SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:04 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Oh NO!!! Not another Mini Graphite Thread...

I have had my Mini Graphite for about a month or so. And I have been debating how I will build it, what components to use, which motor, etc... I know most of you guys know the fit and finish on this plane is incredible. The ONLY short coming of this plane is that the number of sub c cells that can fit into this plane is limited to 14 in a traditional pack. I have seen others get 16 in, but only after linking them up end to end (yes 1 stick of 16 cells.) That said here is how I have decided to set up my mini graphite.

1. Motor Hacker b50 11s w/ 6.7:1 gearbox
2. Esc Jet Advanced 70 opto
3. Ubec
4. Wing servos 4 hs125 wing servos
5. Vtail servos hs81
6. RX Fma Magnum
7. prop RFM 18.5 x 12
8. Battery pack 12xhrsc2600 and/or 16 h/r faup cells

According to motocalc 12 hrsc2600 and 16 hr faup packs would put out about the same amount of power. I already have enough hrsc cells to make 3 12cell packs so i will use those

Everything came in today, so I can start work... Pics later...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2003, 04:53 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
You'll crash it
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:51 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,499 Posts
"You'll crash it"

Quite possibly . . .

So watch that CofG !

Quote:
soholingo said
The ONLY short coming of this plane is that the number of sub c cells that can fit into this plane is limited to 14 in a traditional pack. I have seen others get 16 in, but only after linking them up end to end (yes 1 stick of 16 cells.)
I may be wrong here, ( it's been known ), but, as far as I can make out . . .

A pack of SubC's in a "1 stick of 16 cells" configuration would be over 30" long . . .

How the devil d'you get THAT into a model ?

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:40 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Way too much stuffs in it. I would go for a smaller motor, like a B40 6L with 4.4:1 on 10x CP1700 ( 2x5)with a RFM 15x10. It would be a lighter model and thermal well. Stay away fron BEC, use a small pack(350mah) in stead. The MG is not a fast plane(lot os wing), good for slow-medium speed and meant to be thermal, not hot dog.

Brian, an EAJ.
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Sep 21, 2003, 03:56 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
The spiro which has a similar wing area, although lower aspect ratio, is great on even 10xFAUP or today it was a ton of fun on 10xgp3300. I recently started using a smaller receiver battery, and switched to a lighter motor in the Spiro. That saved 4oz all up and was well worth it.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:04 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,695 Posts
You guys are forgetting that Soho loves to think he can get true F5B performance out of some small plane by stuffing it full of heavy gear, and when it explodes over PA, it's a "surprise."
That 30" long battery will lend the plane some interesting flying characteristics, what with all that inertia/momentum at the far ends.
Soho, listen to the voices of reason here and consider the recommendations of the manufacturer.

Dieter Mahlein
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Sep 21, 2003, 02:50 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
If we listened to manufacturers we would be flying bandits on speed 400 motors...

It's real clear that I should stop sharing as much about my flying as I do...
Old Sep 21, 2003, 03:22 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Jay

I am not saying that the MG won't handle the load. It may be a fantastic amount of fun set up that way. FVK products are very well made. The Absolutes I sold had excellent wings, as good as any I've seen for strength.

All I am saying is that saving weight is still important and having a plane that is responsive at slower speeds, that needs less power to climb because it is light, is more capable of thermalling, are goals that I value.

At the 7 cell glider comp, one of the pilots was using a Hacker B50 when the others flew B40s. The B50 plane came down faster, and went up faster. Coming down counted more than going up in this comp.

Keep talking I enjoy the throughts even if my own opinions are sometimes different.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:11 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soholingo
If we listened to manufacturers we would be flying bandits on speed 400 motors...
Correct. And others make you want to think anything 60ish inch span is a hotliner...

I should have used these smiley things in my previous post and above, but I don't like them, so here is somewhat more constructive input:
Save the B50 for your Surprises and consider a good 7-cell F5B system for the MG... except run it on 10 cells. Depending on the drive and cells, you can use anything from a 14x10 to a 15x13 prop and likely put the portly 16-cell set-up to shame. No kidding...

