HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:30 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
I can see your point. I know that for myself, I can do lots of things with my V120 that I won't yet try with the 450 for the sake of intimidation. I know I'll get there, but at the same time, like Integrity said, a few years ago there wasn't a practical option for a micro, so people had to get past this pucker factor thing earlier in their career than we have had to now.

I like how when I started taking my 'big' 450 to the flying field, the guys kept talking about my 'little' 450, as they all seem to fly 700s and such. I guess it's all perspective!

Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Well now, i am on the fence with that issue. Before a few years ago these little sub-micro helicopters did not exactly exist. If they did they were not great performers. If you were going to start with a 450 it definitely should not be a Walkera. But i think if you learned on a co-axial then stepped up to a FP and went though all those steps moving to a 450 might be okay for a first CP heli. For one reason being that it will be more stable for an experienced pilot that already has mastered flybared, gyro stabilized FP flight and all of it's orientations. So once you have learned how to turn and fly a FP a 450 CP is not an absurd step forward. But obviously you have to realize that is a carbon fiber lawn mower blade spinning at around 4000rpm.

Today there are many sub-micro 3d capable helicopters from a variety of manufacturers to pick from. The emergence of these little helicopters has given birth to a whole new way of learning to fly! But previously bigger than 450 size was the normal RC helicopter to fly if you were going to fly one at all. In fact until the massive amount of lithium supplies were made available in Afghanistan (not long after 9/11) Electric helicopters were kind of just a novelty. If you wanted a RC helicopter before a few years ago it was all about the gassers. Now with lithium readily available and the new technology in discharge capabilities electric is even dominating the 700 and 800 size helicopters in efficiency. Though it seems like there is a threshold where electric drops off and gassers are still holding their own. But i think most hard core gassers are going electric now. With all these options available NOW, of course it seems kind of crazy to recommend a 450 as a first helicopter. But realistically, if you've been in this game for a while it would seem normal. A lot of people here of course will agree that it's cheaper, easier and safer to learn on a v120 or mini CP type heli. But it would probably be more fun flying a 450. It's just most people should not skip the valuable learning step in both flying and maintenance. Because the truth is that a 450 cannot take a spill and get right back up and fly. Farther more if you do not do regular maintenance and check screws coming loose, ect. Your 200+ size helicoper will just explode in the air. So naturally in the current times, plastic and durable is the best learning tool next to a simulator.
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,012 Posts
Quote:
Well now, i am on the fence with that issue. Before a few years ago these little sub-micro helicopters did not exactly exist. If they did they were not great performers. If you were going to start with a 450 it definitely should not be a Walkera. But i think if you learned on a co-axial then stepped up to a FP and went though all those steps moving to a 450 might be okay for a first CP heli. For one reason being that it will be more stable for an experienced pilot that already has mastered flybared, gyro stabilized FP flight and all of it's orientations. So once you have learned how to turn and fly a FP a 450 CP is not an absurd step forward. But obviously you have to realize that is a carbon fiber lawn mower blade spinning at around 4000rpm.

Today there are many sub-micro 3d capable helicopters from a variety of manufacturers to pick from. The emergence of these little helicopters has given birth to a whole new way of learning to fly! But previously bigger than 450 size was the normal RC helicopter to fly if you were going to fly one at all. In fact until the massive amount of lithium supplies were made available in Afghanistan (not long after 9/11) Electric helicopters were kind of just a novelty. If you wanted a RC helicopter before a few years ago it was all about the gassers. Now with lithium readily available and the new technology in discharge capabilities electric is even dominating the 700 and 800 size helicopters in efficiency. Though it seems like there is a threshold where electric drops off and gassers are still holding their own. But i think most hard core gassers are going electric now. With all these options available NOW, of course it seems kind of crazy to recommend a 450 as a first helicopter. But realistically, if you've been in this game for a while it would seem normal. A lot of people here of course will agree that it's cheaper, easier and safer to learn on a v120 or mini CP type heli. But it would probably be more fun flying a 450. It's just most people should not skip the valuable learning step in both flying and maintenance. Because the truth is that a 450 cannot take a spill and get right back up and fly. Farther more if you do not do regular maintenance and check screws coming loose, ect. Your 200+ size helicoper will just explode in the air. So naturally in the current times, plastic and durable is the best learning tool next to a simulator.

