HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:53 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,404 Posts
Got my benmlee clutch kit today and installed it. As integrityhndywrk said everything in the kit seems to be very high quality and tolerances were pretty much perfect. I flew one pack after installing it and everything seemed to work properly...I'll be able to tell better on a still day, flying in windy weather makes it hard to tell if a tail wag here and there is the hardware or a gust of wind.

One drawback is that your pretty much out of luck if that custom tail shaft gets bent...only option for now is a whole new kit and who knows if it will be available later on.
candy76man is online now Find More Posts by candy76man
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Intergrity,

You mentioned how the benmlee slipper clutch keeps the step berrings from spinning in tail box. My heli has developed just that problem. It's an on off vibration that makes just a terrible noise. If I hold her in my hand and run her at half speed I can see the berring spinning in the tail box and making that racket. If I use the tip of a flat screw driver I can put pressure on the berring and stop if from spinning. The sound goes away at that time.
This grinding sound does not seem to affect flight but is very annoying. I've taken it apart and swapped the berrings around but the problem still continues.

I ordered some new berrings but they have not come in yet. Any ideas how to solve this wtihout the new slipper clutch?

Thanks
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:17 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
Bummer, you can most likely replace the shaft with a straight piece of stock. What size is the shaft into the motor? I have some 1.5mm straight shaft that could work. I think that them splining the shaft could work harden it and make it brittle.

Good Luck, Don
Don, It looks like the shaft inside the motor is actually 2mm ish... very strange. They must use the 2mm and then spline it down to 1.5-1.75mm. something like that. I don't have a digital caliper so my measurements are a little off. But yeah, I already investigated taking the shaft out of one of my old v120 stock motors. It just does not line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
Got my benmlee clutch kit today and installed it. As integrityhndywrk said everything in the kit seems to be very high quality and tolerances were pretty much perfect. I flew one pack after installing it and everything seemed to work properly...I'll be able to tell better on a still day, flying in windy weather makes it hard to tell if a tail wag here and there is the hardware or a gust of wind.

One drawback is that your pretty much out of luck if that custom tail shaft gets bent...only option for now is a whole new kit and who knows if it will be available later on.
Well... To be honest. I've always felt that way even with bob's slipper clutch. The main difference is Bob's clutch can be reproduced fairly easily by others should he stop making them easily available for us. This new one could be a one time deal, your right.. Though i personally have not ever bent one of bob's slipper clutch shafts. But i did break it from fatigue. Which i could expect might happen with this new clutch shaft too because of the key hole and pin. So i really hope it is harder and better quality alloy! I would expect that the benmlee's shaft is harder than the stock Walkera shaft anyway. But i really don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Intergrity,

You mentioned how the benmlee slipper clutch keeps the step berrings from spinning in tail box. My heli has developed just that problem. It's an on off vibration that makes just a terrible noise. If I hold her in my hand and run her at half speed I can see the berring spinning in the tail box and making that racket. If I use the tip of a flat screw driver I can put pressure on the berring and stop if from spinning. The sound goes away at that time.
This grinding sound does not seem to affect flight but is very annoying. I've taken it apart and swapped the berrings around but the problem still continues.

I ordered some new berrings but they have not come in yet. Any ideas how to solve this wtihout the new slipper clutch?

Thanks
Are you using bob's clutch?

Regardless. Remove the tail shaft and pop out the bearings. Use a drop of low viscosity CA (or whatever you have, lol) on the inside of the plastic where the bearings go. press the step bearings back into place. Squeezing them in there tightly for about 30 seconds. Be careful not to get it on your fingers or in the bearings. The pressure from squeezing actually pushes out some of the CS and also thins out the CA at the same time forcing out air creating what is called an Anaerobic bond using the microscopic amount of moisture available on the surface. It's actually best if you can remove the oxygen from the area by squeezing tightly. That is the best way to bond metal to metal or to anything else using CA. Less is more also. Do that for both bearings, being very careful not to seize up your bearings with CA. They should hold for a good while. At least till a crash knocks them loose or something like that. Even after the CA breaks free it will hold them tighter than before just from being in there dried up and hard.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
note: my tail setup on my d02s involves the xtreme tail holder, not stock.

for a while now i have had the xtreme tail holder. in regards to how it holds onto the tail rod and the bearings i consider it an improvement. it also looks flashy.

i noticed though yesterday (all day) that the bemlee clutch does not immediately match up with the xtreme tail holder. i had to file down the metal spacer because it was way to tight. tight, as in the tail itself would not freely move with the spacer and gear on. after i filed the spacer down i got it to rotate freely, but i might have filed a bit too much....

also, the "B" gear extends a bit too much and the mesh is too tight on the xtreme tail holder. i had to file the rear of the "B" bearing to get a good mesh not too tight and not too lose.

at the moment, i have the notorious tail wobble back and forth on the heli. Its mainly the gyro, I am going to spend the day trying to find that gyro sweet spot. hopefully the new tail shaft is not going to cause any wobble.

