HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:01 PM
Heli addicted.
Joined Jan 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiggio View Post
I agree. I'm in the same boat, a beginner.

I bought the Genius only because the Mini wasn't available yet. Used the 6-axis until I got comfortable, then turned it off and have been working with 3-axis.

I want something that can fly outdoors, so I'm thinking my next will be a new D02S.
120s is wind resistant ...

Walkera V120D02S.Maiden Flips. (4 min 50 sec)
amartolos is offline Find More Posts by amartolos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
I would like to try some of the new heli copters however since it seems like all new helis have to be devo i am sticking with only helis that support 2801 pro tx. Guess that means that the
v120do2s is the last one for me. It is a fine flying bird tho hand has tuaght me how to flip and fly upside down. I was going to upgrade my m120do1 but now it looks like i am going to strip it for parts and put all the pieces in my V120Do2s helis. I also think Walkera is making a big mistake by phasing out the 4#6 and V120Do1 line as they were perfect step trainers. Mike
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:08 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
I would like to try some of the new heli copters however since it seems like all new helis have to be devo i am sticking with only helis that support 2801 pro tx. Guess that means that the
v120do2s is the last one for me. It is a fine flying bird tho hand has tuaght me how to flip and fly upside down. I was going to upgrade my m120do1 but now it looks like i am going to strip it for parts and put all the pieces in my V120Do2s helis. I also think Walkera is making a big mistake by phasing out the 4#6 and V120Do1 line as they were perfect step trainers. Mike
if i were in your shoes i would leave the m120 alone, thats a nice ship just as is. if anything i would update the head with the d02s head and shaft setup and switch out the rx for either the newest edition d02s rx or the original d02s rx. that should make it very crash proof and pleasant to fly.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
if i were in your shoes i would leave the m120 alone, thats a nice ship just as is. if anything i would update the head with the d02s head and shaft setup and switch out the rx for either the newest edition d02s rx or the original d02s rx. that should make it very crash proof and pleasant to fly.
I did the head update on it and I put one of the new 02s recievers in BUt it still dont fly like the V120Do2s. Mine has the hot rod motor sold by Wow and it sucks the battery down fast. And it just dont seem to fly nearly as good as the o2S. I might play with the set up again and see if i can make it fly better. Mike
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:14 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,119 Posts
My v120d02S has been making a funny kind of clanky noise when i spin it up. I was investigating and it seems it's the motor. The out runner seems to wiggle around a little bit loose. Has anyone else had this issue? There is no telling how many flights this motor has had. Probably 50+

I'm assuming a new motor should be ordered soon. Has anyone tried to fit the D02s motor pinion on the Turbo Ace 215 motor?
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:25 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,119 Posts
I've decided I will mention this here also because the D05 thread is basically dead and some of you guys here might have a D05 you'd like to revive. I have made my V120d05CS-pro into a very good 3d flier. I don't know if it will ever hold the tail as well as the D02s it's quite good and i often prefer to fly my D05CS-Pro over my D02s because of it's smoother, quieter flight. The belt drive tail produces less vibes and noise and is way more durable than the D02S's tail.

Over all the durability of this upgraded D05 model is greater than the D02S except for the main gear, which cannot be helped. The flight characteristics are similar but the D05CS-Pro just has more power with the "pro" upgraded motor.

Anyway, here is the link to my V120D05CS-Pro "build log" in hopes that it will help someone with this endeavor to upgrade the v120d05 V2.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post21933811
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Iflyervs1, I also have the 915 motor in my M120 and I'm lucky to get more than four minutes out of a 900 mah pack. There's no doubt it sucks the juice and runs very hot too. Between the motor and ESC, everything on this heli gets fire hot after just one pack. It's been this way for a year and it's still flying strong so I've left it alone.

Integrity, are you still running the stock motor on your D02s? I've not had any wobble in mine but it's not had 50 flights on it either. Time will tell.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Dec 2010
67 Posts
Getting ready for a long deployment soon...I think i'm going to pick up a v120d02s to replace or cohab with my d02(till i run out of parts).

Is the stock motor enough for plenty of headspeed on flips and loops, etc? What motor are people upgrading to/with what esc?

Anyone advise yes or no on the "NEW" do2s?? I've heard bad things about 6 axis from other helis...I'd like to get into some more wild 3d but haven't mastered inverted anything yet, so my options are lots of sim time for inverted and go with 3axis or lean on the 6 axis more for inverted. If i give up much control/performance for the stability i'm inclined to progress slower and sim a lot.

What are the most common breakages?
on the d02 I've been through lots of mains, equal feathering shafts, several swashes, just about every gear...5-10crashes out of 50packs a month with some or all of those breakages each month.

So in other words run through what you think i should get for a 3 month supply with mild 3d.

Rob
penderperson is offline Find More Posts by penderperson
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:54 AM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penderperson View Post
Getting ready for a long deployment soon...I think i'm going to pick up a v120d02s to replace or cohab with my d02(till i run out of parts).

Is the stock motor enough for plenty of headspeed on flips and loops, etc? What motor are people upgrading to/with what esc?

Anyone advise yes or no on the "NEW" do2s?? I've heard bad things about 6 axis from other helis...I'd like to get into some more wild 3d but haven't mastered inverted anything yet, so my options are lots of sim time for inverted and go with 3axis or lean on the 6 axis more for inverted. If i give up much control/performance for the stability i'm inclined to progress slower and sim a lot.

on the d02 I've been through lots of mains, equal feathering shafts, several swashes, just about every gear...5-10crashes out of 50packs a month with some or all of those breakages each month.

