
bound in random mode?
The rx would not bind. It was a new rx that had been set to fixed id with 10 or so flights on it. I couldn't figure out why, so I set the tx to random & the rx bound to the tx in random mode. I then reset the fixed id. It solved my problem.
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
dgibbons on the benmlee slipper clutch did you use the spacer for the B gear. In IntegrityHndywrk great write up I see he did. Haven't install mine yet & wondering if necessary. Still just flying Bobs clutch haven't installed clutches on my other 2.
I did not use the spacer.
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:21 PM
Heli addicted.
Joined Jan 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbons View Post
The rx would not bind. It was a new rx that had been set to fixed id with 10 or so flights on it. I couldn't figure out why, so I set the tx to random & the rx bound to the tx in random mode. I then reset the fixed id. It solved my problem.
my rx binds red light is on,gyro is working, servos are moving , motor is not spinning.
amartolos is offline Find More Posts by amartolos
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Quote:
my rx binds red light is on,gyro is working, servos are moving , motor is not spinning.
Is there "continuity" on all the 3 motor wires leading to the ESC?
I heard from others that it's a known issue.
One guys on youtube said that he found out that the 3 wires were heat shrinked but were not even soldered with the terminals.
Might be worth checking?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
After last nights storm it was very calm this morning. I took the V120D02s and D05 out to the soccer park close to my house. It's about five soccer fields in a row so it's very long. On one side it's got a row of trees and small houses and the other side has railroad tracks. There's plenty of room long ways but you still have to be careful not to get into the trees.

Flying this 6 axis gyro on the D02s is still very different from the 3 axis. In fast forward flight I get that pitch up that some people write about on RC groups. It's just hard to get this thing to go fast, dive or go vertical without the gyro taking over too much and trying to level out the flight. On a hard dive it wants to pull up. On a steep bank it wants to level out too early. On a hard vertical climb it wants to level out on me.

I turned the gyro pot down and that seemed to help some but not completely.

I actually pulled off some flips today. I did about three in a row and it went OK. They were big and slow and then I realized later I had the extent pot turned down too low. After those three flips the gyro started to go crazy on me. You know when you spin around on a merry-go-round, get all dizzy and try to stand up. That's how the heli was acting after the flip. It was all over the place all crazy and dizzy while I tried to recover. I ended up in a tree but got the throttle hold on just in time. I moved the servos to find it and then climbed up and got it. No damage.
I then got up high and tried some more flips and it still had the dizzy affect. When I came down to land it sort of had turrets syndrom or something because it had this random twitch. Once I turned it off and re-binded it was fine again. Then I tried to fly inverted. I got it over but crashed right away. I tried again and this time remembered to pull down on the elevator to keep it up in the air. This time it went better but I was too low and ended up crashing and tearing the rotor blade off.

I did get in some flights on the V12D05s too. This heli flew really smooth, dove nicely, climbed near vertical with no problem and I even flipped it over once. I started to realize I was having trouble when the heli got too far away from me. After once minor crash I realized the batteries in my TX were way low and affecting flight when I got too far away.
No real damage to the D05 other than a broken rotor blade.

When I got back home, that's when I realized the extent pot was too low on the D02s causing the big slow flips. The TX started beeping at me it had low battery so that's probably why I lost it a couple times. It also occurred to me that I was in stunt 1 with 90% throttle when I should have been in stunt 2 with 100%

In all, not a bad morning. It was a learning experience and made me realize what to do different next time. Other than two sets of rotor blades and a small crack in the green canopy I had no real damage to either heli. I can say that I'm not a huge fan of the 6 axis gyro. For hovering and stationary 3-D it's probably pretty good but getting out in the open for some fast sport flying and it's not that good. The gyro takes over control too much for my taste. I'm going to keep the 6 axis in this heli for now and hopefully learn to fly inverted with it. The extra stability has got to help out some in that regard.