More videos with the BenMLee slipper clutch and Turbo Ace 215 motor (rebuilt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKNH3...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkh0W...ature=youtu.be
Of all places in the world, the 450 is still the default recommendation for beginners in Hong Kong. That is not only as the first CP but as the first heli itself. One reason is that there is very little mixing between indoor and outdoor fliers. There is also a lot of snobbery here where outdoor fliers look down on micros as toys.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I used to fly 0.30 and 0.60 nitros and used to wear a safety helmet. I got called a pussy and other abuse for doing so. There was a person who used to drink a lot before he flew and he crashed his heli within a few feet of me. Several years, a person I knew was hit on the back of his head by a 0.60 and became paralyzed. He was awarded $1.1 M in damages last year but the perpetrator had already absconded. He did not have any third party insurance and it is not possible to get it at most flying sites in Hong Kong.

I find the 450 even more intimidating than the 0.30 and 0.60 of old. For a start, the head speed is much higher and there are many more reports of injury with a 450. One of the most common type of injury is from a thrown off blade. I got hit on my finger a couple of years ago and was so shaken that I almost gave up.

That is why I prefer to stick with mico helis. I haven't flown my 450 for a long time. One reason is that I can only fly it at a site where a lot of people fly extreme 3D very close to other people.
Just like when i used to wear knee pads learning to skateboard on a ramp as a kid. People make fun, and even laugh about it after they have scraped knees. Sometimes i feel like the last sane person left in the world...Which by definition, with everyone else being the "normal", must mean that I'm crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
I can see your point. I know that for myself, I can do lots of things with my V120 that I won't yet try with the 450 for the sake of intimidation. I know I'll get there, but at the same time, like Integrity said, a few years ago there wasn't a practical option for a micro, so people had to get past this pucker factor thing earlier in their career than we have had to now.

I like how when I started taking my 'big' 450 to the flying field, the guys kept talking about my 'little' 450, as they all seem to fly 700s and such. I guess it's all perspective!

Rafa
Yeah, anyone that watches my videos can plainly see that i am no where near as able to fly a 450 as well as my other helicopters. But only because the only time i crash my v450 is because of a electrical failure. Which seemed to be every single flight for a long time. So the damn thing has me scared. When it flys right it's nice. Otherwise i'm scared to flip it. My v120 and 4f200 videos are full of loops, rolls, flips and general light 3d. But the most i feel comfortable with the v450 is some inverted flight and maybe a quick back flip. After that i'm waiting for it to glitch and see if i have to run... I got though 3 packs on it yesterday and i can't tell you how happy i am!! But today the throttle was feeling screwy again and i decided to bench it before i crashed. I really think its the servo wire plugs on the servo side. /shrug.

Anyway, i'm sure both of you have seen at least one of my videos and see the places i fly at. The funny thing is, there is a AMA registered modelers club & field the next street over from my house, literally. It has a huge runway for fixed wing and everything. It's really nice. But i don't want to fly around other people. I kind of view flying helicopters like combat. If you don't know anything about it, you probably are going to get really hurt or die on the field. With RC models, there is too many unpredictables. I don't want to get hit in the head with a 747 just because some jackass accidentally flicked the power switch on his TX taking it out of the bag and brought down someone's 747!!... I sure as hell also don't want to be the guy that did it either! So i really try and avoid those clubs and grouping areas. Besides they always feel so biased. Like "oh, here comes that guy with his "little" helicopters again, taking up air space". You know, or whatever, screw you! Lucky for me i have plenty of places to go. I know in some areas you have no choice but to try and get into a club or RC field. I'm just saying they always seem unsafe, and not very welcoming and friendly in my experience.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:44 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Jan 2007
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiend View Post
That because you're using the wrong part..you need this http://helidirect.com/walkera-tail-b...14-p-26019.hdx

The other one is for the 4g6 which has a smaller ball, the only way to get that pitch arm to fit would be to buy the 4g6 tail slider, and change the linkage size on the pushrod
Quote:
I'm not saying it will last, or i recommend it... But i've done the old bore and CA before.... But for the 3 dollars i would just order the right one. All of the ball linkages on the other helicopters OTHER THAN the D02S and NEW D02S are smaller balls.
Yeah, sorry for posting this in this way as I see how I created a confusion.

Some might recall my posting of getting a Walkera tail servo setup going on a 130X.

Well as this is the way it all is on a Walkera, I did the same thing of changing over my push rod and other tail parts to the top, which included getting the swing arm for the 120@ as linked above.

As all the other parts were from the 120S, I got a swing arm for that too as I thought, why not use the bigger balls and links.

Well interesting thing I didn't know about (and I guess remains to be seen) but I guess with the 120S swing arm, not only is the pushrod ball & link bigger, but the same is for the connection to the slider part too?

Reason I say that is, like many as nothing else was out yet, I had gotten a metal slider for my 130X that is made for a 4#6 and that ball fits the swing arm of the 130 just fine.

But in installing the swing arm for the 120S that I got (for reasons mentioned above), I found that the outside edge of the slider connection of it hit the bridge arm of the slider.

Also the obvious part too is how it fit over the ball of the 4#6 slider too as you can see the hole of the swing arms is just to big.

Anyway, as was able to file down some of the plastic at that spot so it seemed like it might miss it enough to at least test my creation so I spun it up in my hand and it didn't seem to work too well. But then when I stopped it, I could see I had tossed one of the connecting arms that go from the bride of the slider to the tail blade ball link.

These btw for getting a Walkera slider to work on the 130X, had to be the HH part but are a little too wide at the root, and a little small in the hole for the pins of the Walkera bridge, so all that had to be filed and drill, so point being, its not a perfect job.

So seeing as this was thrown, I'm figuring it must have happened from it hit the swing arm a few times as that's just where it hits and so at that point I figured, I'd have to get a 4#6 swing arm and hope that part is smaller.

So that's why I was looking at that part when I made that post and just didn't think about how it was the one with the smaller ball.

Btw, in regards to this since I made that post, I have been looking around and what actually might be a really good setup seeing as the ball on the slider seems to be the size of a 4#6 or comparable is first one of the new MicroHeli sliders for the 130X here: http://www.microheli.com/store/produ...roducts_id/808 as this will allow me to not have to modify that connection arms and give me a ball that will fit this next part, and then the Alum swing arm they make for the 4g6 here: http://www.microheli.com/store/produ...roducts_id/188 as then I will not have to fight so much to get a ball for the push rod into the part, and or more importantly, have it come out.

Only thing I wonder about though is, how that would all go together as now I often have to basically bend up the swing arm a little to get it to clear the ball so I can get it over it to pop it on, and with so many issues with the tail of the 130, I have to take it apart a lot. So don't think that would happen to well with a metal one.

May have to start putting that all together first and then slid in the tail rod after and do the work of popping the links from the blade grips every time.

Anyway, got some of the plastic similar parts such as the one I linked coming so will see how those fit first and also just wanted to add that I apologize for taking up so much ink on a thread for which none of these parts or helos apply, but just thought I would explain myself.
WBFAir is offline Find More Posts by WBFAir
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2012
462 Posts
Quote:
Just like when i used to wear knee pads learning to skateboard on a ramp as a kid. People make fun, and even laugh about it after they have scraped knees. Sometimes i feel like the last sane person left in the world...Which by definition, with everyone else being the "normal", must mean that I'm crazy!

Yeah, anyone that watches my videos can plainly see that i am no where near as able to fly a 450 as well as my other helicopters. But only because the only time i crash my v450 is because of a electrical failure. Which seemed to be every single flight for a long time. So the damn thing has me scared. When it flys right it's nice. Otherwise i'm scared to flip it. My v120 and 4f200 videos are full of loops, rolls, flips and general light 3d. But the most i feel comfortable with the v450 is some inverted flight and maybe a quick back flip. After that i'm waiting for it to glitch and see if i have to run... I got though 3 packs on it yesterday and i can't tell you how happy i am!! But today the throttle was feeling screwy again and i decided to bench it before i crashed. I really think its the servo wire plugs on the servo side. /shrug.

Anyway, i'm sure both of you have seen at least one of my videos and see the places i fly at. The funny thing is, there is a AMA registered modelers club & field the next street over from my house, literally. It has a huge runway for fixed wing and everything. It's really nice. But i don't want to fly around other people. I kind of view flying helicopters like combat. If you don't know anything about it, you probably are going to get really hurt or die on the field. With RC models, there is too many unpredictables. I don't want to get hit in the head with a 747 just because some jackass accidentally flicked the power switch on his TX taking it out of the bag and brought down someone's 747!!... I sure as hell also don't want to be the guy that did it either! So i really try and avoid those clubs and grouping areas. Besides they always feel so biased. Like "oh, here comes that guy with his "little" helicopters again, taking up air space". You know, or whatever, screw you! Lucky for me i have plenty of places to go. I know in some areas you have no choice but to try and get into a club or RC field. I'm just saying they always seem unsafe, and not very welcoming and friendly in my experience.
I agree about the inherent danger of being at flying fields. There are a few near me too, but I choose the athletic fields at the local high school after 5 PM. That's one more advantage of a 120 or 200-class heli - there will always be people around no matter where you are, but I haven't had anyone approach me the whole summer saying they were uncomfortable with me flying the V120D02S. I have yet to pick up a V200D03, but that one may raise a few eyebrows even though it's only slightly bigger than the 120. I'm almost certain someone would approach me if I brought a 450 or larger.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Nov 2011
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
I agree about the inherent danger of being at flying fields. There are a few near me too, but I choose the athletic fields at the local high school after 5 PM. That's one more advantage of a 120 or 200-class heli - there will always be people around no matter where you are, but I haven't had anyone approach me the whole summer saying they were uncomfortable with me flying the V120D02S. I have yet to pick up a V200D03, but that one may raise a few eyebrows even though it's only slightly bigger than the 120. I'm almost certain someone would approach me if I brought a 450 or larger.
I too fly at local sports fields, although I do it early in the morning to avoid the heat. I haven't had any complaints about my 120s or V200 or 250. I always try to have someone with me as a 'spotter' to let me know if people approach so that I can set down and wait for them to leave. Also, I find that it creates some good will if you let curious kids with their parents look at your helis if they're curious and it gives you a chance to nicely educate them.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:37 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
I can't recall ever having to replace them. I did do a total rebuild of the tail boom and tail box a few times where i might have replaced the gears because they looked worn, like the one in the picture. But i don't think i ever broke any from crashing or flying the heli.

Yeah, Bob is on vacation from time to time out away from the hassle of, well... US.. lol. Just send him an email and he will respond or just send you a paypal invoice when he returns.
Hello,, Iím back from the cottage for a few days. Note... Iím not on vacation up there Iím cutting down dead Ash trees that have been killed by the Emerald Ash Borer. I have cut down more then 50 of them so far and more to go. And then comes the splitting and stacking of the fire wood. So Iíll not have much free time for awhile.. Heck I havenít even flown anything for month's now..

If you are still interested in buying one of my slipper clutches please let me know. I have a very limited supply left and these will most likely be the last of the real LB ones as I see someone is now making them and selling them on E Bay. As I was only making these as a service to fellow Walkera owners and never as a money making business and now I have found out that my main shaft supplier is no longer going to be handling Walkera heli's or parts I feel itís a good time to let the new guy take over. Thanks Bob
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:05 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
and now I have found out that my main shaft supplier is no longer going to be handling Walkera heli's or parts I feel itís a good time to let the new guy take over. Thanks Bob
So, who's getting out of Walkera. I've seen a US supplier with sales on all Walkera parts lately, and it's made me wonder.

