HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:23 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Discussion
SR-71 profile rocket glider

For those of you that missed out on a hobbylab SR-71, or just thought it was too expensive or hard to fly, I decided to update my profile version, larger than the hobbylab version but for the same 24mm reloads.

I used up all my scrap depron last night, re-working my SR-71 profile for rocket boost. I pushed the motor mount as far forward as I could for CG reasons, without sacrificing the look, and I modified the elevons to be a bit thicker and took out the carbon reinforce and the decorative cuts that were to match the top view. I don't think it will impact the look at all.

It's very simple, only carbon needed is a single 1/8" longeron to give some support to the neck area, only difficult part is slicing the slots for the nacells at a slight angle, not hard, just need to do the same thing on both sides.

This version came in around 9.75 oz or so, about 50% less than the hobbylab version.

Here are the pieces and assembled test version. And then the final product, showing servo and rx/bec mounting and launch lug.

Test flight today, 10/22/2011 was perfect, about 3/16" of uptrim on the flap switch for glide, very nice easy slow landing and flare

Plans are here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979395

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Aug 10, 2014 at 03:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:29 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Profile SR-71

Looks good to me!
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:31 PM
Failure is ALWAYS an option
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Mar 2008
253 Posts
Ha I love the idea of a profile boost glider. I've been wanting to try boost gliding and now have found the way!

Can't wait to see this video!
FlyBoy38L is online now Find More Posts by FlyBoy38L
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:33 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Yes indeed. It was a nice landing. Interesting idea, even if I have seen projects like it before. It has been a while. Really liked to see your success.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Dec 05, 2013, 11:37 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
I made another adapter for my SR-71 and X-15 using a grayson V3 microjet and a 20 amp esc that I can swap between them using the same motor that plugs into the rocket mount. Works great. I'm using an apc 6x4 and a 3 s eflite 800mah pack and get between 5-6 minutes at about half throttle, unlimited vertical etc. I got bored with the full flat black and decided to put a bit of silver sharpie accents on the SR-71.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Natter