For faster more agile flying l prefer the RX2622 in my V120D05s
Many thanks for the flight report - it confirms my belief that Walkera has blown it with the 6-axis gyro on this bird. Darned shame too, since it is arguably Walkera's best heli. May have to stock up on the Devo 3-axis receivers.
OrbitalGolem is online now Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
620 Posts
A quick maintenance tip that others have mentioned in the past but wanted to re-iterate - be sure to keep the tail shaft clean. I've been wondering for a while why CCW piros were nasty and getting worse on my D02s. There was usually a 1-2 second delay before she would swing around when doing a CCW piro out of FFF. While replacing tail gears, I noticed that the tail rocker arm was really sticky near the end of full CCW travel. Several cotton swabs soaked in alcohol cleaned the gunk off, followed by two drops of Tri-Flow, wiping off the excess.
OrbitalGolem is online now Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,332 Posts
Quote:
hello , today after connecting my sixth battery pack, the heli dropped off the sky after a while.After taking the canopy off i ve seen that rx had no power.I ve checked and soldered the esc's cable -(the red one that goes to the battery connector), - i did this again in the past - when i was having the same problems.Now after connecting the battery the rx is arming -you can hear the 1st 2 beeps but the motor is not spinning at all after binding -there are no beeps you can hear when the motor is connected to the esc-the rx has the red light on, the servos are working but not the motor.Time to replace the esc? or the motor died?

Other than that i had a very good flying time today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAC4Q...ature=youtu.be
Press down on the RX wire plugs and make sure your servos are all plugged in tight and well seated. Also sqeeze the RX to press the circuit board down inside the jacket and make sure it's stuck firmly to the 2 sided tape inside the jacket.

How old is your motor? I'm pretty sure this is your ESC's problem here. If your motor is spinning still and the out runner is not loose or moving around. Meaning you cannot lift up or wiggle the outrunner around. Your motor should be fine. Usually. Motors don't usually burn out, but they do seize up and bind up. If you have another ESC you can just try and plug your motor into your other heli's ESC and see if it binds and will turn the motor. Motors can go bad, but it's always more likely the ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
dgibbons on the benmlee slipper clutch did you use the spacer for the B gear. In IntegrityHndywrk great write up I see he did. Haven't install mine yet & wondering if necessary. Still just flying Bobs clutch haven't installed clutches on my other 2.
I don't think using the bearing spacer for the B gear is necessary. But it is probably better to use it than not. Something i noticed with stock, and with bob's clutch was that there is a improper gear mesh on the tail which results in some play on the tail rotor. If you hold the main rotor still the tail rotor can move "free" between the gap between the B and C gears. In my case with bob's clutch i was getting a few mm of back and forth movement on the tail shaft because of that improper gear mesh. Since you will be replacing the C gear with a nice metal one. That little bit of gap could be enough for the metal gear to wear away at your B gear over time. Of course, I'm merely speculating. I'm sure it will fly just fine without the spacer behind the B gear though. That bearing shim is just to address this already existing problem with the V120d02S tail box, as well as prevent any wear, like i just mentioned, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
My choices were:
- Keep flying & PUSH my luck! Which I did. I was able to re-gain control & stability, Whooo!

Please post any helpful advise if you have or find any, other than replacing the RX to 3axis.

- Spyro
Spyro, and Travis...... Man, I'm sorry for your experience. Especially for you Spyro, because i recommended the new v120 too you based on all the good reports everyone was having about it, it seemed like most people were happy with them.

Personally, If it's as bad as you are both reporting i would go ahead and order a older version rx and just replace it. MAN. We've all heard it before..... Never buy a first model Walkera..... But, now what the hell are we suppose to say!?!?! "Never buy a.... Walkera?"...... Because all their new helicopters, including the v450 and others are all 6 axis junk! I'm seriously angry right now

Well, as well all get pissed off at Walkera and they ruin their name, again! I have a suspicion they are just going to re brand themselves and bail. I've always had a suspicion that they produce Nine Eagles and Exceed helicopters. So we'll see. But i don't see any reason why they don't have a disable switch for it. Especially since they have a useless dip switch on every RX for the last 3 years or more.

As for the benmlee slipper clutch. I've had about 3 decent spills with it and all the gears are still in good shape! One hit the dirt at full head speed and sheered the gear pin so badly i couldn't even tell where the hole was. It took me a bit to get the sheer pin out. But i strongly recommend checking the tensioner on the clutch before each flight.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Aug 19, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
Many thanks for the flight report - it confirms my belief that Walkera has blown it with the 6-axis gyro on this bird. Darned shame too, since it is arguably Walkera's best heli. May have to stock up on the Devo 3-axis receivers.
I wouldnt say blown it. It seems to be more orientated for beginners and simple sport flyers who, i believe, make up the majority of heli flyers. I think it suits its purpose well. The v120d02s series both are aimed at a different skill set or group of people. The new s towards beginners and the regular s for advanced flyers. I also think this was a better move to have a dedicated and separate 3 axis and 6 axis. I assume this makes it more dedicated to its design, or, is a logical business move at the very least. i have heard little to no complaints on the rxes of both birds on durability and flying. The fact that the 6 axis pulls any flips at all i think is an awesome feat.

to make the most of these two different rxes a person need to buy and use the one appropriate for how they want to fly their heli.

For those beginning with the 6 axis, a 3 axis rx can be considered an upgrade. I know it surprises some people because they think that a newer model anything is automaticaly an overall upgrade. The new rx is nice, but again, its meant as a n awesome aid for beginners and moderate sport flyers, not for the advanced flying techniques where 6 axis would not be appropriate.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:11 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
No i don't think 6axis can do any better on soprt flying...Imh it won't fff nicely as the 3axis did as it keep levering itself and this make it a nightmare for us that fly 3 axis and a step back for those beginners as they have to learn all over again if they get too used to 6 axis.
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:13 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
My choices were:

- Spyro
Take it easy with them bank turns. The 6 axis is not meant to be flown as agressively as the 3 axis.

When i drive my kia around a corner i take it at a slower speed than i would if i had a lancer evolution. My front wheel drive car will not grip as well as the evo's all wheel drive. If you have ever taken a corner on an all wheel car vice a two wheel drive car before you will understand the huge cornering power between the two.

I am assuming this is what you experienced with your heli. It is a six axis, and as i understand it it wants to either be stable upright or stable upside down, but cannot be stable when sideways as it will attempt to autocorrect.

The 6 axis has a stronger autopilot than the 3 axis. Go with the auto pilot, dont fight him. I am sure he played a great part in saving you from that crash.

I dont recomend getting a new 3 axis rx by itself, i recommend getting a whole v120d02s 3 axis bird as you will get a better deal with the spare parts or just having the extra bird. The 3 axis v120d02s goes for 100 dollars give or take ten to twenty bucks. I think that is a great deal for a heli like this.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post

Spyro, and Travis...... Man, I'm sorry for your experience. Especially for you Spyro, because i recommended the new v120 too you based on all the good reports everyone was having about it, it seemed like most people were happy with them.
Hey, don't feel bad at all. Not because of you, I would have had the V120D05 instead, then, that would have been really trouble, since it wasn't a true 3D heli (stock), unless money & time is involved.
Though the 3rd generation D02S is not a perfect 3D heli, it's a QUICK fix. Receiver swap is all it needs.
I'll be mad if this Walkera if it was like my Blade 130X, there is only one issue (tail vibrating like hell) BUT a HUNDRED FIX! ! Horizon still has it & I'm not in hurry to get it back, because I know that the vibration could come back again with a DIFFERENT FIX!

How I wish that Walkera's disabling the 6axis switch is a matter of firmware thing only, and that users would be able to upgrade the F/W to make the switch functional, as an option.

But yeah FFFs, and some sports flying with the NEW D02S is very risky and or ugly. Inverted FF would be merely impossible and something that I probably wouldn't do or trust. So anyone buying this heli, consider the 2nd gen rather.
My brushless mCPX flies a lot more smoother than the 3rd gen D02S. I just have to be careful of pitch management (when 3D), or I could get a tail blow-out, but I'm already used to it, if it happens.

It seemed to me that the 6axis kicks in only when there is not much activity on the sticks (& centered). If the sticks are constantly moving, I think it's on 3axis? But I may be wrong, as this heli is very new to me...

I may consider a receiver swap in the near future, for now I'll enjoy her as it is.

- Spyro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Aug 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:04 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
Take it easy with them bank turns. The 6 axis is not meant to be flown as agressively as the 3 axis.

When i drive my kia around a corner i take it at a slower speed than i would if i had a lancer evolution. My front wheel drive car will not grip as well as the evo's all wheel drive. If you have ever taken a corner on an all wheel car vice a two wheel drive car before you will understand the huge cornering power between the two.

I am assuming this is what you experienced with your heli. It is a six axis, and as i understand it it wants to either be stable upright or stable upside down, but cannot be stable when sideways as it will attempt to autocorrect.

The 6 axis has a stronger autopilot than the 3 axis. Go with the auto pilot, dont fight him. I am sure he played a great part in saving you from that crash.

I dont recomend getting a new 3 axis rx by itself, i recommend getting a whole v120d02s 3 axis bird as you will get a better deal with the spare parts or just having the extra bird. The 3 axis v120d02s goes for 100 dollars give or take ten to twenty bucks. I think that is a great deal for a heli like this.
All i'm going to say is I am damn glad i learned to fly helis on a 3 axis using the minimum gyro stabilizations so that it was me doing most of the corrections while flying. So that i knew how to do it when i needed too. If you have to fly in high winds like i do. Not knowing how to correct random directional influence is going to be a real problem. Training myself with 1/4 turn gyro settings, IMO, helped loads.

Your assertion that the 6 axis is like a AWD vehicle, while the 3 axis is a like a FWD vehicle could be considered relevant. But I have actually been thinking of it more like a 5 speed vs an automatic. But your reference could work in place for my theory here too. You see the problem is that once you learn how to drive on an automatic. Well you never need to learn how, and most people never do learn to drive stick! I mean, isn't it bad enough people already have to RE-learn a lot of the time not to drop the throttle down in a crash and instead use the TH. I mean for a perfect noob 6 axis might be ok. But eventually they will get a real helicopter and feel "stuck" with the 6 axis RX with no off switch because the MFG was either too stupid, too lazy, or too greedy to use the switch that already existed on the RX in the fist place so that you could turn it off.

So, lets theorize this a little. Were not talking about cars, we are talking about RC helicopters. Say, for instance you have your favorite "car" that you've driven reliably for 10 years, but its become worn and rusted. It still works, you'd just prefer to get whole new one rather than fix or upgrade the current one. You go through the motions and in as many as 2 weeks for it to be delivered to your home. Only to find out that the new model only comes in automatic transmission per the manufacturers DEMANDS, regardless of what most of their thousands of existing drivers would prefer. Because the 5 speed has more control, better gas efficiency, and drives better. All in an effort to wrangle in new customers, while only offering what is essentially a car that you hate driving now. OR it could have been only available in 5 speed manual. Making it a useless "Car" because you never learned how to drive manual transmission and end up crashing going around a corner because you didn't know how to down shift, and the "autopilot" wasn't there.

I'm just sayin... I think It's better to learn the hard way. But i do agree that buying a whole second helicopter is better than just getting a new RX. But I'd like to know where do you find v120s for under $100? The places i've looked, the price difference is huge! A new RX will run you about $65 shipped to you in 3-7 days. Buying a new heli is going to be around $180 plus around $25 for shipping. Your already at $200+ and a week to possibly 2 weeks or 30 days for shipping in some cases. But if it were me... Well, you guys should know by now. I would replace the rx AND buy another new heli... lol. It's probably cheaper to build them from parts too, which is easy enough with the v120 size.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
LOL, that's what I try to do now. But sometimes It's difficult to slow down.
But again, with a receiver swap, this heli would fun thing to fly, anytime anywhere.
- Spyro
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:14 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,332 Posts
Quote:
Hey, don't feel bad at all. Not because of you, I would have had the 205S instead, then, that would have been really trouble, since it wasn't a true 3D heli (stock), unless money & time is involved.
Though the 3rd generation D02S is not a perfect 3D heli, it's a QUICK fix. Receiver swap is all it needs.
I'll be mad if this Walkera if it was like my Blade 130X, there is only one issue (tail vibrating like hell) BUT a HUNDRED FIX! ! Horizon still has it & I'm not in hurry to get it back, because I know that the vibration could come back again with a DIFFERENT FIX!

How I wish that Walkera's disabling the 6axis switch is a matter of firmware thing only, and that users would be able to upgrade the F/W to make the switch functional, as an option.

But yeah FFFs, and some sports flying with the NEW D02S is very risky and or ugly. Inverted FF would be merely impossible and something that I probably wouldn't do or trust. So anyone buying this heli, consider the 2nd gen rather.
My brushless mCPX flies a lot more smoother than the 3rd gen D02S. I just have to be careful of pitch management (when 3D), or I could get a tail blow-out, but I'm already used to it, if it happens.

It seemed to me that the 6axis kicks in only when there is not much activity on the sticks (& centered). If the sticks are constantly moving, I think it's on 3axis? But I may be wrong, as this heli is very new to me...

I may consider a receiver swap in the near future, for now I'll enjoy her as it is.

- Spyro
You might try turning the balance delay, if it has one on the RX. All the way down or up. The balance delay reduces the time before the gyro releases back to full manual control after a gyro action takes place. So maybe playing with the pots will help some. I can't say for sure. Aile/elev gyro down too maybe? i don't know how any of this will actually effect flight. I don't have one to test. I think the pots on the Genius CP didn't have any effect on the 6 axis aspect of the gyros either. But i am glad you can still enjoy it. Your right too! I forgot that you were originally going to get a D05. That would have been very ugly for you right out of the box.