My overall impression of the bemlee clutch is that it is a very nice and solid setup. unfortunately, it did not occur to me to try it on a stock tail holder first before i filed down the spacer.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:07 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Intergrity,

Thanks
The benmelee clutch prevents the tail rotor shaft from spinning in the inner race of the bearing, the outer race can still spin in the tail box though.

What I did to solve that problem is use cling wrap

put the bearing against a piece of cling wrap and press it into the tail box, then use a razor blade to trim off the excess......quick easy and no worries about ca getting where you don't want it. Use two layers of wrap if the bearing still presses in to easy. the clingwrap trick works great for any small bearings that don't fit tight enough, to a point.
candy76man is online now Find More Posts by candy76man
Last edited by candy76man; Aug 07, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:12 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
any body ever heard of or tried this slipper clutch before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-T...item3a77e3bb10

http://www.microlinehobbies.com/Tail...structions.htm

it looks cool thats for sure
You guys in the US are lucky. I just tried to order on and shipping is 24.75 alone to Canada.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:14 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,021 Posts
V120D02S vs. Concrete

After over a year of flying, I still cannot seem to hover a real heli nose in or do a proper pyro. I do just fine in the simulator, though, can even do flips in all orientations, no problem. So, I decided today was going to be the day I do some sort of pyro, no matter what. I chose the V120D02S simply because it is small and a bit less intimidating, even though it is less stable than my trusty V400D02. Things did not go as planned. I got somehow disoriented, and the heli came screaming straight at me nose in. I ducked as the heli flew over my head toward my car--I managed to stop it from hitting the car, and the heli slammed sideways directly into the concrete. Oh yeah, I also was in stunt mode, and so the motor was making that high-pitched sound as it struggled to turn the blades against the concrete. After a few seconds of all thumbs trying to cut the power, I finally got to investigate the damage. Surprisingly, the only problem I found was a cyclic servo popped out and was dangling by its own wire. I popped the servo back into place and then proceeded to fly out the rest of the pack, albeit with trembling fingers.

There is no doubt that the V400D02 is fascinatingly more stable than most other helis, and particularly more so than my V120D02S. I probably would have had a better go of it with the V400D02 than the V120D02S, but if I had screwed up I would have been ducking under the V400D02 before slamming it into the concrete. No doubt, that would cost at least $50 to fix, and then I would have to sort all the vibes, etc. With the V120D02S, all I had to do was pop the servo back into position and then go back to flying. This is a pleasant surprise, but I'm still peeved that nose in and pyros are giving me so much trouble.

Okay, this is a bit off topic, I know. I just wanted to share my latest adventure.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
After over a year of flying, I still cannot seem to hover a real heli nose in or do a proper pyro. I do just fine in the simulator, though, can even do flips in all orientations, no problem. So, I decided today was going to be the day I do some sort of pyro, no matter what. I chose the V120D02S simply because it is small and a bit less intimidating, even though it is less stable than my trusty V400D02. Things did not go as planned. I got somehow disoriented, and the heli came screaming straight at me nose in. I ducked as the heli flew over my head toward my car--I managed to stop it from hitting the car, and the heli slammed sideways directly into the concrete. Oh yeah, I also was in stunt mode, and so the motor was making that high-pitched sound as it struggled to turn the blades against the concrete. After a few seconds of all thumbs trying to cut the power, I finally got to investigate the damage. Surprisingly, the only problem I found was a cyclic servo popped out and was dangling by its own wire. I popped the servo back into place and then proceeded to fly out the rest of the pack, albeit with trembling fingers.

There is no doubt that the V400D02 is fascinatingly more stable than most other helis, and particularly more so than my V120D02S. I probably would have had a better go of it with the V400D02 than the V120D02S, but if I had screwed up I would have been ducking under the V400D02 before slamming it into the concrete. No doubt, that would cost at least $50 to fix, and then I would have to sort all the vibes, etc. With the V120D02S, all I had to do was pop the servo back into position and then go back to flying. This is a pleasant surprise, but I'm still peeved that nose in and pyros are giving me so much trouble.