Dieter Mahlein
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Sep 22, 2003, 08:22 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShredAir

I should have used these smiley things in my previous post and above, but I don't like them,
I don't like smileys either and I understood your post as you intended. I was in bad mood, and it came out in my writing...

Quote:

Save the B50 for your Surprises and consider a good 7-cell F5B system for the MG... except run it on 10 cells. Depending on the drive and cells, you can use anything from a 14x10 to a 15x13 prop and likely put the portly 16-cell set-up to shame. No kidding...
Dieter Mahlein
I appreciate the input. I am still in my experimenting stage, and the things you tell me are always taken seriously. That said, I always thought 7 cell motors were the best place to be. Cheaper (fewer cells), lighter, and still more climb than one would expect. BUT flying the MG with 16 cells should be easier than flying the s11 with 16 cells (because of the bigger slower airfoil).

That said, what are some good 7 cell setups. I was thinking any motor in the 5500 -6500 kv range with a big gearbox.

Jay
Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:41 PM
Finland
Joined Nov 2002
36 Posts
Jay,

I have following setup in my MG

1. Motor Hacker b50 10s w/ 6.7:1 gearbox
2. Esc Jeti Hacker 70 opto
3. RX battery 4 x Twicel 700
4. Wing servos 4 Wolz Micro Maxx X
5. Vtail servos 2 x WIng Maxx X
6. RX Futaba 148 DP
7. prop RFM 15 x 13 / + 5 deg "center block" (will be changed to 15 x 16 prop)
8. Battery pack 14xRC 2400 (my friend has 18 CP 1700 size cells). I have not checked the amps with this setup, but it is propably somewhere around 65 A.

The climbing performance is reasonably good and the plane is quite fast with the motor on. It is still easy to self launch. Total weight is around 2450 g (~87,5 ounce). The extra weight is not a problem for MG. With the flaps it is very easy to land (I think much easier than my Lift Off which is not difficult either).

Maybe this setup is not what MG is originally intended to, but it is really fun to fly, quite fast and thermals good enough for me = a real allrounder.

Keep us posted when you get yours in the air.

Olli
ollik is offline Find More Posts by ollik
Last edited by ollik; Sep 22, 2003 at 12:45 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:46 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
ollik,

I knew my setup was NOT unreasonable. I read your setup and others, including that one guy with the 16 cells in a one row. Keep in mind, I am getting advice from those who have not seen this ship in person. Structurally it is the equal of any F5b I have seen, although it's not as light. It IS fully molded, and reinforced with carbon and kevlar weave.

Jay
Old Sep 22, 2003, 03:41 PM
I like cheese...
Bloomington, IN
Joined Sep 2001
846 Posts
If it were me, I would probably go light, staying with a true 7-cell competition system.
Hacker, Pletti, or even Aveox should have something that will work for your application.
Use the larger 2600-3000 sub-c cells to get the run time. It sounds like the airframe will have no problem fitting those.
Use two servos so you have rudder and elevator. This plane sounds like a great one to chase thermals, and to fly at a decent speed too. A light setup will give you the most fun. -- John P
Whizwaz is offline Find More Posts by Whizwaz
Old Sep 22, 2003, 04:20 PM
Pearland, Texas
Joined Jul 2002
646 Posts
good thread Soho, which leads me to think maybe we need a "What are you powering your Mini G with?" I would be interested in the different configurations. I like the price of the MG and all the good news, but what would I power one with???
bwaltz is offline Find More Posts by bwaltz
Old Sep 22, 2003, 05:11 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I don't want to sound like a know it all, because I really don't. No one does.... The deal is this, I flew a similar setup with the Nike. And I loved it. Only difference, I will be flying a fully molded plane with 4 more cells. The weight is not a concern I have. I want Ballistic climb on the equipment I have, and I want to be able to keep the plane in the trunk of my car. 12 cells and a big prop is not unreasonable. If it is I will be the first to come back and say "I should have listened...." tic will tell you I say that to him all the time....

Then again, I don't know what a decent 7 cell setup is like....

I have my beat up nike for decent climbs and floating...