So in other words run through what you think i should get for a 3 month supply with mild 3d.

Rob
I can comment on the durability - Most of my crashes (in fact all, so far, about 10 crashes) end up with no damage. Note however I do 100% of the time throttle cut before crashing, and I fly on lake side, land is not solid concrete, but they're no where near soft either.
One thing I wanna say to increase durability:
1. Replace the main gear to main shaft pin with paper clip - The paper clip will shear on crashes, absorbing the impact.
2. Don't put the main collar on the edged spot. Screw them on the smooth side of the shaft, so that it can slip up when crashes happens. This helps to avoid servo gears getting stripped imho.

The only thing that broke on my d02s is skid. I lost a link too, but found it on the same day. The main blade is a huge bas**** for pain, there are scratches all over the plastic blade, but it didn't get chipped for so many crashes on it
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:40 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Iflyervs1, I also have the 915 motor in my M120 and I'm lucky to get more than four minutes out of a 900 mah pack. There's no doubt it sucks the juice and runs very hot too. Between the motor and ESC, everything on this heli gets fire hot after just one pack. It's been this way for a year and it's still flying strong so I've left it alone.

Integrity, are you still running the stock motor on your D02s? I've not had any wobble in mine but it's not had 50 flights on it either. Time will tell.
Travis, yes it's the stock motor. I can actually lift and move the out runner around some with my fingers. My stock D05 motor, sitting in my parts box does not do this. I really just need to switch the pinions over and i have a motor, huh. Didn't think of that till just now lol. Anyway the D05 motor's out runner does not move around much when i wiggle it with my fingers. I figure there is a joint going bad or something. They probably just tack weld them on or something, i don't see any screws.

Quote:

Rob
Rob, by all means if you already own a devo controller go for the new d02s! The 6 axis gyro can be turned off and most people do not use them because, as you've heard they kind of suck right now. But I've never used one myself, just what I've read. Hopefully Walkera worked all the kinks out of their 6 axis system with leveling and all that the genius was rumored to have problems with. Though i never hold my breath with Walkera, they have been improving their products.

The D02s is very durable! If your good at flying and know when to throttle cut you'll do very well. Most people install a slipper clutch in the tail drive for better durability on the gears, including the main gear. I support the previous comment about using a paperclip to mount the main gear as a seer pin also.

Over all, many people have their complaints about the v120d02S but it's really a good heli for it's size. The stock motor is sufficient with the stock ESC actually. You can install the "Extreme" brand landing skids and increase the durability of the skids, plus the extreme skids will fit a 900 mAh pack for longer flights. I'm considering using a Turbo Ace 215 motor in my D02S because it has performed well for me in my V120d05 custom model with the D02s RX and rotor head. But i don't think it's needed over the stock really. Just a little boost in head speed at the cost of increased battery drain. 900 mAh packs are needed for this.

Truth be told you can upgrade all the parts on your D02 to the D02s parts also. It's quite easy and many people here on this thread will be willing to help you with additional info, if you choose to go that route.

The only deciding factor i would have to determine if i were in your shoes is do you already own a 2801-pro transmitter? Do you already own a Devo transmitter? If the answer is no to both then i think the consensus would be to go with the model that comes with the Devo 10 TX. If you already own a 2801-pro you'll have to decide if you want to buy the old 2801 pro compatible D02s or spend the extra money anyway for a new TX with your new model d02s.

Hope this info helps you choose.

Here is my latest d02S video. Sure wish the wind would go away, but i suppose all experience, is just that!
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jun 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:53 AM
Joined Mar 2010
497 Posts
Does the D02S 6 axis version fly any better than the D02S???
helicraze is offline Find More Posts by helicraze
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:37 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,119 Posts
I broke the throttle hold switch clean off on my 2801-pro. Here is some info and pictures of how i fixed it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post21936357
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,239 Posts
Quote:

Rob
It seems the new V120D02S is designed for beginner's 3D. The heli has a tendency to stabilize itself when inverted so it seems ideal for you. Because it is much more durable than the V120D02, the chances are that you will be pushing it much more and will have more crashes as a result.

I have had hundreds of crashes with the old V120D02S and the most problematic items are the tail gears and servos. The skids and canopies are quite easily damaged too. Then there is the tail boom, torque tune and the rudder push rod.

Damage to the head and swashplate is rare. The feathering shaft is rarely bent and I have yet to bend a main shaft. The main gear does strip but is usually flyable unless the stripping is severe. The motor and ESC may malfunction at some stage.

So it is very difficult to predict what you may need for a 3 months period. I would also recommend you look at the Mini CP as that is much more durable although more difficult to fly 3D.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Quote:

Rob
Snag a few rudder linkages since the blades tend to knock it off in an upright crash. Some of us tie down the rudder link so it only gets dented rather than lost. Get a slipper clutch from LB to save yourself a bunch of tail gears. The D05 landing gear seems to be the consensus favorite in terms of durability and it'll take the 900mah packs too. I havent tried the shear pin yet but it sounds like it's working well for folks. A spare cyclic and tail servo wouldn't hurt either, the tail servos have been hit or miss for me. Also, putting some tape around the edge of the canopy can prevent it from splitting.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:27 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraze View Post
Does the D02S 6 axis version fly any better than the D02S???
It seems to be designed for beginner 3D. The heli has a tendency to stabilize either upright of inverted. It is markedly more stable than the old V120D02S, with the tail being rock steady. But I am not sure what is in there for those who could fly mild 3D competently. It seems that Walkera is definitely concentrating on the beginners' marker whereas Blade for advanced fliers.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw