SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:23 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,624 Posts
Discussion
2012 iHobby

Does anyone plan to attend this week's iHobby Expo in Chicago?

www.ihobbyexpo.com

I know of several manufacturers will be debuting new model boat kits - yes, RC - but am curious to see if J.Lloyd will finally confirm anything from their long delayed Lindberg line.
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:02 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,842 Posts
HERRMILL- At this point in time, as far as Lindberg line of boat kits, seeing is believing. No matter what anyone says at Chicago, until the models are available for sale in the hobby shops, I would not even start a thread about the Lindberg boats. We have been there and done that too many times before.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:28 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,624 Posts
Agreed Frank. Have no intention of starting another Lindy thread but more curious to see if they actually show a real kit.

If anyone here does attend the expo this weekend, please post some pics. Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:41 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
I am planning to attend and I usually take my camera to things like this. I'll try to shoot the cool stuff.
I also heard this is the last year for the show in Chicago, Illinois. Next year will be in Cleveland, Ohio. This is from a reliable source at my local hobby shop.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:23 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
I'll be there Thursday afternoon. I'll see if I can find anything, maybe post a few photos.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:50 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,613 Posts
I wish I had the time with only being about 6 hours away.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:18 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
I thought I saw a press release from Lindberg stating they were just finishing the retooled masters for their line... but it was dark, and I was pretty far away. It may have just been aliens or Bigfoot.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:27 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ56 View Post
I thought I saw a press release from Lindberg stating they were just finishing the retooled masters for their line... but it was dark, and I was pretty far away. It may have just been aliens or Bigfoot.
Another urban legend !
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:37 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
I didn't see any Lindbergh models - I looked, but couldn't find.

Arkmodels from CN had the usual display of ships - Mo, Hood, and several CN warships. Nothing much of interest anywhere.

And the place is only 3/4 full of vendors and dealer/industry attendance is WAY down. I saw my hobby shop boss from PA and he was talking about how is store is hurting. "Too many guys buying stuff via the Internet in their underwear at 2 AM."

In the long run, it hurts everybody. Fewer modelers locally to hang out with, fewer hobby shops, and fewer jobs here in the US.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Thanks for the word Andy. Awhile back I was looking at the show's vendor list. Didn't see enough of what I'd be interested in to drive to Chicago. For a Milwaukeean Rosemont is a pain to get into and out of, plus $$$ for admission and parking.

If the rumor is true hopefully a change of venue will help. I can remember the old days just about the time RCHTA took over the show from the modelers and made it a trade show. It grew every year and none of the big companies would dare miss it.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:10 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,624 Posts
Sounds similar to what I witnessed last month at Shanghai's SIME which also was also less attended & vendors complained of slow business. Sounds like a world market issue to me.

From what I read on another forum Lindberg was there showing off their retooled kits & Moeibus displayed a new 1:72 Skipjack for us sub fans.

Here is a link that shows the sub at the iHobbyExpo http://culttvman.com/main/?p=18803
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:14 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
Sounds like they were pretty busy on Saturday, though, when the general public was in. Glad I wasn't there!

All the vendors I spoke with were looking forward to Cleveland.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,842 Posts
The word I received form the manufacturers who attended , (and paid for the booth space), was that the show was a disaster. The attendance was way, way down for dealer days, with a lot of dealers opting out of coming to the show, and the only increase of people was when it was open to the public, with a big emphasis on bringing the kids for the make and take, and ride the “THOMAS THE TRAIN” layout.

So other than the stroller races in the isles, there was very little action among the serious modelers. With this show moving to Cleveland next year, I think that it will more harm than good to a show with has been bleeding blood and losing its manufacturing and dealer base, which was what it was originally setup for.

This show is one of the most expensive shows for a manufacturer as well dealers to attend, along with the fact that it is not user friendly for the average modeler unless he lives within walking distance. It is a fact of life that the internet has pretty much taken over the hobby industry, which is no great surprise since it has done the same across the board in almost every facet of the buying public. I don’t know how much longer the show will continue and I wish no one any ill, but I think we may be witnessing the death throws of this once great show.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:15 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
Change of venue will definitely help WRAMS.

Cleveland sure can't hurt iHobby any. Anything is better than a slow, anguishing death. I give the organizers a thumb up for at least changing SOMETHING rather than just watching idly while it dies.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:24 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,982 Posts
A few years ago, iHobby came to Los Angeles. The idea at the time, I was told, was to alternate year by year between Chitown and LA.

I thought the show was great. It was very crowded too, from my perspective as a public consumer. However, the show powers that be said it was not attended enough and so they cancelled ever coming back to LA.

The only other shows in LA now are the AMA annual convention, which is understandably focused on model airplane stuff, and the RCX show which is focused on model cars and trucks. Very little boat stuff at either show.

Maybe the people at iHobby should reconsider LA as a venue.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot