SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:31 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
I had a weird day at the field today. I started with my V120D01 I converted to CP. After a re-build from a failed flip I had many test runs at the house that worked just fine. As soon as I lifted off at the field today a swash ball came out and made the heli crash right away. No other damage and it went back in the truck.
Next came out the M120. It took off great even with some decent wind today. After a couple of circles it started to sound really weird and and then fly really crazy. It was amazing that I was able to quickly land it on the skids without a crash. When I walked over and looked at it one of the main rotor blades had come apart at the screw. There's a black plastic spine that runs inside the foamies. The foam blade had slid down the spine making that blade a couple inches longer than the other. Not sure what caused this since I never hit anything with it. It was truley amazing I was able to land without a crash. Back in the truck.

Last came out my V120D2s. Just as expected I flew a couple packs with not issues and very smooth flights. This heli is always predictable, reliable and a great flyer.

I wish I would have brought out my V120D05 but ran out of time.

I came back to the field later with the M120 for a little redemption flight. I was doing great through a couple packs until I lost it in the sun. Just above the horizon the sun was setting. I knew better and should have turned around but I got the heli between me and the sun and lost orientation. The black heli silhouette with the bright orange sun behind it is really hard to see. I cut the throttle and let it go down easy. Just a couple broken blades and chewed main gear. Oh well.....I should have paid more attention to where I was.

I took out the V120D01 CP and tried a flip. I got it all the way around, pulled back on the elvator to change pitch but couldn't keep the hover. It went down for a crash. I'm getting closer each time to flying inverted, just have to keep trying.

Spent about an hour this evening getting both put back together again for tomorrow.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:33 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
A little trick from the automotive world, if you're having resonance issues with the pad try a mass damper. If your pad is made of foam, try shoving a coathanger straightened out through it passing through the center of the pad in the horizontal direction (i.e. the wire is parallel to the ground) with a few inches hanging out. Then tape a weight to the end of the wire that's hanging out. By changing the weight you can change the resonance frequency of the entire pad.

Or if you want to get fancy, take a peice of plywood the size of your pad and glue little foam legs of different densities to the bottom of the pad and then to the plywood. With a little experimentation you should be able to tune the pad to a frequency that's not used by any of your sizes of heli.
Well i kind of just threw it together from scraps i found around my shop. I plan on the deck being replaceable in case of blade strikes or whatever. So this might be the most detail i go into. But i might cut all the lines straight and sand it to shape or paint it in the future. Laytex paint on the foam will definitely help with the resonance I think. Well, Its functional at the least. Honestly I was kind of impressed that I managed to accomplish most of my main goals with this helicopter pad. The deck has a free wheeling rotating base under the helipad so it can spin freely 360+ degrees. The helipad also has an adjustable hight of somewhere around 3 inches by means of screw coupling on the main column, just in case more height may be needed for future expansion under the deck or for setup to avoid environmental surroundings. I would have liked to add a leveling suspension but that would require a 4 point suspension instead of the current, more simplistic and easier to accomplish center column twist lift. Since it was quickly slapped together I didn't think much about it. Things still worked out okay so far. I just can't use it on sloped grounds. The one thing i didn't think about is the cylinder column is actually hollow and that is where a lot of the amplified sound from the helicopter was coming from. It acted like a drum with the foam over the top of the plastic hollow cylinder. Since it is detachable i went ahead and stuffed some rags in there for now. I might fill it with some spray foam or "GAP" filler/insulation. Since my 4f200 is wrecked and it is my night flight helicopter i have to wait till tomorrow to try one of the 120s on the deck. The 450 will hopefully arrive tomorrow to ease some of the pain from the tragic grounding of the 4f200 due to it's malfunction. Of course when i get my better chargers i will probably have to change the base or move things around a bit. Thats why we prototype first before we paint.

Here are some pictures of the rough prototype with v120 sized blade strikes visible also:
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
I had a weird day at the field today. I started with my V120D01 I converted to CP. After a re-build from a failed flip I had many test runs at the house that worked just fine. As soon as I lifted off at the field today a swash ball came out and made the heli crash right away. No other damage and it went back in the truck.
Next came out the M120. It took off great even with some decent wind today. After a couple of circles it started to sound really weird and and then fly really crazy. It was amazing that I was able to quickly land it on the skids without a crash. When I walked over and looked at it one of the main rotor blades had come apart at the screw. There's a black plastic spine that runs inside the foamies. The foam blade had slid down the spine making that blade a couple inches longer than the other. Not sure what caused this since I never hit anything with it. It was truley amazing I was able to land without a crash. Back in the truck.

Last came out my V120D2s. Just as expected I flew a couple packs with not issues and very smooth flights. This heli is always predictable, reliable and a great flyer.

I came back to the field later with the M120 for a little redemption flight. I was doing great through a couple packs until I lost it in the sun. Just above the horizon the sun was setting. I knew better and should have turned around but I got the heli between me and the sun and lost orientation. The black heli silhouette with the bright orange sun behind it is really hard to see. I cut the throttle and let it go down easy. Just a couple broken blades and chewed main gear. Oh well.....I should have paid more attention to where I was.

I took out the V120D01 CP and tried a flip. I got it all the way around, pulled back on the elvator to change pitch but couldn't keep the hover. It went down for a crash. I'm getting closer each time to flying inverted, just have to keep trying.

Spent about an hour this evening getting both put back together again for tomorrow.
Sounds like your day went better than mine anyway. Bad day to fly i guess. I started learning my inverted hovers by getting pretty damn high then getting some altitude and flying either straight away from myself or side to side. At some point i do a back loop by nosing up and just not completing the loop and just staying inverted. Since your high up you try and hold it as long as you can, then flip back. Also if your unsuccessful you should have recovery time before you hit the ground. Of course the problem is having good enough vision to keep orientation that high in the air. Look at the bright side. At least you didn't crash, slam on into a tree with a 3 bladed rotor head on a 200 size heli, breaking the main shaft and shooting the rotor head off like a throwing star. Good times
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:56 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
OhioShooter started a new thread with his D05 issues. I gave him what advice I could and then suggested he get on the regular D05 thread for more help. Anway, he's giving it a go so hats off to him for trying. I think this his first CP so we may need to help him out as much as possible to get him up and flying.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:17 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,258 Posts
I thought i was going to cry when my 4f200's rotor head shot off. I can only imagine what has occurred to him and how he feels.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
This is your very first helicopter? You never even flew a coaxial? Okay, trust me. You should not be flying indoors till you are 100% comfortable with hovering around nose in and side in orientations. That is with your nose pointed at you or with either side of the helicopter pointed at you. You should at least be able to hold a steady hover in those orientations without feeling tense or anxious. Fly in a obstacle free area till you can or this helicopter will cost you a fortune in tiny little plastic bits. Its actually very durable when you learn how to crash . But if you don't have a slipper clutch you will go though gears like crazy landing on carpet or trying to land on the coffee table to be cool and your tail slips off the edge. It's just not worth it. Just practice outside above concrete or a flat surface. Practice just doing figure 8s and moving around slowly in a controlled manner. the reason i say to do this above concrete is because you can learn to use the down draft from the rotors as a "pillow of air" to float on. If you set your throttle well your helicopter will float on it and all you have to do is keep it balanced so it does not tip over. This, for some people helps because it frees up your mind from having to adjust the throttle all the time to stay floating. But keep your hand ready to use the throttle in case you start to tip. You will still have to make small throttle corrections from time to time still, so don't get lazy.
That is some excellent advice, I also got a mini cp, and have been flying the crap out of it, doing about 4 batteries every day so I am learning and I have helisim on the big screen with my devo 7 practicing at night, so the learning curve is being fed by more that just my 120, and I can see the skills are getting better, still have to have the tail pointed at me almost all the time but I don't crash the mini anymore well at least not often, but I just can't seem to keep this one together.
Sailorb is offline Find More Posts by Sailorb
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
I have a somewhat demystified Devo 7 manual with notes if it helps you. http://www.larsdennert.com/rc
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:47 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorb View Post
That is some excellent advice, I also got a mini cp, and have been flying the crap out of it, doing about 4 batteries every day so I am learning and I have helisim on the big screen with my devo 7 practicing at night, so the learning curve is being fed by more that just my 120, and I can see the skills are getting better, still have to have the tail pointed at me almost all the time but I don't crash the mini anymore well at least not often, but I just can't seem to keep this one together.
One thing that helped me learn my orientation is trying to do circle circuits. Doing them does not often take very many, or very big stick movements. So once you learn how to do them in circles, first around yourself while you turn, if thats easier. Then circles in front of you. As you get better at the circles you will be able to control them tighter and tighter into tiny little tight circles. Which will get you accustomed to doing pirouettes when your at that point also. At first making your circles one way or the other will probably seem easier because of the additional side thrust from the tail rotor. Go with that and by the time you can do these circuits and piros you will be surprised how much more comfortable you will feel side in or nose in. Of course you can always get some altitude and practice just hovering in these orientations for as long as possible without turning back to tail in. Good luck!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post

I used to have a M120D01 and V120D02 but I have stopped flying these altogether since I have got the V120D02S, My LHS told me that many others have done the same as well. If you are determined to learn basic 3D, I think it is important to stick with one reliable model. Learning flips and inverted flight on the V120D02S will be far easier than the M120D02S and the V120D02. It will be a good idea to get another V120D02S.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:33 AM
United States, IN, Merrillville
Joined Feb 2011
173 Posts
Ok guys I'm gonna sell the 120 I went to a 450 and just love it so here's what I have it's a BNF no tx, the heli has the tail flipped, servo saver mod, bobs slipper clutch on the tail which is amazing, other than the few things listed it is all stock now time for the extras
4 sets tail gears new
3 main gears new
2 tail drive shafts new
5 tail rod linkage new
3 main blades new
1 set of spare screws new
1 new tail servo
1 cyclic servo has stripped tooth
2 main shafts new
1 feathering shaft new
1 stabilizer set new
1 tail steering set new
1 blade grips new
1 tail blade grips new
2 sets tail blades new
4 sets landing skids new
2 new canopys
10 booms cut to length from stock
3 950mah nano tech lipo
3 walkera 600mah lipo
All LIPOS and charge adapter has deans micro connectors all the nano techs are pretty new maybe 10 flights each

Ok guys you know what I have here don't low ball me make me an offer for everythingName: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335328197.988310.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 183.7 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335328214.702779.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 199.1 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335328246.006108.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 201.8 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335328264.883889.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 190.9 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335328304.739120.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 173.4 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335328358.940992.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 139.4 KB
Description:

Also you may notice the pic of the heli it does not have a main gear on it in the process of refreshing everything so there will b no problems make me a reasonable offer
Slimshamis is offline Find More Posts by Slimshamis
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:55 AM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Phew, I finally pulled the trigger getting a V120d02s after struggling for some time between GCP, MCPX and V120D02S... Hope I like this heli.
I used to have 4G6S, flew like crap, hope this little guy can get my interest back into the heli flying hobby... (and hope my choice isn't bad, since a lot of people recommends GCP)
Wadda u guys think of my decision :P
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thloh85 View Post
Phew, I finally pulled the trigger getting a V120d02s after struggling for some time between GCP, MCPX and V120D02S... Hope I like this heli.
I used to have 4G6S, flew like crap, hope this little guy can get my interest back into the heli flying hobby... (and hope my choice isn't bad, since a lot of people recommends GCP)
Wadda u guys think of my decision :P
I am a beginner and have the GCP, MSR X, and V120D02S. The V120D02S Flys the nicest of all of them. The MSR X is what I fly at home in a confined space and it is really a tank. The GCP I fly outside but only if there is absolutely no wind. The V120D02S is great outside (As long as there are no fish ponds nearby ) and I find it actually easier to fly then the GCP. It handles light wind well and I can actualy make it though a battery without crashing
MadMatt986 is offline Find More Posts by MadMatt986
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Jun 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimshamis View Post
Ok guys I'm gonna sell the 120 I went to a 450 and just love it so here's what I have it's a BNF no tx, the heli has the tail flipped, servo saver mod, bobs slipper clutch on the tail which is amazing, other than the few things listed it is all stock now time for the extras
4 sets tail gears new
3 main gears new
2 tail drive shafts new
5 tail rod linkage new
3 main blades new
1 set of spare screws new
1 new tail servo
1 cyclic servo has stripped tooth
2 main shafts new
1 feathering shaft new
1 stabilizer set new
1 tail steering set new
1 blade grips new
1 tail blade grips new
2 sets tail blades new
4 sets landing skids new
2 new canopys
10 booms cut to length from stock
3 950mah nano tech lipo
3 walkera 600mah lipo
All LIPOS and charge adapter has deans micro connectors all the nano techs are pretty new maybe 10 flights each

Ok guys you know what I have here don't low ball me make me an offer for everythingAttachment 4809910Attachment 4809911Attachment 4809914Attachment 4809915Attachment 4809920Attachment 4809923

Also you may notice the pic of the heli it does not have a main gear on it in the process of refreshing everything so there will b no problems make me a reasonable offer
Is your heli a Devo radio version?
iloveheli is offline Find More Posts by iloveheli
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, IN, Merrillville
Joined Feb 2011
173 Posts
Yes it's a Devo version I'm keeping the rx cause that is what I'm using on the 450
Slimshamis is offline Find More Posts by Slimshamis
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
One thing that helped me learn my orientation is trying to do circle circuits. Doing them does not often take very many, or very big stick movements. So once you learn how to do them in circles, first around yourself while you turn, if thats easier. Then circles in front of you. As you get better at the circles you will be able to control them tighter and tighter into tiny little tight circles. Which will get you accustomed to doing pirouettes when your at that point also. At first making your circles one way or the other will probably seem easier because of the additional side thrust from the tail rotor. Go with that and by the time you can do these circuits and piros you will be surprised how much more comfortable you will feel side in or nose in. Of course you can always get some altitude and practice just hovering in these orientations for as long as possible without turning back to tail in. Good luck!
Very well said.
GTstrudl is offline Find More Posts by GTstrudl