HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:54 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post
For the Skookum when you use ''center stick'' mode, you can still fly 3D but when you release the stick the heli snap back to level, which is not the case with the V120 6 axis.
Sure. I just have to think that if the 6 axis is on all the time, there has be something in the f/w that knows when to apply the 6 axis' input and when to ignore, or delay it.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:23 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Douglas View Post
For my old eye's and in the yard with the back ground I find the Xtreme canopy easy to see.

JD
I agree, they are also pretty durable. The white one is better for visibility than the yellow, but i don't really need the colors for orientation much anymore. It's more for my camera and other people. You can see both of the extreme canopies featured in my youtube videos. I have been flying the same original Extreme canopy on my v120d05CS and v120d02S since i originally bought the first one. Granted the one on my v120d05CS is cracked and CAed back together in like 5 places. But thats what is also nice. If you cover the inside over with packing or scotch tape it won't crack easily. Even if it does a little CA and it's even stronger than before.... maybe a little less pretty though. Maybe i'll post close ups of my body work later

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3liN00B View Post
Btw. did already someone compare the main rotor blades of the new V120D02S model with the blades of the "old" V120D02S? Is there a benefit if I use the rotor blades from the New V120D02S on my old V120D02S?

Thanks for any comments about this matter.

Notker
The blades are the same size and shape. But they took the red splotch off the ends. This could cause them to fly a little different because of the lack of the few micrograms of weight ... Really its all the same thing. Just which ever you like the look of. I like that there are plain black ones available now. Makes them look better when i paint them.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:43 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
It looks like i have underestimated the Extreme Spin motor. The one i got came with poorly soldered connections. I went and installed it in my V120d05CS after fixing it. Video attached.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:08 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Jan 2007
809 Posts
OK.....just how the heck do I get this little ball into the swing arm with this part????

http://helidirect.com/walkera-tail-b...26-p-17042.hdx

Yeah the screw has a slot in it but the hole in the arm is not sized right at all and I have spent like a half hour on this and all I seemed to have done is just rounded out the top of the hole.

Have even tried taping it first with the threaded part of the push rod but didn't help.

Really hope some ones got a nice "quick way" this can be done.

Is the trick to not even try to thread it in and give up and drill out the hole and CA it?
WBFAir is offline Find More Posts by WBFAir
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Jun 2008
467 Posts
That because you're using the wrong part..you need this http://helidirect.com/walkera-tail-b...14-p-26019.hdx

The other one is for the 4g6 which has a smaller ball, the only way to get that pitch arm to fit would be to buy the 4g6 tail slider, and change the linkage size on the pushrod
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:39 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
OK.....just how the heck do I get this little ball into the swing arm with this part????

http://helidirect.com/walkera-tail-b...26-p-17042.hdx

Yeah the screw has a slot in it but the hole in the arm is not sized right at all and I have spent like a half hour on this and all I seemed to have done is just rounded out the top of the hole.

Have even tried taping it first with the threaded part of the push rod but didn't help.

Really hope some ones got a nice "quick way" this can be done.

Is the trick to not even try to thread it in and give up and drill out the hole and CA it?
I'm not saying it will last, or i recommend it... But i've done the old bore and CA before.... But for the 3 dollars i would just order the right one. All of the ball linkages on the other helicopters OTHER THAN the D02S and NEW D02S are smaller balls.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
769 Posts
Incurred my first heli-injury over the weekend. The elevator servo gave out on me half way through a front flip about 10 feet infront of me. It was about the 10th flip on the thing of the day and of course the servo let go when it was inverted and pointing right back at me! I at least had the presense of mind to hit the throttle hold and sort of bat the thing out of the air with my arm. Now I look like I've got racing stripe welts on my arm

This A terrifies me for folks flying their 700 20 feet away and B rekindles my hate of walkera servos. In their defense, this is my beater heli, I'm surprised it didn't lose a servo sooner. I wish it'd died on the ground after a crash though, not in the air. Oh well new cyclic and tail servos on order, clean a bit of blood off the blades... keep flying.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
Incurred my first heli-injury over the weekend. The elevator servo gave out on me half way through a front flip about 10 feet infront of me. It was about the 10th flip on the thing of the day and of course the servo let go when it was inverted and pointing right back at me! I at least had the presense of mind to hit the throttle hold and sort of bat the thing out of the air with my arm. Now I look like I've got racing stripe welts on my arm

This A terrifies me for folks flying their 700 20 feet away and B rekindles my hate of walkera servos. In their defense, this is my beater heli, I'm surprised it didn't lose a servo sooner. I wish it'd died on the ground after a crash though, not in the air. Oh well new cyclic and tail servos on order, clean a bit of blood off the blades... keep flying.
Yeah, thats why i stopped flying my v120 in the house. I refuse to call it a "indoor" heli. It's just too dangerous still. I too have scars on my arm from this thing. BUT! It's a good thing i learned quick on the v120 how to dodge a heli. About a week ago on my V450 i was doing a back flip and the cyclic and everything went non-responsive. Instead of darting at me head on like yours did... No, it did something much more terrifying! It took my last pitch up command and the cyclic went dead. It nosed up a little, putting it in a rainbow pattern going backwards. So basically at this point it was on knifes edge coming right at me like a big ass air plane propeller! I didn't even try to save it, though i might have been able to! I just freaking ran! I just felt something impact behind me and something flew up and hit my leg! No injury. But yeah this is not a perfectly safe hobby. I always recommend using eye protection too. Once saw a 700 go black and crash into a car roof/windshield. The rotor put 2 slices into the metal on the roof... I think that says enough.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
But yeah this is not a perfectly safe hobby. I always recommend using eye protection too.
This would do

Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
This would do

LOL, perfect!

