SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:04 AM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Thanks, do you get your parts in week or two weeks? I know hobbyking can take more than two weeks.
I use HeliPal when I can't get parts here in the US. It usually takes 6-8 days to get here to the West Coast. I have used eHirobo and Hobbyking, and have been surprised by their quickness in arrivals!

AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Bob, but if servo is damaged further with bad gears, what are steps to replacing it? Or is it plug in replacement without need for any adjusting?

Do I have to disabled the 3-axis and do I have to mess with servo horns for 90 degree?
Yes better to disable the gyros when setting it up... REMEMBER TO TURN IT BACK ON BEFORE FLYING>>

Take off the servo. unplug it,, do NOT pull on the wires at all,, I use my #11 as a little pry bar and carefully work the plug off the RX.. That little metal strap that holds the wires away from the motor will be hard to replace BUT MAKE SURE YOU DO..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:34 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3liN00B View Post
I have some (maybe dumb) questions about Gyro sensitivity, Gyro modes (NORM, AVCS) and about the Devo 7 transmitter setup.

I use my V120D02S together with the Devo 7 transmitter, programmed with the standard setup as described within the V120D02S' User Handbook. The setup procedure describes, that 3 different Gyro sensitivity settings of 50%, 70% and 75% are assigned to the MIX-switch (pos. 0,1,2).

But I have noticed, that I can not lift up the heli any more if I set the Mix switch to position 2 because the tail starts immediately drifting away and the whole heli starts spinning around when leaving the ground contact.

And the most weird thing is, if I go into the Monitor-function of the Devo 7 and inspect the Gyro output for the three settings of the Mix-switch, I see 50%, 40% and 0%!!! What the heck is going on here? At least the 0% Gyro-sense would explain why there is no more stabilizing while the Mix switch is set to position 2.

And one more thing I don't understand clearly is some statement within the handbook of the Devo 7 transmitter, that describes, that the Gyro switches it's function from normal mode to AVCS mode if the programmed parameter goes above 50%. What does this mean?

Is there any relationship between my above described observation and my programmed Gyro mode settings? Why do I see different values within the Monitor function? Does position 3 of the Mix switch really shut off the complete Gyro stabilization or what is going on here?

Thanks a lot for your help! I'm quite new to all this heli-stuff and I'm still trying to understand all those technical matters.

Regards, Notker

PS: I wish you all a Merry Christmas!
OK lets make sure you have some understanding about what they are talking about.. This is the RUDDER gyro only nothing to do at all with the cyclic gyros..

I don't have a Devil 7. So I can't see what all this mixing is about or what you have being controlled by what switch. so see if this applies for you ,, any TX gyro setting from 0% to 50% is rate mode aka Normal.. above 51% to 100% is Heading Hold aka AVCS..

0% the gyro is trying very hard to hold speed of drifting (rate of change), 50% it don't care a darn what the heli is doing. Rate is nice for general flying around as the tail will follow the nose more by it's self. At 51% it still don't care if it's holding the heli pointing North or not,, at 100% it's trying as hard as it can to keep the heli pointing North to the point of over correcting and waging the tail.. So you pick the % that keeps it pointing North but with no waging.. HH is best for 3D as it keeps the tail pointing at one place like North..

So some of your setting are not doing any thing worth while as you have found out. But now that you know what they are doing you should be able to pick some ball park numbers and start dialing it in....This help you at all???
Last edited by livonia bob; Dec 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
Bob, first of all, thank you very much for your kind help. Your explanation don't answer all of my questions but some things are much more clear now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
0% the gyro is trying very hard to hold speed of drifting (rate of change), 50% it don't care a darn what the heli is doing. Rate is nice for general flying around as the tail will follow the nose more by it's self. At 51% it still don't care if it's holding the heli pointing North or not,, at 100% it's trying as hard as it can to keep the heli pointing North to the point of over correcting and waging the tail.. So you pick the % that keeps it pointing North but with no waging.. HH is best for 3D as it keeps the tail pointing at one place like North..
Ok, let's see whether I understand all those things right.

Normal mode is some kind of yaw damping where the damping factor is proportional to the setting. AVCS is heading hold mode. Too less setup value makes the tail hold weak, it may blow out if the force gets too high and too high setup value might result in "overstabilizing" and this causes some kind of oscillation. As you said, the helicopter wags with it's tail if the HH-factor is too high.

Setup value <=50% -> Tail Gyro operates in normal mode (= yaw damping mode)
Setup value >50% -> Tail Gyro operates in AVCS-mode (= heading hold mode)

Setup value = 0% -> maximal effect of normal mode
Setup value = 50% -> minimal effect of normal mode
Setup value = 51% -> minimal effect of AVCS mode
Setup value = 100% -> maximal effect of AVCS mode

Is this correct?

Notker
H3liN00B is offline Find More Posts by H3liN00B
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:04 PM
DT (Dart Tin) 550E, mCPX BL
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
500 Posts
Reponse to Torch8

Quote:
Thanks, do you get your parts in week or two weeks? I know hobbyking can take more than two weeks.
For me, I get my parts usually in 4-5 business days here in the southeastern US. I'd rathter buy from helipal than hobby king because you're only dealing with one warehouse and not 3 (very confusing to me at least; seems hard to get all the parts you need from one warehouse, so it's very frustrating). I must admit though that I hardly buy from international sources since I try my best to find parts from companies here in the US not only for fast shipping, but also to help support our economy as much as we can in this mostly foreign manufactured hobby.
helinewbie617 is offline Find More Posts by helinewbie617
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:16 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Bob, first of all, thank you very much for your kind help. Your explanation don't answer all of my questions but some things are much more clear now.

Ok, let's see whether I understand all those things right.