Okay, this is a bit off topic, I know. I just wanted to share my latest adventure.
All you have to do to move to the next skill level of piro is practicing the pyro in a slow rate of rotation. Say rotate heli 360° in 6 seconds. Simple but very effective.
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Last edited by GTstrudl; Aug 08, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:07 PM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
458 Posts
Navigator 2011: It is great to hear how honest you describe your skills. But you are far from alone in the way you learn. Simulators are very accurate, but the fact that only a tap on the space button will repair a totally crashed helicopter removes the nerves that is the big enemy when flying real machines.
As for orientation my trick is to always imagine myself in the cocpit. This makes nose in easy I think. I do not know how others are doing it.
I am only a sport pilot myself, but hey aren't we lucky to still feel the trembling when trying out manuevers ? I think the day I could do anything without nerves would be one of my last with this hobby.
daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:07 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
2,021 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I've heard that said more than once on these boards, and it's time for me to just do it.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:12 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
2,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggad View Post
Navigator 2011: It is great to hear how honest you describe your skills. But you are far from alone in the way you learn. Simulators are very accurate, but the fact that only a tap on the space button will repair a totally crashed helicopter removes the nerves that is the big enemy when flying real machines.
As for orientation my trick is to always imagine myself in the cocpit. This makes nose in easy I think. I do not know how others are doing it.
I am only a sport pilot myself, but hey aren't we lucky to still feel the trembling when trying out manuevers ? I think the day I could do anything without nerves would be one of my last with this hobby.
It's interesting, with the real heli I can do pretty much whatever I want to do as long as the nose is not pointing directly at me. So, fun flying is not a problem, it's just that one final hurdle of hovering nose-in "under control." I have a feeling that if I could get nose-in hovering down, then pyros would come along just fine.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,279 Posts
Good to hear about your 120D02S' durability.
I'm very new to heli (under 3 months) and will soon get my V120D02S.
I started with mCPX as my first CP and progressed very quickly due to it's durability. I could now fly basic 3Ds (flips, rolls, some inverted flights) on my mCPX & 300X. I still get intimidated flying the 300X sometimes, when flying "aerobatics".
I think that the 120D02S will improve my skills even better. My BL mCPX still gets some "blow-out" tail (occasionally) even with the extended tail boom. It also requires almost FULL negative pitch to keep it inverted. It will pitch pump negative well in an upright position but not on inverted.
I just started with the sim a week ago. The mCPX was my "sim" learning how to fly & understand helis.
Guys on the 120D05 (& owners of the 120D02S as well) are the ones that encouraged me to get the NEW 120D02S which I think is "version 3". Listened with their advise, and it will be my first Walkera.
Hopefully, Walkera will also release a belt driven CP a bit larger than the 120D02
A bit off topic as well.
- Spyro

Quote:

Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Aug 07, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:

Sounds like you have more problems controlling your mind than your heli. You need to just bring your favorite heli up into the air as high as you can. Set the throttle to 100% and nose dive it into the ground, just to see what will happen. After that i promise, if you are not bothered fixing it. Once it's fixed you won't care anymore. Unless your worried about the cost. Then i would have to say your mind is still tethered to the matrix. Neo, BELIEVE! lol. Paper money is worthless anyway. Just know you will find a way to get the money you need then manifest it. It's not all movies and special effects, but i do believe that you shape your reality, not the other way around. If all else fails, I recommend 3 or 4 captain & cokes prior to flying...That should do the trick!

Seriously though.

Learning to Piro 101

Before starting piros you should be comfortable in all orientations in case you have to stop for any reason in an uncomfortable position. The easiest way to get to this level naturally is to hover above CONCRETE using training gear in all of the normal orientations. By floating above a solid flat surface you can hover on the pocket of air. This will help stabilize the helicopter so you can focus on your controls. moving on....

Start off in the "tail in" orientation. Begin to fly a circle circuit in front of you in what ever way you most feel comfortable. Continue repeating your circle circuits until you have full control over the heli in all orientations around the circle. Begin to try to make your circle smaller and smaller and slower and slower. By the time you have gone though a few packs doing these exercises you should almost be ready to just flick your rudder and do a piro! BUT!! You should try to do slow piros first. Ninja masters would have always taught precision, then develop speed. The same is true will all arts, crafts, skills and obviously helis
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:22 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
2,021 Posts

Thank you for the good, detailed advice. I will focus on the truth: the helicopter is not really there.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
575 Posts
hey guys,

ej819 did mention in his youtube video that his custom printed canopy can be found in this forum. Anyone has any idea where I can download them and start making some really cool paper canopy using home printer? haha
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong