HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:55 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
I also think Walkera is making a big mistake by phasing out the 4#6 and V120Do1 line as they were perfect step trainers. Mike
Agree.
GTstrudl is offline Find More Posts by GTstrudl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:55 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
I also think Walkera is making a big mistake by phasing out the 4#6 and V120Do1 line as they were perfect step trainers. Mike
But you have the Super FP, Genius FP, Genius CP, Mini CP, New 6 axis V120D02S... the 4#6 and V120D01 are old hat compared to these. Just listed there are 5 Walkera Helis of which you would need to buy maybe 2 that could get you enough skills to move up to a 450 from a novice.
These new ones are also more robust (not unbreakable) than those old dogs...
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:20 AM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
But you have the Super FP, Genius FP, Genius CP, Mini CP, New 6 axis V120D02S... the 4#6 and V120D01 are old hat compared to these. Just listed there are 5 Walkera Helis of which you would need to buy maybe 2 that could get you enough skills to move up to a 450 from a novice.
These new ones are also more robust (not unbreakable) than those old dogs...
The problem is that i got all outfitted with a 2801 pro trans and lots of parts for the 4#6 and v120 series airplanes including hundreds of dollars of spare parts and now they are all but obsolete. It would have made better sense to include the 2801 pro in all the new hardware except that they couldnt have sold everyone new tx that way. Am not fond of the helis you listed because thay are motor drive tails except the 6 axis 02S and that I wont buy because it dont support the 2801 pro. I was really fond of the V120D01 which was a perfect step up from the counter rotating helis. If they would upgrade the electronics in the V120DO1 as they have the V120DO2S you could stil have the gear drive tail and a better flying heli that wouldnt be old hat. I have now moved on to the V120DO2S which i have had great sucsess with. I have learned to do flips and loops and fly inverted. Unless they support the 2801 i will probably not go any further than the V120DO2S. I tried the M120DO1 and is was too expensive and fragile to fly for a first CP. I can fly my M120 now ok but it is still not as much fun as the O2S Just my 2 cents
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:20 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
If they would upgrade the electronics in the V120DO1 as they have the V120DO2S you could stil have the gear drive tail and a better flying heli that wouldnt be old hat.
You definitely have a point there, a V120D01S with 2801 compatibility would be nice
and the whole 2801 to Devo switch is a pain - I got lucky I got a Devo as a present...

You might get lucky with this whole 'upgradable' firmware thing that they also produce a 2801 firmware for their upgradable RX.
Or you just have to spend the $125+shipping for the Devo10 but once you can start buying BNF devo helis it's going to cost you a whole lot more... you'll have a ladybird, a V120D02S with 6 axis... then a V450D01S etc etc.!
You should be grateful you don't have a Devo - or at least your wife/GF should be!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:41 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
You definitely have a point there, a V120D01S with 2801 compatibility would be nice
and the whole 2801 to Devo switch is a pain - I got lucky I got a Devo as a present...

You might get lucky with this whole 'upgradable' firmware thing that they also produce a 2801 firmware for their upgradable RX.
Or you just have to spend the $125+shipping for the Devo10 but once you can start buying BNF devo helis it's going to cost you a whole lot more... you'll have a ladybird, a V120D02S with 6 axis... then a V450D01S etc etc.!
You should be grateful you don't have a Devo - or at least your wife/GF should be!
What the hell am i supposed to do since i already own all of those models in 2801??!? I don't see why i should have to buy a WHOLE new helicopter for $500 just because they went all Devo on me. Oh yeah!! thats right, since they have not upgraded the gyros or flight ability of the RXs besides adding a 6 axis gyro that i personally don't need and won't use. I'll just buy a AR7200BX system and install it on my new Walkera models that i buy from people that crashed theirs and can't or don't want to fix it for half the cost. Bleh, The things humans will muddle through and put up with if it's done to them slowly enough. I seriously am concerned about parts supply for the 4f200 and wondering about the new v450 too. Are they just going to scrap the old rotor head parts? Will they be compatible? And what the hell kind of BS would it be if my vendor sent me the wrong incompatible version. Of course if the parts are better i'll eventually upgrade. But this hobby can be stressful enough without these inconsistencies set forth by Walkera's poor method of upgrading existing models. I'm pretty sure there is a reason there is like 5 different versions of the Align 450. It's because they are all slightly different.

OR better yet i'll stop talking about it and just put in an order for a Goblin. Did you see??? SAB 630 is out now..... seriously considering it....
http://helidirect.com/sab-goblin-630...it-p-27304.hdx
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jun 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
The problem is that i got all outfitted with a 2801 pro trans and lots of parts for the 4#6 and v120 series airplanes including hundreds of dollars of spare parts and now they are all but obsolete. It would have made better sense to include the 2801 pro in all the new hardware except that they couldnt have sold everyone new tx that way. Am not fond of the helis you listed because thay are motor drive tails except the 6 axis 02S and that I wont buy because it dont support the 2801 pro. I was really fond of the V120D01 which was a perfect step up from the counter rotating helis. If they would upgrade the electronics in the V120DO1 as they have the V120DO2S you could stil have the gear drive tail and a better flying heli that wouldnt be old hat. I have now moved on to the V120DO2S which i have had great sucsess with. I have learned to do flips and loops and fly inverted. Unless they support the 2801 i will probably not go any further than the V120DO2S. I tried the M120DO1 and is was too expensive and fragile to fly for a first CP. I can fly my M120 now ok but it is still not as much fun as the O2S Just my 2 cents
Agreed on the V120D01 - I will never sell that bird simply for the reason that it almost single-handedly was responsible for getting me to a V120D02S and Mini CP faster. She holds a special place in the heli-flying chamber of my heart. In hindsight, I now appreciate the TBE that I could never quite dial out of that old receiver unit because it forced you to stay on the sticks always. I got a kick at times seeing all the posts in the D01 forum detailing often vain attempts at eliminating its last bit of TBE. I just flew the damned thing. I suspect the Mini FP is so bloody stable that you can take your hands off anytime you choose - that's not necessarily good training for a CP bird.

I'm fine with Walkera phasing out production of the D01 if it frees up additional production capacity for other CP birds, though I hope that spares are provided for a while longer. In any case, I'm stocking up on spares to last me a lifetime. Considering how tough the D01 is, one shouldn't need more than a medium size box to hold all those. Heck, I think I blew through only two rear tail gears in over four months of flight learning - one advantage of the D01's relatively low head-speed.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
Agreed on the V120D01 - I will never sell that bird simply for the reason that it almost single-handedly was responsible for getting me to a V120D02S and Mini CP faster. She holds a special place in the heli-flying chamber of my heart. In hindsight, I now appreciate the TBE that I could never quite dial out of that old receiver unit because it forced you to stay on the sticks always. I got a kick at times seeing all the posts in the D01 forum detailing often vain attempts at eliminating its last bit of TBE. I just flew the damned thing. I suspect the Mini FP is so bloody stable that you can take your hands off anytime you choose - that's not necessarily good training for a CP bird.

I'm fine with Walkera phasing out production of the D01 if it frees up additional production capacity for other CP birds, though I hope that spares are provided for a while longer. In any case, I'm stocking up on spares to last me a lifetime. Considering how tough the D01 is, one shouldn't need more than a medium size box to hold all those. Heck, I think I blew through only two rear tail gears in over four months of flight learning - one advantage of the D01's relatively low head-speed.
While not all nostalgic for the old FBL programming, I do genuinely miss the D01. I went from a 4#6 Bell to a D01 to an M120, D02S and now a V200D03 and I feel like the D01 taught me far more about how to fly the CPs than anything else. It also made me a VP tail snob

I think that the new 100 size helis are missing something that made the D01 great and honestly that was the risk of breaking it. The D01, IMHO, exists on a fine line like the D02S. You knew it could be broken if you did something dumb with it and so it taught caution and careful progression but at the same time it really was durable enough where the majority of crashes were pretty harmless if you got it shut down in time. Maybe I liked the Radd philosophy a bit too much but I do believe that if you do something dumb with the heli there should be some consequences not just picking it back up and not caring or thinking about why you crashed while you piece it back together
TucsonFlyer is online now Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:01 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,135 Posts
The 4#6s and V120D01 were solid and reliable models. However, just about everything went wrong when Walkera added an extra servo to make the 4G6s and V120D02. Every thing is alright until you have your first crash. Then quite often, it sets off a series of electrical and mechanical events that result in more crashes and end in a complete nightmare. It was as adding the extra servo was beyond Walkera's bandwidth. The V120D02S is the model that put an end to that.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
I saw a pic of a protos mini the other day, and fell in love with the looks. I even fantasized about buying one of those kits but since i am not even close to the level of awesome at flying yet i will refrain.
Still though, its got a sexy canopy and i wanted it.
Anyways, here is the best i could do at improvising. I tried paint at first but failed miserably, so instead i tried vinyl sheets.
The heli in the pics is my v120d05 with a modified d02s canopy. I ripped off.... eh hem, i mean, i borrowed the protos mini style to see how it would look. Not my best work since i was in a hurry to finish, but definitely looking forward to future projects. At the moment, i think that canopy is indestructable.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:03 PM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
I saw a pic of a protos mini the other day, and fell in love with the looks. I even fantasized about buying one of those kits but since i am not even close to the level of awesome at flying yet i will refrain.
Still though, its got a sexy canopy and i wanted it.
Anyways, here is the best i could do at improvising. I tried paint at first but failed miserably, so instead i tried vinyl sheets.
The heli in the pics is my v120d05 with a modified d02s canopy. I ripped off.... eh hem, i mean, i borrowed the protos mini style to see how it would look. Not my best work since i was in a hurry to finish, but definitely looking forward to future projects. At the moment, i think that canopy is indestructable.
Looks great there, now, if protos would come up with sub micro or even micro sized heli...
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
120 Posts
I have painted a carbon fiber look canopy, with transparency film to make it much shinning and lighter than photo paper.

V120D02S Film Canopy (6 min 24 sec)
ej189 is offline Find More Posts by ej189
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
It also made me a VP tail snob
Nothing wrong with that

I have to say though that I'm impressed with my V100D01 with 2.9g tail motor upgrade, it's not as good as VP tail but better than stock.

It's funny though how we've all bitched about what broke during a crash and then when the manufacturer tries to improve stuff we can bitch about the fact that it doesn't break anymore...

Is it just our sentimentality which doesn't want to see 'my first heli' be killed off? The new kids - will they feel the same about the mini CP as we all did with our V120D01/V100D01/4#6/CB100 ? I doubt it.
We should feel grateful for our right of passage...

But then what of the guys that used to fly without gyros/mechanical gyros etc... what must they think of us softies with everything electronically fly-by-wired?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:19 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
I have painted a carbon fiber look canopy, with transparency film to make it much shinning and lighter than photo paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOoBO8_GLhI

WOW! 'nuff sed.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:31 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,626 Posts
Quote:

Transparency film.... why didn't i think of that! DOH! You just made paper printed canopies a viable option for me now. That actually looks close to a real deal too. Not bad.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:24 AM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:

That is bad ass. I have never heard of tranparency film but glad you brought it up, something for me to look into so i can start making quality custom canopies like the one you got. Too bad i suck at painting... what kind of paint are you using? Spray paint?
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter