SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibs View Post
You mention great shrink on the boom. Where do you put it? Surely it would make the boom too large to fit unit the frame and tail. Do you have any pictures? I am interested in this as I split so many booms. Some arrive split. Very poor quality.
I can't take pictures right now because i don't have heat shrink on this boom. But It takes 2 pieces of heat shrink. the object of the heat shrink is to just use symmetrical force to squeeze the boom all the way around. When you heat it up it will squeeze the boom. This is mostly useful when you already have a badly cracked boom. You place a piece on the boom after the servo and then after the stabilizer. It will help strengthen and add elasticity to the boom to maybe prevent cracks from light impacts. Its not meant to go under the screws or anything like that. The screws that hold everything to the boom are the main culprit for hairline cracks. As you mentioned, i too have received brand new ones with cracks in them already. If the boom does crack while the heat shrink is on there, the heat shrink will hold the cracks together tightly for awhile, at least till you get a new boom
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joydeepb View Post
A shear pin in the main gear solves this problem.
Are you sure??? And if it did,, then you have to go replace the shear pin.. No thanks I'll just let the tail clutch slip and then fly away..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:58 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I can't take pictures right now because i don't have heat shrink on this boom. But It takes 2 pieces of heat shrink. the object of the heat shrink is to just use symmetrical force to squeeze the boom all the way around. When you heat it up it will squeeze the boom. This is mostly useful when you already have a badly cracked boom. You place a piece on the boom after the servo and then after the stabilizer. It will help strengthen and add elasticity to the boom to maybe prevent cracks from light impacts. Its not meant to go under the screws or anything like that. The screws that hold everything to the boom are the main culprit for hairline cracks. As you mentioned, i too have received brand new ones with cracks in them already. If the boom does crack while the heat shrink is on there, the heat shrink will hold the cracks together tightly for awhile, at least till you get a new boom
I found a couple of wraps of Scotch tape works wonders for keeping booms from breaking,, I can't remember the last time I have broken one..
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Are you sure??? And if it did,, then you have to go replace the shear pin.. No thanks I'll just let the tail clutch slip and then fly away..
I think he means the pinion to main gear. Not main to A gear.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
I think he means the pinion to main gear. Not main to A gear.
Well now that makes a lot more sense.. But I'm just so happy with the much better gear on the D02S compared to the older ones, that even if I did finally strip one It will be OK.. Hate to tell you how many stripped 4#3, CB100, 4G3, 4G6, V120D02 gears I have laying around just in case I need the plastic for some reason..
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:17 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I found a couple of wraps of Scotch tape works wonders for keeping booms from breaking,, I can't remember the last time I have broken one..
When I notice that my boom has split which is easy to tell because the tail can twist way too easily which I'm sure has an adverse effect on flight stability, I wrap it with 30lb braided fishing line (very strong stuff) and then soak the thread with ca being careful not to let it wick up under the strut support, or under either end of the tail. This makes makes for a stiffer tail than when the boom was new and makes it much more crash resistant as well.

candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
When I notice that my boom has split which is easy to tell because the tail can twist way too easily which I'm sure has an adverse effect on flight stability, I wrap it with 30lb braided fishing line (very strong stuff) and then soak the thread with ca being careful not to let it wick up under the strut support, or under either end of the tail. This makes makes for a stiffer tail than when the boom was new and makes it much more crash resistant as well.
I just use heatstrink on the boom
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:41 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
Great if you feel like tearing apart a new heli to install it.. I never do so I just use the tape..
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:44 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
[QUOTE=OrbitalGolem;21349787]Believe me - I'm more of a pansy when it comes to trying 3D moves with my D02S. So much so that I won't try them at all.

I'm at the point of pushing forward learning 3D from scratch and considering the fragility of our "indestructible" D02S, the Nine Eagles Solo Pro 100 (using Blade replacement parts from my LHS) from HobbyKing for $80 is looking mighty tempting indeed. At least $30 cheaper than any Genius Pro BNF I can find, with the benefit that the landing skids are replaceable.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that Nine eagles is made by walkera as a subsidiary. Just to similar. The RXs are even yellow and red like walkera. Anyway. I've gotten sick of the performance of my v120d02S and no longer try 3d with it. It just does not fly like when it was new. .
It is actually much easier to learn basic 3D with the V120D02S than with the stock brushed MCPx, Genius CP, Mini CP or Solo Pro 100D .The problem is that once you have had around 30 crashes with the V120D02S, problems start to mount. By the time you get to 100 crashes, you might as well get a new one. I was spending up to $100 in parts at that stage, bearing in mind that I pay much less than most of you do as I am in Hong Kong.

This is what happened to my in February when I had just leant how to do a sustained inverted hover. Not only were servos being stripped left, right an center. The receivers were failing as well. I had lots of problems with the tail and also with the power system that led to lots of crashes. I decided to go back to the stock MCPx for a while and it paid off in terms of reducing the number of pilot error crashes. At the same time, I gathered all the best remaining components and used then in one V120D02S. That way, I reduced the crashes due to electrical and mechanical failture as well.

I don't regret using the V120D02S to learn 3D. I just couldn't do it with the MCPx and Genius then. But it is worthwhile to switch back once you have got first flips and inverted hover confidently under your belt.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
That fishing line trick looks awsome! I'll have to do it on my V120D01 that has a cracked boom right now. I just used some glue on it but the fishing line is a great idea.
thanks
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:50 PM
Ibs
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
Theses are interesting ideas and I will try then. I am not sure if they will help me because my biggest problem is breaking the boom where it leaves the frame (xtreme frame in my case). Any heat shrink, tape or braid cannot reinforce this area.
Probably easier to stop crashing but I am having trouble with this. The better I get the more difficult thing I try so the number of crashes stays constant. My wife assumes I am just no good at flying based on my constant crashes and the continuous cost of spare parts
Ibs is offline Find More Posts by Ibs
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
I see you have reversed your tail. Does this mean you are blowing over the tall assembly? Alternatively, you could run the main and tail rotors in reverse. Do you know if this is possible?
You need to just turn the blade holders around after it is inverted and make sure the leading edge of the blades are facing foward when rotating. Beyond that there is nothing to do. I cant really tell any differance at all in the way the heli flys just i dont have to keep replacing the rudder servo control arm. Not sure about turning everything backwards i know it is not needed.

I find this heli to be the most fun to fly yet. I take it in the full scale plane with me all the time to fly when i have stops. I have three of them and they all fly great however i harding get my two back up ones out. Generally the worst thing i do is break the landing gear
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
To be honest i never thought of reversing the tail and putting the rotor on the other side. But I'm basically done with these 120 size helicopters. Probably going to shelf them most of the time. I'm sick of stripping tiny screws or breaking tiny parts my hands cant really even hold on to. My custom v120d05 with the D02S head and RX will be my main indoor heli after i get a new motor for it. It is way more durable than the v120d02S but the tail hold is a problem, new motor should compensate for that. I've abused my v120d02S and it flys for crap. I seem to remember a time when it was brand new that i could do a full stick forward punch out and the tail would hardly move. Now it only holds till about 75% stick any harder and it kicks just as bad as my v120d05. Since this occurs no matter the actual throttle curve, normal or 100% flat. I will be removing the slipper clutch to see if it is the reason. I think there is just too much torque for very hard punches. I suppose its not a big deal, but when you couple it with the funny spinning it does when trying to invert i have to try it. I can fly this helicopter with the gyros turned off just fine, in fact its easier for me to invert in adjust mode. It don't spin out on me. I think the Rx might be screwy, but i have to remove the clutch first to see. i have to wait and order a new shaft though because i freaking stripped the screw hole in the locking collar that goes on the end of the tail shaft. I suppose i could use the one that came with my clutch but i don't want to strip out the set screw too.

As for the tail boom replacements you guys are talking about, they do not have the round filling for the shaft do they? they are just hollow and square? That means they are probably just as or more brittle too. I know they are cheap, but the point is not having to frequently replace them. Thats why i'm sticking with the tube tail on the D05 with a belt drive. After crashing that thing a few times all i've had to replace so far is servo gears. Walkera really needs to get the D05 up to snuff. Its worthless before the customization, but now it's truly a dark horse. But reguardless, my 4f200 is my main driveway bird now and i have a v450 arriving for the park. On rainny days or when my others are down I'll take out these fragile little things. It wouldn't be so bad if replacing the parts didn't cost almost as much as the parts for bigger helicopters.
The boom replacement stock is the exact same as is used in the 4.00 dollar replacement boom you just have to cut them to length as thay come in a 1000 meter stick. It is the same on most of walkeras 120 size helis.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
Theses are interesting ideas and I will try then. I am not sure if they will help me because my biggest problem is breaking the boom where it leaves the frame (xtreme frame in my case). Any heat shrink, tape or braid cannot reinforce this area.
Probably easier to stop crashing but I am having trouble with this. The better I get the more difficult thing I try so the number of crashes stays constant. My wife assumes I am just no good at flying based on my constant crashes and the continuous cost of spare parts
better order some of these

http://r2hobbies.com/carbon-fiber-sq...-x-1000mm.html
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
[QUOTE=iflyrvs1;21362453]better order some of these

http://r2hobbies.com/carbon-fiber-sq...-x-1000mm.html
try this link