SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:34 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
New Product
MultiWiiCopter "MiniWii" FC - Cheap, small 6DOF FC

The first "MiniWii" flight controllers have landed in the shop. Limited numbers - low introduction price!

"MiniWii" is a arduino-based flight controller purpose-built for MultiWiiCopter. It has a 6DOF sensor array onboard and supports autolevel. Optional compass and altimeter can be used via the I2C header. It comes with Arduino optiboot bootloader preflashed to the board.

36,5*36,5 mm/6 gram - M3 mounting holes with 30.5 mm spacing.(same size as OpenPilot CopterControl)

Supports up to 6PWM outputs and 4 servos.

Hardware:
Atmega328P @ 16 Mhz
ITG-3205 3-axis MEMS gyroscope
BMA180 3-axis MEMS accelerometer
Integrated logic level converter
6-pin ISP socket
FTDI Header
I2C header for optional compass and barometer upgrade
Dual LDOs: Mic5205 for Vcc and Mic5203 for 3v3

ISP and FDTI pins are soldered for testing purposes. All other I/O pins will have to be soldered by enduser. (Pins included)

Introduction price is 59E including VAT. Limited numbers available at the moment. You can get them from ViaCopter

Colored versions will be made available later. Kits will also be available!

MiniWii is Open Hardware under a CC-SA-NC license (non-commercial). The hardware will be kept at a constant "beta" stage, and may be subject to change. Feel free to rework the design or use it in any way you see fit, as long as its for private/non-commercial purposes. Email me for copies of the Eagle source! (They will be made available here later on)

Warthox flight vid:

mwc quad // miniwii board (3 min 2 sec)

Bas10ans 1S nanocopter with a 3.3V/16Mhz miniwii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QARVzJ2z6-4
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JussiH; Dec 26, 2011 at 08:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Pinout and power options

The Miniwii follows standard Arduino pin-names, so any of the existing diagrams for connections will work just fine!

Berkely did a fine job on documenting the different connection options in clear and simple shcematics:

Alternatively you can refer to Alexs diagrams on page1 on the Multiwii thread

I have also posted the motor pinout table I made a while back.

Soldering/Preparing:

The connectors are setup like standard 3-pin servo connector. GND is closest to board edge, PWR is middle pin and signal is the inside pin. GND and PWR are parallel on all motor/rx/servo pins.

Only populate the pins you need. In the example below I have only populated 5V/GND for one RX channel and one ESC. This way the single ESC will power both the RX and the board. This works fine in most cases, but if you are running lots of servos, you might want to consider adding a proper BEC and supply 5V (from regulated source) onto the Vcc pin

Alternatively you can power the board with 5-12,4V to the GND/power pads at A6. You will need to cut the power trace between A3 and A6 or you will fry your RX. (See picture) Verify with multimeter that power pads at A3 and A6 are no longer connected and you will still need a 5V source to power the RX! Also bear in mind that an LDO will heat up considerably as the input voltage is increased - I dont recommend going over 3S, but on paper the 5V LDO should be able to handle up to 20V input.

Last way to power the board is by applying 5V directly to VCC pin (from a regulated source, a BEC will inject a lot of noise)

The LDOs is 150ma for Vcc and 80mA for 3v3, so dont connect heavy drain stuff to Vcc or 3v3 pads (Will be fine for lowpwr stuff like BT or additional sensor breakouts)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JussiH; Oct 21, 2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Programming MiniWii

The MultiWii software is flashed via a 5V USB-serial adapter. Look at post 2 for picture of connection.

Miniwii was designed to fit the "standard" pinsequence for FDTI-type adapters and cables - refer to "blk" and "grn" markings on your adapter and the Miniwii board...

It is IMPORTANT that you use an adapter that has the DTR pin available (for autoreset) I use this one:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716

But I think this one is more versatile:

http://flyduino.net/USB-UART-Adapter-ersetzt-FTDI

Right now I recommend using the 0022 or 0023 IDE from Arduino CC (Some bugs have been reported with the newest 1.0 version):

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

And you can get the Multiwii skecth from here:

http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list

------

Unpack the Arduino forlder to any location on your machine. Grab the latest version of Multiwii (1.9 at time of writing this)

Connect the USB-serial adapter (install relevant drivers) and connect the board to adapter.

Open the file "MultiWii 1_9.pde" in Arduino. You should see 11 tabs with the different parts of the Multiwii code.

Go to the setup.h tab (this is the main tab for setup changes)

Arduino uses standard C syntax for comments. A set of slashes (//) means that everything on the line after the slashes will not be included when the code is compiled (it is commented out). We use this to choose the appropriate defines by removing or adding double slashes in front of a code line. The most important are:

Code:
#define I2C_SPEED 400000L  //(enables 400Khz i2c communication)
#define ITG3200 //(Enables ITG3200)
#define BMA180 //(Enables BMA180)
//#define INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS (Disable the internal pullups)
You will also find defines for specific frame types and minthrottle. Choose the define for your particular frame type and set the minthrotthle value to 1080-1150 (#define MINTHROTTLE), depending on your ESCs (ESCs should be calibrated to your TXs throttle range, - follow the manufactorers instructions). Motors should just spin when the copter is armed...

Also consider the failsafe settings (failsafe is enabled by default)

Go to "tools" -> "boards" and choose UNO.

Then click "tools" -> "serial port" and choose the port that was assigned to your Usb/serial adapter when you installed it (Look in device manager, but usually it the COM port with the highest number).

Then click the "upload" button in the top bar of the Arduino IDE. Arduino will now compile the source into a .hex file and upload it to the board.

You have now programmed your board.....Close down Arduino IDE

Open up the MultiwiiConf_1_9 folder and find the version for your main OS (MultiWiiConf_1_9.exe for Windows). You need a recent version of Java for the GUI to work:

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

When the GUI is open, you will see a list of COM-ports in the top left column. Choose the same port as used to flash the software in Arduino

Give it a few seconds and the click "start". You should now see the sensor-curves in the GUI.

Make sure the craft or board is level and click "calib accel". This will zero out the accel. Gyros are zeroed on startup.

Then click "read". You should now see your PID and settings values.

Values are changed by "clickndrag" moves: Place the mouse pointer over the value you want to change. Then Click and Hold the left button and "slide" the values up and down by moving the mouse left and right. When you change values, you have to click "write" afterwards.

Most "normal" setups should fly fine on stock PID values. But you may need to modify for your individual frame and setup. So here is a few "very basic" PID Pointers...

P = Proportional, the amount of correction applied. (Can be described as the "gain" factor). If you get fast oscilations, then P is too high. Tune P as high as you can until you start to see oscilation and then back it a bit down.

I = Integral, the crafts tendency to hold attitude angle. ("Heading hold" factor). Too high I is visible as "overshoot" when correction is applied

D = Derivative, the speed at which corrections are applied. ("Dampening" factor). If your craft builds up large/slow oscillations you need to raise D value. (For D parameter, a Higher number means more "dampening" and High D will decrease the influence of P)

For level PIDs:

P = Proportional ("gain") factor: How much correction is applied

I = Integral ("speed") factor: How fast corrections is applied.

For more details and setup questions look at the main Multiwii thread or pay a visit to the forum section on www.multiwii.com).

Shikra also made a guide that covers all the basics of setting up a multiwiicopter:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348268
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JussiH; Dec 26, 2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:36 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Reserved - further documentation
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:36 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Reserved
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:43 PM
Fabio Varesano
Torino, Italy
Joined Jan 2011
419 Posts
subscribing
fax8 is offline Find More Posts by fax8
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2011
1,075 Posts
looking very nice jussi!
Goofy23 is offline Find More Posts by Goofy23
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:43 PM
No you cant fly it.
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Mar 2011
1,257 Posts
so the board wont have motor and rx pins soldered on from purchase? not a problem, just curious.
kicekilla is offline Find More Posts by kicekilla
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:24 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Subscribed, veeeeery cool!
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:41 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,755 Posts
HeHe....!

Real nice board.
I am making camping in front of my mailbox until it's there...!

So... of course Subscribed
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:02 PM
No you cant fly it.
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Mar 2011
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
HeHe....!

Real nice board.
I am making camping in front of my mailbox until it's there...!

So... of course Subscribed
order one already? I had trouble checking out... it wont let me past the shipping options. it says "error please choose another shipping option" but there isnt one.
kicekilla is offline Find More Posts by kicekilla
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:12 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,755 Posts
I have order direcly from Jussy
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:48 AM
Simple is the best
Joined May 2011
1,144 Posts
Nice mini board. I will use with BambuCopter.
Widelec is offline Find More Posts by Widelec
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Widelec; Oct 19, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:13 AM
North Sweden
Joined Jun 2007
593 Posts
Ordered :-)

Shouldnt take to long to arrive at my place as we are neighbouring countries.
cyberdog is offline Find More Posts by cyberdog
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:27 AM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
niice
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)