HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2003, 11:49 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
739 Posts
Re: looks like it's going to be 16cells...

Quote:
Originally posted by soholingo

At any rate, anyone have any tips on how to remove the cardboard from these cells?

Jay
Soak them in warm water for a few minutes. The cardboard comes off very easily then. I know it sounds wrong, but everyone does it. Very easy.

I usually rip off as much cardboard as possible first and then give the cells the bath. That way, you end up with less mushy cardboard.

Hope that helps,

Ryan
96S14 is offline Find More Posts by 96S14
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2003, 11:53 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Helps a lot. I was soaking them in alcohol. I have never had cells that had voltage like this. My cells are showing 1.3 volts!!!!!
amazing!!!!!

It was taking me 10 minutes to scrape the first few cells clean, with hot warter and alchohol it's taking me about 20 seconds!!!! Great!!!
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Last edited by soholingo; Oct 02, 2003 at 12:04 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:22 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Finally, building this thing...

My mini Graphite came without instructions, and I have done my research so I am going to post my pictures and construction in this thread. First bit of construction on this plane is fixing the poor flap deflections. The common trick has been to drill into the wiper blade and insert the brass clevis into the wiper and reinforce it. Here is how I did it...

Drill the wiper with a 3/32 drill bit. And then with a little coaxing the brass clevis will screw right in...
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:24 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
These pictures are horrible...

sorry about the poor quality of the pics...
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:26 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Here is a shot of the "mix" being applied inside the wiper and surrounding the brass clevis. I did a mix of:

3 hour epoxy (with a bit extra hardner)
lots of microballons (for that light airy feel)
a bit of milled glass (for strength)

This is how I will leave it for tonight, I will take better pics tomorrow...
Old Oct 14, 2003, 09:13 AM
Finland
Joined Sep 2001
43 Posts
Same solution as I had
Joni Piililš is offline Find More Posts by Joni Piililš
Old Oct 14, 2003, 09:47 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
Joni

The instructions, I received, recommend a hard balsa block/strip must be glued in, with a tight fit, between the front of the wing servos and the main spar - I assume this is to prevent flexing of the top skin / flutter. Looking at your pics I see you have used the Volz alum. mounts - I used the plastic Volz servo mounts available from Hoellin - our mounts obviously spread the load over a bigger area and in addition I have an extra layer of glass on the inside of the upper skin (also in the instructions) - I was wondering if the hard balsa block is needed although, t is not a big job to add it!

Some of the guys on this site used the factory fitted holes for the flap horns. I will be sport flying - do I need the full 80 degree deflections to land on a fairly small field ?
rorywquin is offline Find More Posts by rorywquin
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:58 PM
Finland
Joined Nov 2002
36 Posts
MG flaps

rorywquin,

for reference check the video on this thread (address is posted by me on Sep 23, 2003).

There you can see my MG landing with about 40 degrees of flaps. It is quite ok, but I am still planning to modify it for 80 degrees in order to get better control while landing in small fields.

BR Olli
ollik is offline Find More Posts by ollik
Old Oct 15, 2003, 04:08 AM
I "plant" trees (balsa)
Eisenschmitt, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
777 Posts
I guess we all have our ideas on flaps on the M-G (and other planes) but I find the M-G will land on a postage stamp without any flap mods. I've noticed a lot of folks who have extreme flap extentions seem to have servo problems a lot more often than the norm. To each his own.
Gary Retterbush is offline Find More Posts by Gary Retterbush
Old Oct 15, 2003, 05:21 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Retterbush
I guess we all have our ideas on flaps on the M-G (and other planes) but I find the M-G will land on a postage stamp without any flap mods. I've noticed a lot of folks who have extreme flap extentions seem to have servo problems a lot more often than the norm. To each his own.
I intend to try the original position for the flap horn - we land Lift OFFs (admittedly lightly loaded), Fuegos etc with no problems on our field and it is SMALL!

If it does not work I will change the horn position !1
Old Oct 15, 2003, 05:54 AM
Finland
Joined Nov 2002
36 Posts
rorywquin,

I had Fuego and have currently Lift Off. I feel that my MG even with "original flaps" is much easier to land to small field than Lift Off. My Lift Off and MG are both quite heavy 2,4 and 2,5 kg.

Olli
ollik is offline Find More Posts by ollik
Old Oct 15, 2003, 07:02 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
Ok Olli - sold !! Standard deflections for me!
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:36 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
These servo problems are they do to the increased deflection or to the amount of force required to hold the flap in the extreme positions?

j
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:38 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Or flaps dragging on the ground at touchdown?
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:55 AM
Finland
Joined Sep 2001
43 Posts
Quote:
I guess we all have our ideas on flaps on the M-G (and other planes) but I find the M-G will land on a postage stamp without any flap mods.
Well this is the case if you do have a field which don't have
high obstacles. However it is not possible to have a steep approach at reasonable airspeed with flaps 30 - 40 degrees.
When flaps are set to 80 degrees, its possible to start a steep approach after high obstacle is behind plane and still make the landing without hitting the end of landing area.
Joni Piililš is offline Find More Posts by Joni Piililš