Actually I do always wear my eye protection. I've got good polarized shatter proof lens'd sunglasses from my racing days. Also, this is Tucson, the sun is between bright and very bright even when it's cloudy Makes it easy to remember the sunglasses.

There's absolutely no shame in running from a 450 I sure as heck ran from my V200 when it tried to come for me!
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:15 PM
Heli addicted.
Joined Jan 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
But yeah this is not a perfectly safe hobby. I always recommend using eye protection too. Once saw a 700 go black and crash into a car roof/windshield. The rotor put 2 slices into the metal on the roof... I think that says enough.
yeah tell this to those -irresponsible -guys who suggest to beginners to start this hobby with a 450 or bigger heli just bcs bigger helis are more stable.

I fly for 11 months and even now, every time i am flying my align 450 i think only 1 thing...Thank god i havent started this hobby with this -killing- machine.

i would probably had my head cut off...
amartolos is offline Find More Posts by amartolos
Last edited by amartolos; Aug 13, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:18 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
So true on not learning with 450 and above size! That is way too danger for beginners.
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Oct 2011
201 Posts
I can not imagine how expensive this hobby would be if I had started with a 450. I love the little 100 class helis I started with. Crash 20+ times with no damage. Now that I know how to hover nose in and some FFF, I'm move up to CP with the 120. The 450 is still under construction, waiting for me to master FFF on the 120.
Dave O is offline Find More Posts by Dave O
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:13 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
LOL, perfect!

Actually I do always wear my eye protection. I've got good polarized shatter proof lens'd sunglasses from my racing days. Also, this is Tucson, the sun is between bright and very bright even when it's cloudy Makes it easy to remember the sunglasses.

There's absolutely no shame in running from a 450 I sure as heck ran from my V200 when it tried to come for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amartolos View Post
yeah tell this to those -irresponsible -guys who suggest to beginners to start this hobby with a 450 or bigger heli just bcs bigger helis are more stable.

I fly for 11 months and even now, every time i am flying my align 450 i think only 1 thing...Thank god i havent started this hobby with this -killing- machine.

i would probably had my head cut off...

I used to fly 0.30 and 0.60 nitros and used to wear a safety helmet. I got called a pussy and other abuse for doing so. There was a person who used to drink a lot before he flew and he crashed his heli within a few feet of me. Several years, a person I knew was hit on the back of his head by a 0.60 and became paralyzed. He was awarded $1.1 M in damages last year but the perpetrator had already absconded. He did not have any third party insurance and it is not possible to get it at most flying sites in Hong Kong.

I find the 450 even more intimidating than the 0.30 and 0.60 of old. For a start, the head speed is much higher and there are many more reports of injury with a 450. One of the most common type of injury is from a thrown off blade. I got hit on my finger a couple of years ago and was so shaken that I almost gave up.

That is why I prefer to stick with mico helis. I haven't flown my 450 for a long time. One reason is that I can only fly it at a site where a lot of people fly extreme 3D very close to other people.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:22 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Well now, i am on the fence with that issue. Before a few years ago these little sub-micro helicopters did not exactly exist. If they did they were not great performers. If you were going to start with a 450 it definitely should not be a Walkera. But i think if you learned on a co-axial then stepped up to a FP and went though all those steps moving to a 450 might be okay for a first CP heli. For one reason being that it will be more stable for an experienced pilot that already has mastered flybared, gyro stabilized FP flight and all of it's orientations. So once you have learned how to turn and fly a FP a 450 CP is not an absurd step forward. But obviously you have to realize that is a carbon fiber lawn mower blade spinning at around 4000rpm.

Today there are many sub-micro 3d capable helicopters from a variety of manufacturers to pick from. The emergence of these little helicopters has given birth to a whole new way of learning to fly! But previously bigger than 450 size was the normal RC helicopter to fly if you were going to fly one at all. In fact until the massive amount of lithium supplies were made available in Afghanistan (not long after 9/11) Electric helicopters were kind of just a novelty. If you wanted a RC helicopter before a few years ago it was all about the gassers. Now with lithium readily available and the new technology in discharge capabilities electric is even dominating the 700 and 800 size helicopters in efficiency. Though it seems like there is a threshold where electric drops off and gassers are still holding their own. But i think most hard core gassers are going electric now. With all these options available NOW, of course it seems kind of crazy to recommend a 450 as a first helicopter. But realistically, if you've been in this game for a while it would seem normal. A lot of people here of course will agree that it's cheaper, easier and safer to learn on a v120 or mini CP type heli. But it would probably be more fun flying a 450. It's just most people should not skip the valuable learning step in both flying and maintenance. Because the truth is that a 450 cannot take a spill and get right back up and fly. Farther more if you do not do regular maintenance and check screws coming loose, ect. Your 200+ size helicoper will just explode in the air. So naturally in the current times, plastic and durable is the best learning tool next to a simulator.

More videos with the BenMLee slipper clutch and Turbo Ace 215 motor (rebuilt)

V120D02S Still testing TA 215 and BenMLee Slipper Clutch #1 (3 min 18 sec)

V120D02S Still testing TA 215 and BenMLee Slipper Clutch #2 (3 min 39 sec)
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Aug 13, 2012 at 09:32 PM.