HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:47 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thloh85 View Post
IIRC the 6 axis on the V120 can NOT be turned off, unlike the ones on GCP.
However, the 6 axis on V120 is reportedly NOT going to self level the heli. However, I don't have the new V120, so I can't comment any further.
Uhhhg... Yeah, so basically buy the old model unless your just learning to fly... Come on Walkera. Get with the program here. I SERiOUSLY HOPE the new v450 is not the same way. Walkera is going to chase off half their customer base. Along with whatever small portion of users buy their 2702 or 2801 RX for their other brands. It's what? about a nickel worth of chineese plastic to add a dip switch to turn it off? Hell the v120 RX has had a "Not used" switch for ever.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Uhhhg... Yeah, so basically buy the old model unless your just learning to fly... Come on Walkera. Get with the program here. I SERiOUSLY HOPE the new v450 is not the same way. Walkera is going to chase off half their customer base. Along with whatever small portion of users buy their 2702 or 2801 RX for their other brands. It's what? about a nickel worth of chineese plastic to add a dip switch to turn it off? Hell the v120 RX has had a "Not used" switch for ever.
I can tell you that when the Devo third party firmware is ready for prime time I won't be buying any more RX801's. $29 isn't a bad price for an RX and they work great in my 450's but I can get OrangeRx Spectrum compatible receivers for way less than that.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
I can't wait for Devo and Frsky. Cheap, long range telemetry with out Spektrum brown outs.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:11 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,122 Posts
If anyone is noticing performance issues with your older model heli with like 200 flights or more on it it. Well don't throw your batteries away yet! Because i did! OOOOPS! Yesterday I swapped my old D05 stock motor pinion with the D02S pinion. Since i didn't fly many flights on the D05's stock motor it's basically brand new. So i dropped it in my D02 and immediately after removing the old motor noticed 2 things.

1. The out runner was moving around and could lift. The problem here ended up being the little brass locking collar that was pressed on under the pinion to hold everything together had moved up the shaft about 1/4 of a mm or more. I gently tapped it back down, but the old motor just didn't feel right when hand spun still.

2. The magnetic poles in the motor when spun by hand were not very strong any longer. Meaning that when spinning the motor by hand there was no magnetic "notching" occurring. Normally the magnetic poles will reject one another as they pass by pushing the out runner off of them and "clicking" the poles in between one another. This was hardly occurring at all. The poles on the old motor almost didn't seem to care where the out runner was sitting. The new motor was tight and working properly. When spun the magnetic poles were obvious and strong.

So i test flew it with the stock blades and it flew nice again. It was lots more powerful then with the older motor so i put the 140mm CF blades, that i prefer, back on and took it for a flight. The 140mm blades with their larger "disk" and heavier weight allow for better 3d performance. The rotor "glides" a lot better on the air and over all feels like a bigger heli with these blades on them. The problem is they need more power behind them because they are heavy and also wider & longer than the stock blades. So there is more resistance on the head speed when pitch is added quickly. I'm going to have to drop a TA 215 in this heli now. With the stock motor it ALMOST performs as good as my d05 custom again. But you can hear the motor straining a lot.

V120D02S - 3d Flight with auto rotation landing (3 min 46 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:54 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,241 Posts
I just had an incredible run of requiring no repairs after 57 3D fights with over 40 crashes. This was with a single V120D02S and I flew it in the face of a typhoon and also had crashes over concrete. I have not achieved this sort of run before with any other heli and this includes the MCPx and Mini CP. If this continues, I don't think I will want to fly the Mini CP or MCPx again.

I thought this was too good to be true and now I may well be paying for it! After the 57th flight, the rudder servo suddenly stopped working. I then changed the rudder servo and when I tried to fly again, both the ESC and the new rudder servo stopped working. I wonder if it is the receiver board that is broken and which is causing damage to the ESC and rudder servo. I wonder if there is anyway I can test this safely?
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:18 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Being extremely enthousiastic with my Genius CP. No repairs needed in the 9 months I have it except replacing the worn out motors yesterday and getting her a V2 canopy. So interested in the V120D02S V2. Few questions however. Is the TT a bit more crashproof with the V2 model? And it seems you can only fly 6 axis gyro? Does this mean you can't fly it like a normal CP?
Since I'm also flying my mcpx and 450 heli I do want the V120 to fly like a "normal" heli.

I did have a Solo Pro 180 in the past but it was rubbish. After a few flights I gave up on it due to terrible quality and gears getting loose in flight. Don't want the same experience with the V120
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:50 AM
Joined Dec 2011
87 Posts
Hi

Apparently it is not really the same 6 axis of the Genius CP which fought against horizontality, so you can do 3d flights.

But I wonder what does that mean... What's the goal of a 6 axis if not self leveling ?
Or, I mean, what is the help for beginners ?

I just have another question.
Does anybody try the two new canopies ? I would like to know if the green one is better seen...

Thanks
Flo38 is offline Find More Posts by Flo38
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
I personally don't really care about the color of the canopy. I check the orientation on the form of the heli. Most of the times when you fly a bit higher on a sunny day you don't even see the color of the heli.
But if you care about the color I think red is better than green when you fly in an area with green trees. In an open area probably a lighter color is better visible than a darker color.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:13 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,241 Posts
The canopy is very difficult to see but it is alright with me as long as I use white blades. I am currently using the white Solo Pro 180D blades that I strongly recommend.

The 6 axis gyro on the new V120D02S does self-correct the heli whether or inverted. This is supposed to be a great help with beginner 3D.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Ok, so I can safely assume this new V120 is not the right sub-micro for me? I have to look further than.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, LA, Calhoun
Joined May 2012
102 Posts
Chow, just get the 3axis one and get a new v2 canopy. Have you seen the 3axis videos? It's perfectly 3d capable.
cstoutr is offline Find More Posts by cstoutr
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:37 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Ok, so I can safely assume this new V120 is not the right sub-micro for me? I have to look further than.
If you haven't stated flying 3D, the 6 axis gyro should be ideal for you. Otherwise, you could get the one with the 3 axis gyro.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Or I wait for Walkera to release the V3 on which you can select 6 or 3 axis Been reading this topic yesterday and the weak gear is bothering me a bit. Don't want a Solo Pro 180 deja vu
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Jun 2008
472 Posts
On a sunny day , I find the only colour canopy I can see is dayglow orange, or pink, everything else is just a dark silhouette! it's a shame they don't make canopies for the micros in those colours...
fishfiend is online now Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
You mean like this one? Just renewed the motors after 9 months and got another canopy..