Rafa
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
The blades are the same size and shape. But they took the red splotch off the ends. This could cause them to fly a little different because of the lack of the few micrograms of weight ... Really its all the same thing. Just which ever you like the look of. I like that there are plain black ones available now. Makes them look better when i paint them.
Are you really sure? According to Walkera the new model has a different main rotor diameter compared to the old one. The main rotor head and the main blade grips remained same. The only reason for this could be a different size of the main rotor blades.
H3liN00B is offline Find More Posts by H3liN00B
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:26 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
I wonder what blades other people received their V2's with. The model I reviewed was a sample, and it had the same blades as 'v1'. I wonder who actually has the black blades, and if they can confirm or deny a difference in length. I had also noticed the slight difference in published main rotor diameter that you mentioned.

Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3liN00B View Post
Are you really sure? According to Walkera the new model has a different main rotor diameter compared to the old one. The main rotor head and the main blade grips remained same. The only reason for this could be a different size of the main rotor blades.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:29 PM
Heli addicted.
Joined Jan 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Hello,, Iím back from the cottage for a few days. Note... Iím not on vacation up there Iím cutting down dead Ash trees that have been killed by the Emerald Ash Borer. I have cut down more then 50 of them so far and more to go. And then comes the splitting and stacking of the fire wood. So Iíll not have much free time for awhile.. Heck I havenít even flown anything for month's now..

If you are still interested in buying one of my slipper clutches please let me know. I have a very limited supply left and these will most likely be the last of the real LB ones as I see someone is now making them and selling them on E Bay. As I was only making these as a service to fellow Walkera owners and never as a money making business and now I have found out that my main shaft supplier is no longer going to be handling Walkera heli's or parts I feel itís a good time to let the new guy take over. Thanks Bob
welcome back Bob.
amartolos is offline Find More Posts by amartolos
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:10 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
So, who's getting out of Walkera. I've seen a US supplier with sales on all Walkera parts lately, and it's made me wonder.

Rafa
Lets say he was the best Walkera dealer to deal with and is closing out his Walkera inventory right now.... Good news is there is now another one that is also very good.. Both on the east side of the USA..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Aug 14, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Bob,

although we never had any personal contact, I'm using one of your famous slipper clutches with my V120D02S. A friend of mine ordered two and gave one of them to me. I must really confess, I love this thing! Finally flying over lawn isn't scary any more and I'm really happy now.

Thanks a lot for this small but brilliant invention Bob. Kudos to you!

Regards, Notker
H3liN00B is offline Find More Posts by H3liN00B
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:36 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3liN00B View Post
Actually no i can't confirm it. It would be nice to have the same width blades but a little bit longer on the v120. I would prefer 140mm myself, but the CF ones are just a bit too wide and put too much stress on the main rotor (tail kicks). So i have settled on the stock V120d02S blades as my favorite. Even though I'm fairly sure that reducing mechanical gain will solve that problem with the CF 140mm blades. Also, I do add some tape to the stock ones for looks and reflectiveness. It adds a little weight to the rotor too, i don't know if it helps. But typically heavier blades make it easier to do things like loops. Just IMO. But i don't know for sure if the new ones are any longer. I could maybe send a email to someone that has them in stock and see if he will compare them for me. I donno though.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Aug 14, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:38 AM
Joined Jan 2007
516 Posts
arrrg nade a mistake

Hi

I ordered a v120d02s from wow on the 9. august. I was under the impression that it would be the latest model, but now it seems that it is the old model with the reciever 2622 not 2636 as in the new version. Outdated before delivery so angry with myself for not noticing this. I chose wow because i thought that they would alwas have the latest model, but now it seems i have to revice my chosen vendors.

to make the the V1 into a V2.0 verson what do i need to change. rx, motor and maingear. already ordered the slipper cluch so i will keep onto that.

Hugo
hugo-norway is offline Find More Posts by hugo-norway