HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:20 PM
Joined Mar 2010
497 Posts
Im not gonna get one, i'll stick with the genius CP, got 2 of them and about 200 smackers of parts.

Cant wait to see what they offer next!
helicraze is offline Find More Posts by helicraze
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:35 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıbǝɹ
United States, FL, Lutz
Joined Sep 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Polac View Post
Looks like the LG is attached to the main frame
To me, the sections of frame and landing gear that are exposed look identical to what I have on my V120D01, which definitely has a separate frame and landing gear.

Below is a photo of one of my spare sets. While it does kinda look like the landing gear is an integral part of the frame in my photo, it's not; the frame is attached to the landing gear / battery compartment by 4 screws.
ScottAllyn is offline Find More Posts by ScottAllyn
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:04 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2008
288 Posts
Looks to me like they made the following changes.

1. Main gear has larger teeth and is as thick as the M120 main gear, possibly a different plastic.

2. thicker main shaft that is metal. Who knows what kind of metal but if I had to guess, it is the same metal as the original V120 shaft but is 2.5mm thick and thus would be much stronger. If I made a hardened shaft in that diameter for a heli this size I would probably offer a lifetime guarantee that you could not bend it in a crash.

3. New head design. It looks like the Genius head design but probably scaled up just a bit.

4. New blade material. Also probably the same as the Genius.

5. looks like the tail drive shaft is now metal. Not sure what kind of metal, if I had to guess I would guess aluminum as I highly doubt titanium. Although I would be extremely impressed if it was titanium.

6.? possibly new plastic used on gears, frame and landing gear.

It does appear that the landing gear is like the original 4G6 and V120 in that it is separate form the frame. It looks to be the same design as the V120 and it is attached by screws. If you look in the inverted photo you can actually see one of the screws at the rear of the landing gear.

I find it interesting that they do such a poor job of explaining there own product and don't even tell you all the improvements they have made. I guess they are more interested in just getting it to market to see how many they will sell.

I will have to admit that they are getting really close to building a VERY crash resistant (not indestructible, that's just a silly claim) micro 3D heli but they are not quite there yet. I still think tail gear stripping will be a problem and also bending the feathering shaft. But if that's all I damage in a crash, than I can live with that until the next one.
procrasher is offline Find More Posts by procrasher
Last edited by procrasher; Oct 19, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:08 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Yep looks seperate to me. In fact looks like the frame with the wider rx tray (released with the D02?) and the "upgraded" landing gear released with the 4G6s. If the landing gear hasn't changed it should have. The original 4G6 "round" lg was stronger and lighter. The more recent shape is not nearly as resilient.

Like the one piece canopy. Looks to be the same manufacturing tech as the new Genuis upgrade canopy.

Like the blades.

Hopefully the gears will be a retro fit. I'm still flying a set of teeny blades 90 degrees opposed to the big ones so the head is useless to me...bummer.

Btw, while on the topic of LG.
Any of the latest release gear fit wider lipos than 26mm and fit the Walkera 120 frames?

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:47 PM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAllyn View Post

'Anyone recognize that battery connector?
That JST connector comes on their 20A ESC. That's what's used for that particular motor. Which is junk. It came in the M120 & V120D05.

I still like the idea of the increased durability of this V120 though. Maybe some of the new parts can be used on the older V120's as upgrade parts, including the frame?

AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:07 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyHelifly11 View Post
That JST connector comes on their 20A ESC. That's what's used for that particular motor. Which is junk. It came in the M120 & V120D05.

I still like the idea of the increased durability of this V120 though. Maybe some of the new parts can be used on the older V120's as upgrade parts, including the frame?

AB
If they fit I'll try a frame, landing gear, head, shaft, main gear, and blades..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:32 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,126 Posts
I don't think this is a full attempt at producing an ultra durable heli. What I am concerned about it that this could be a transitional product like the V100D03BL and V100D08 to a Genius 120 CP. The latter would have a completely new frame design as well as a CF main motor and brushed motor (not an advantage).

It is possible that Walkera is releasing this to trump any possible MCPx 120 release. With their experience in 120 FBL heli, this one is likely to fly very nice and will be difficult for Eflight to match. But should Eflight release to scaled up MCPx, the chances are that they will shortly follow with a scaled up Genius CP.

If you look at the receiver. Instead of separate Ele and Ail gyro gain pots, there is only one Ele/Ail gain pot

zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
If they fit I'll try a frame, landing gear, head, shaft, main gear, and blades..
I'm thinking the same thing. But...how long are we gonna have to wait?????

AB
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I don't think this is a full attempt at producing an ultra durable heli. What I am concerned about it that this could be a transitional product like the V100D03BL and V100D08 to a Genius 120 CP. The latter would have a completely new frame design as well as a CF main motor and brushed motor (not an advantage).

It is possible that Walkera is releasing this to trump any possible MCPx 120 release. With their experience in 120 FBL heli, this one is likely to fly very nice and will be difficult for Eflight to match. But should Eflight release to scaled up MCPx, the chances are that they will shortly follow with a scaled up Genius CP.

If you look at the receiver. Instead of separate Ele and Ail gyro gain pots, there is only one Ele/Ail gain pot

I am very happy with the 120 class helis that Walkera has put out, I have 2 V120's, 2 4G6S's, an M120, and the V120DQ02. This would be a nice addition to the fleet But will try upgrading parts first.

Also, nice observation on the Rx. Interesting that they are simplifying it. I wonder if they try the "6-Axis" on this one later.

AB
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:46 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyHelifly11 View Post
I am very happy with the 120 class helis that Walkera has put out, I have 2 V120's, 2 4G6S's, an M120, and the V120DQ02. This would be a nice addition to the fleet But will try upgrading parts first.

Also, nice observation on the Rx. Interesting that they are simplifying it. I wonder if they try the "6-Axis" on this one later.

AB
There is the "used o not used" switch. This suggests that it could be 6 axis gyro switch. This is definitely not a reverse switch as found on other 120 gyros.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
There is the "used o not used" switch. This suggests that it could be 6 axis gyro switch. This is definitely not a reverse switch as found on other 120 gyros.
I spotted that too.

AB
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:09 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
I like it, looks like a good contendor for the 120sr for me, whats the price comparison
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:41 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,492 Posts
Ehirobo is taking preorders for the v120D02S BNF 2801 tx & Devo tx versions for $169 Just thought I would give you guys something to talk about hahaha
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:46 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
never owned a walkera, but at that price I might have to. I have seen the devo before though.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:48 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
nevermind, thought you meant it included the devo. I should really take some time to read before I go running off looking for things