Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:15 PM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycash View Post
hi Ian (Ibs),

May I ask what's your reasoning for the inverted tail servo?? Is this to balance the lateral (left-right) COG? Do you see less tilting on take-off?

Thanks,
jonnycash
I noticed that too & was wondering why also.

AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyHelifly11 View Post

AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycash View Post
hi Ian (Ibs),

May I ask what's your reasoning for the inverted tail servo?? Is this to balance the lateral (left-right) COG? Do you see less tilting on take-off?

Thanks,
jonnycash
IBS reported earlier that the rudder push rod is very easily dislodged in a crash by the main blades. This is my experience as well and that was why he wanted to have it in an inverted position.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:27 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Well I just ordered another 120...maybe i should order that 915 motor for it as well.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:36 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2007
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I wonder how good are the skids? What material are they made off? I am now getting as many problems with the skids as the tail gears. They are really not that durable at all.
Honestly the stock Xtreme skids flex and break nearly as easily as the stock ones unless....you add the c/f struts.

It's much stonger with the struts because they prevent the landing gear from flexing too much which causes them to break eventually. With the struts you still get a shock absorber effect but they don't flex out when landing hard anymore.

I came up with this useful mod back in Feb. IMO.
chevell is offline Find More Posts by chevell
Last edited by chevell; Dec 22, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Jul 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibs View Post
Hi,
I just finished some work on my heli and wanted to post some pictures.

TA 915 with 9 tooth pinion
Xtreme frame
Xtreme canopy
Xtreme blades
Xtreme skids
Xtreme tail slider
D05 tail blades
Inverted tail servo
Cyclic servos on middle holes

Not flight tested the 9 tooth pinion yet but it hovers fine and the head speed sounds lower than with the stock 10 tooth pinion. Hope to fly it outside over the weekend and hope the gyros will not be so stressed at the lower had speed.

I am very happy with this heli. With the 915 motor it has so much power and hovers so steady.

Cheers, Ian
That looks so awesome! I hope you post some video of it flying soon
OmegaRedIsDMan is offline Find More Posts by OmegaRedIsDMan
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:56 PM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
IBS reported earlier that the rudder push rod is very easily dislodged in a crash by the main blades. This is my experience as well and that was why he wanted to have it in an inverted position.
Oh yeah...I've had that problem too. Thanks for the tip! Anything special needed to do the mod?

AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:07 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2007
762 Posts
More Xtreme parts for the S version coming soon.

Miracle Mart already shows an aluminum swash plate for the Genius which will fit the V120S version.
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8303

If you look at the picture below it also shows the new Xtreme aluminum head, blade grips and other parts for the 2.5mm mainshaft which have not come out quite yet.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:50 PM
Joined Jul 2010
29 Posts
if any of you guys are interested i just posted a v120d02s for sale with a devo 8 transmitter. pm me if your interested.
motorbro1470 is offline Find More Posts by motorbro1470
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:55 PM
Ibs
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyHelifly11 View Post

AB
Hi Guys,
To answer your questions:
The heli is a D02S fitted into the xtreme frame.
The 915 is too fast with the 10 stock pinion so I have just received a 9 tooth and I have an 8 if I need to bring it back down to stock head speed. Was tending to shake with stock pinion.
I lost two rudder pushrods in the first weekend so I did Tipstar's mod on the servo and rocker. I have posted a link in this thread already so you should be able to find it.
I find the xtreme skids very strong. Been using them for months. You do need to instal a cross brace though as they are very flexible and need the extra support between skids.
I installed the xtreme canopy and blades to improve visibility. I struggle to see a black heli in the tree line.
Cheers, Ibs
Ibs is offline Find More Posts by Ibs
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:32 PM
Micro-Heli-Addict
Preston, Idaho
Joined Jan 2011
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
They sure will make it feel a lot lighter than the Hyperion 850's I'm using now.. Might be great for doing a quick backwards flip or two inside with that rearward CG.. The 20 second flight time is the drawback..

No doubt the short flight time could be a problem.

Might not have time to land after takeoff
jlbrandt01 is offline Find More Posts by jlbrandt01
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:48 PM
Micro-Heli-Addict
Preston, Idaho
Joined Jan 2011
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevell View Post
Honestly the stock Xtreme skids flex and break nearly as easily as the stock ones unless....you add the c/f struts.

It's much stonger with the struts because they prevent the landing gear from flexing too much which causes them to break eventually. With the struts you still get a shock absorber effect but they don't flex out when landing hard anymore.

I came up with this useful mod back in Feb. IMO.

This mod makes a big difference in the strength of the Xtreme LG.
I took it in a little different direction using cut down rear struts. The aluminum end links were drilled to 2mm to fit over the skids with shrink tubing used to hold them in place. Picture Below. Either way works great !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevell View Post
Miracle Mart already shows an aluminum swash plate for the Genius which will fit the V120S version.
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8303

If you look at the picture below it also shows the new Xtreme aluminum head, blade grips and other parts for the 2.5mm mainshaft which have not come out quite yet.

Rob,

I'm waiting on the aluminum head also, so I can use your set screw mod to get rid of the pin holding the head on. I have used this mod since last march on my D02, and it works great.

Regards, Jeff

I'm having a blast with my moded Xtreme V120D02/S
jlbrandt01 is offline Find More Posts by jlbrandt01
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:14 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2007
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrandt01 View Post
This mod makes a big difference in the strength of the Xtreme LG.
I took it in a little different direction using cut down rear struts. The aluminum end links were drilled to 2mm to fit over the skids with shrink tubing used to hold them in place. Picture Below. Either way works great !!!!

Rob,

I'm waiting on the aluminum head also, so I can use your set screw mod to get rid of the pin holding the head on. I have used this mod since last march on my D02, and it works great.

Regards, Jeff

I'm having a blast with my moded Xtreme V120D02/S
Very creative using the boom supports to make the struts. I don't know why Xtreme doesn't have an upgraded part for this yet but it makes the landing gear work much better. I've slammed quite a few landings and nothing has broken so far.

Miracle Mart only shows the swash plate for sale so far but the other parts for the 2.5mm mainshaft are right there in the picture. They apparently havn't made it to the market quite yet....can't wait till they have them for sale.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrandt01 View Post
No doubt the short flight time could be a problem.

Might not have time to land after takeoff
I'm used to making many more takeoffs than landings anyway..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2007
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibs View Post
Hi Guys,
To answer your questions:
The heli is a D02S fitted into the xtreme frame.

I find the xtreme skids very strong. Been using them for months. You do need to instal a cross brace though as they are very flexible and need the extra support between skids.
No doubt about the very flexable part, the struts make a huge difference, this is one mod that is well worth the effort.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:57 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
tail servo jitter

I love my V120d02s, but a little less right not. It still flies great, unfortunately I've noticed after less than a dozen flights that my tail servo is jittering like crazy - only in one spot. I've tried changing gyro gain, nothing. Smooth over the range of motion, except at mid stick... then that hard jitter, enough to buzz and shake the tail. That behavior points to a bad pot inside the servo from my experience. On the ground, I can make the shaking stop by moving the rudder just a little. If it is doing it in flight too, I know I'll be burning out that servo before long... A brand new heli, never crashed and it will be needing a $14 part soon. I don't mind paying to replace parts that I've broke crashing... but this doesn't seem fair. From reading the 4g6 forum threads... this tail servo problem is old news to those guys. It is disappointing that Walkera hasn't fixed it.
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k