Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:10 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Don't love HobbyKing at all myself.

Sorry to be off topic, but HobbyKing is for batteries as far as I am concerned. Used to be for motors too, but they are almost always out of stock now. And nearly anything else I might want is usually out of stock as well.

Gord
I agree with you on the motors. They are always out of stock! By now, you'd think the corporations in China would figure out someway to up the production so that they could maximize revenues.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:23 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
No, if you buy the connectors in bulk you get them at cents a piece. I get my heat shrink for $1 a meter and could be less if i purchased 10 meters or so, like maybe 20 cents a meter.. probably only use 4cm here so thats a few cents too. wire? few cents.

If you purchase the connectors for $1 a piece, yes, it's a few dollars. But again, buy 100 or 1000 from the source and they are really damn cheapo. I could be wrong, but I'm sure digikey sells em for like 0.03 or 0.05 a piece.
1- Reliability. Remember, you're playing with fire. Would your connectors be as good 6 months from now, when you get bored of making them? If somebody pull on a connector and the wire come out and short something, are you willing to deal with it?

2- Overhead. A good pair of crimpers may cost $200 and need to be replaced after a few thousands crimps. Good skinners are expensive too. I would never pay for something that was crimped with pliers.

3- Monthly costs. A website cost a lot of money to put together and run. Paypal may be safe, but you don't want your information hacked by a 6 years old. (it's a job for a 8 years old)

4- Inventory. If you want to make ten adapters, you order 10 everything. But if you run a business, how many do you order to make sure you always have fast turn around? 100, 500, 1000? How many will become obsolete if suddenly another gizmo become popular and some connector are not used anymore.

5- Life. If you have a job and the business doesn't make enough money, you end up working 8 to 4, then, 7 to 11 pm making connectors? Is it worth it.

6 Competition. Then, when you're finally all set up, somebody from china undercut you and you're stuck with your inventory.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:42 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Hehe, RG you're making it sound so complex when it's not. It's connectors not rocket science

Also, with joomla and a shopping cart plugin, you can have a website up in 15 minutes. A bit of graphic work and poof, it's rg-connectors.com. Also websites are $3.95 a month for something with low bandwidth requirements.

Regardless, to make it cheap you'd have to be able to do the website yourself, have all the tools already, which I do. Someone that doesn't have those resources would have some start up costs though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling him out. I think providing this service is awesome.. and it's a good service he has. Let's not kid ourselves here.. profit is the idea of any business.. otherwise why would we do it?
Last edited by binaryclock; Oct 25, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Aug 2011
148 Posts
yay capitalism
Aekero is offline Find More Posts by Aekero
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:11 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
I'm aware of that. I get my stuff in bulk from DealExtreme and Allelectronics. Add up the shipping. It's a few dollars. Argumentative today, aren't we?

I'm going flying now. The temp has crept up above 28F.
36 here in Alaska this morning
ha ha ha ha
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:14 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Hehe, RG you're making it sound so complex when it's not. It's connectors not rocket science

Also, with joomla and a shopping cart plugin, you can have a website up in 15 minutes. A bit of graphic work and poof, it's rg-connectors.com. Also websites are $3.95 a month for something with low bandwidth requirements.

Regardless, to make it cheap you'd have to be able to do the website yourself, have all the tools already, which I do. Someone that doesn't have those resources would have some start up costs though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling him out. I think providing this service is awesome.. and it's a good service he has. Let's not kid ourselves here.. profit is the idea of any business.. otherwise why would we do it?
'Cuz its fun?

Go for it BC, you will be rich and flying 100cc beasts around in no time.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:28 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Hobbyking motors.

Having just ranted about Hobbyking motors being out of stock, I thought I should at least point out that they now have a whole slew of new ones and most of the SK3 series seem to be in stock. Don't know anything about them yet though.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...URNIGY_SK.html

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2009
228 Posts
Would you think that the turnigy 350mah 2s batteries would work in this?
They are an extra 6 grams and 6mm thick. (21g vs 15g)
If the mods are possible, you nearly double your capacity.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Aussie link ^^^^
edak is offline Find More Posts by edak
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:29 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Nov 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:51 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
963 Posts
Quote:
PS- stock @ -20 now.
Back in stock and pressed "order" within 5 minutes. Muhahaha... :-)
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Jul 2011
963 Posts
Quote:
Probably going to be too heavy...right up there in the nose.
I was thinking about them as well. 6g more, hmm... I'll probably get rid of the landing gear anyway, I guess that's going to even things out.

Quote:
Guess we really won't know much till folks start getting them and playing around with batts and such...
For that price I think I'll just get one of the 350s and experiment a little.

Failing that maybe try hooking up two of the Turnigy 300s in a 2s config:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5FmCPx%5F.html

I'm excited, I want that thing now! I've been flying my first ultra micro behind the house now for a week and being able to go fly on a moments' notice in the evening calm is just awesome.

- Mark
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Hmmm..... back in stock :P Now that I'm pulling out of the Beast and Future Horizon products because of AS3x and not being able to disable it, I may actually get one of these.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:23 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Last edited by maukabud; Nov 19, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
963 Posts
Quote:
Better hurry then. Stock only shows in the "yellow bar" range... won't be long before they're b/o'd again.
Red now, 2 left. You think they put those boxes on the shelf at all or ship them right back out of the receiving bay?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:59 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Last edited by maukabud; Nov 19, 2011 at 10:33 PM.