Normal mode is some kind of yaw damping where the damping factor is proportional to the setting. AVCS is heading hold mode. Too less setup value makes the tail hold weak, it may blow out if the force gets too high and too high setup value might result in "overstabilizing" and this causes some kind of oscillation. As you said, the helicopter wags with it's tail if the HH-factor is too high. Or if the RATE is also

Setup value <=50% -> Tail Gyro operates in normal mode (= yaw damping mode)
Setup value >50% -> Tail Gyro operates in AVCS-mode (= heading hold mode)

Setup value = 0% -> maximal effect of normal mode
Setup value = 50% -> minimal effect of normal mode
Setup value = 51% -> minimal effect of AVCS mode
Setup value = 100% -> maximal effect of AVCS mode

Is this correct? Yes this is correct,,,, as long as your rudder TA is 100% L & R... There might be a change in the center/zero/change over point if you are using unequal L & R TA points.

Notker
See above
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
@livonia bob

Bob, I have to thank you again for the time you spent to explain complex things in an easy understandable way.

The only remaining thing I have to find out is this phenomenon with my Devo 7 (or Devil 7). Things are complex and the poor written manual from Walkera doesn't really help to clarify them.

I wish you a nice christmas and lots of nice presents :-)

Notker
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
@livonia bob

Bob, I have to thank you again for the time you spent to explain complex things in an easy understandable way.

The only remaining thing I have to find out is this phenomenon with my Devo 7 (or Devil 7). Things are complex and the poor written manual from Walkera doesn't really help to clarify them.

Notker
Sorry but you are on your own with the Devil 7,,, you might go ask Bobpine on RC Groups about it as he has one and is writing a beginner guide for the Genius W/Devil 7 so he must know all about setting it up..
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,871 Posts
Quote:
@livonia bob

Notker
Hi Notker,

On Devo-7:

ENT to get into the main menu options --> Select FUNCTION (ENT)
Press DN to get to GYRO --> ENT to select
Select using R or L to set to MANU.
Press DN to select the switch to control it (I'm using MIX).
DN again to display the value for POS 0, R or L to increase decrease the value.
DN to go to setting POS 1, R & L again to set the value.
DN to go to setting POS 2, R & L again to set the value.
ENT, EXT, EXT, EXT to complete and exit.

Then use the MIX switch to go between your 3 settings POS 0, 1 and 2.

I have 75%, 70% and 20% but I only ever fly POS 0.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:37 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
Thanks for your help, Bob. I moved the tail servo horn out of the bad area on the pot and adjusted subtrim and travel. It still buzzes when it passes through this area, but at least no jitter at center point. Time to fly! HH mode works great; I'm close but I still have some work to do to set up rate mode. Thanks again and
Merry Christmas!
hz6b9k is online now Find More Posts by hz6b9k
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Hi Notker,

On Devo-7:

ENT to get into the main menu options --> Select FUNCTION (ENT)
Press DN to get to GYRO --> ENT to select
Select using R or L to set to MANU.
Press DN to select the switch to control it (I'm using MIX).
DN again to display the value for POS 0, R or L to increase decrease the value.
DN to go to setting POS 1, R & L again to set the value.
DN to go to setting POS 2, R & L again to set the value.
ENT, EXT, EXT, EXT to complete and exit.

Then use the MIX switch to go between your 3 settings POS 0, 1 and 2.

I have 75%, 70% and 20% but I only ever fly POS 0.
@thwaitm
Thank you for your advice. I made this setup already. The procedure is described in the V120D02S' user handbook. Walkera suggest values of 75%, 70% and 50% for the 3 settings of the Mix-switch. Maybe changing the last value from 50% to 20% makes some difference. I'll try it out and let you know.

Notker
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:51 PM
United States, NJ, Lumberton
Joined May 2010
89 Posts
Hey, guys, I could use some advise. I got some 3S 850 mAh Hyperion packs to turn into 1S Walkera packs, but not really sure how to get the pack apart safely & without damage. Perhaps some of you pros could post some tips? Thread is here.

Thanks
Ed
The Doktor is offline Find More Posts by The Doktor
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:16 AM
TabukToné
Felthorpe, Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Joined Feb 2003
199 Posts
Hi Hellraser, Bob et al,
I have a V120Do2S heli only on route from OOModels for the New year.
I'm using the faithful wk2801Pro.
Please can you supply setup link for these two (Tx - Rx).
Merry Crimbo to you all.
Toné
TabukToné is offline Find More Posts by TabukToné
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:04 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Jan 2007
816 Posts
Quote:
I'm in US, where can I order Walkera parts overseas that has fast shipping to USA? Clubheli and WOW has some parts I needed but not all.

I need parts for my v120d02s,m12d01 and v450d01.
I would also look at AC-RC for at least the V120D02S. I placed a $100.00 order from them which included skids, a canopy and LiPo and I got those in CT in one week for only $11.00 dollars shipping. Also btw, AC-RC virtually always will only show what they actually have in stock on their site, so no clicking on something that isn't actually there.

I'll also tell you one company to stay away from is RC711. I paid those losers two weeks ago for a V120D02S because of all their claims on their site of getting stuff though customs quick and my helo has been sitting in the NYC customs depot for over a week now.

And I made that $100.00 parts order from AC-RC three days after the helo order from RC711 and that came yesterday.
WBFAir is offline Find More Posts by WBFAir
Last edited by WBFAir; Dec 24, 2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:18 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
I buy Walkera stuff from the street shop of ac-rc.com. So I know they are almost always in stock of parts for the Genius CP and V120D02S, as well as other Walkera 100-120 sized helis. I go down to their shop about once a week and their prices are usually the cheapest around. If the parts are not listed on their site, just ask them.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw