HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:34 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonbuck1 View Post
not sure if you got my earlier message. doesn't look like it went through. i have been there once and loved the spot. i was wondering if there is a chance for night and weekend hours? i have to take a vacation day in order to fly. my dad flys there alot. Bob DeBoer. i'm sure you know him. i would be willing to pay $15 to $20 for nights or weekends. maybe others would too. i'm just wondering. keep me informed i would support this to make it popular.
I replied in a private message earlier but this allows others to see the answer so here it goes:

We will be trying to get some night flying in but it will most likely be one evening a month and NOT thursday through sunday. Those times are booked solid. There was the possibility for tuesday nights at 8pm but we are looking into that with the fall schedule still expanding. So the short answer is, we are trying to get some. If it happens I will update reply #1 of this topic with the latest info. That topic will hold anything I find out/change. I don't want to miss replying to someone specific so you can always access that specific reply as a webpage by this URL -> Latest info here in reply 1
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:21 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
First reply updated

We had 12 people turn out today and as expected we were able to stay 10-2. They are working on getting the power put back into their heaters so it was a bit nippy today. That should improve as the season progresses. Basically we flew today unsupervised and didn't have lights but it was mostly ok due to the brighter day outside. Thanks to everyone that came out. Hope to see you next week as well!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by coreman; Oct 28, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:42 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,489 Posts
10-2 is GREAT!!!!

Thanks Jim

I don't care about heat and with a sunny day its bright enough in there. I hope to make the next one.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:54 PM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
10-2 is GREAT!!!!

Thanks Jim

I don't care about heat and with a sunny day its bright enough in there. I hope to make the next one.
Jim's thumbs got so cold, his Yak got taken out by a champ!
pondside is offline Find More Posts by pondside
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:29 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondside View Post
Jim's thumbs got so cold, his Yak got taken out by a champ!
Yeah. That was why! Couldn't be all that rust
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:57 PM
USA, MA, Framingham
Joined Feb 2003
153 Posts
I'll be there on Veteran's Day with several extra planes, just in case one of the old Gremlin pilots from CT shows up.
Mad Scientist is offline Find More Posts by Mad Scientist
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:49 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
other locations/costs

Just so people have a feel for where we stand compared to other local clubs, the NEPRO guys are flying from 1-3pm on fridays in East Windsor CT. Here is a video of it
From the Ellington club website (http://ncrcc.org/joomla/):
Note: Indoor flying is $5/Hr.
Indoor Flying - E. Windsor Soccer Dome starts 2nd week in November (11th), Fridays 1-3PM
ACTIVE - Indoor Flying at Tolland Soccer Dome, 1-3 PM Wednesdays

Remember, we are currently $10 for 10am-2pm, 4 hours. What a bargain!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:33 AM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Just so people have a feel for where we stand compared to other local clubs, the NEPRO guys are flying from 1-3pm on fridays in East Windsor CT. Here is a video of it
From the Ellington club website (http://ncrcc.org/joomla/):
Note: Indoor flying is $5/Hr.
Indoor Flying - E. Windsor Soccer Dome starts 2nd week in November (11th), Fridays 1-3PM
ACTIVE - Indoor Flying at Tolland Soccer Dome, 1-3 PM Wednesdays

Remember, we are currently $10 for 10am-2pm, 4 hours. What a bargain!!
Jim,
Thanks, the last two weeks seemed to be a good turn out in Auburn, $10 for 4 hours is a good deal. Plus the E. Windsor dome looks smaller than Auburn, Tolland is a bigger Dome, but you said they have over head obstacles, (wires). I don't think we can suport three domes, Auburn has treated us well, if we can keep up the numbers, maybe we can get them to add more times, (weekends or evenings).

Bob
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:17 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Jim,
Thanks, the last two weeks seemed to be a good turn out in Auburn, $10 for 4 hours is a good deal. Plus the E. Windsor dome looks smaller than Auburn, Tolland is a bigger Dome, but you said they have over head obstacles, (wires). I don't think we can suport three domes, Auburn has treated us well, if we can keep up the numbers, maybe we can get them to add more times, (weekends or evenings).

Bob
Reason for other dome posting
The other gotcha with Tolland is that you need to carry your stuff in through one building to get to the dome "airlock" in order to get access. While it's not far, you don't want to be making 5 trips. I'm not saying to support all three, but if people west of Auburn stumble upon this topic, they can see some alternatives. Tolland is only about 25 minutes south from me. I'm 20 minutes west of Auburn.

Latest on possible evenings
The turnout has been good and some different people so it's not a matter of everyone needing to be there every week. I believe we had 12 again yesterday. I talked to the owners and discussed the evening situation. They have a slot available on sunday nights from 9pm to 11pm we could use. Is there enough interest for us to arrange that? I know it is the night before a workday typically. The tuesday night slot has been booked up. Would we want to do it once a month in order to get turnout up, or every other week or just once to see the turnout or what? They would probably want the $10 for the 2 hours in that case. If I can get some email from people that would be interested we can see what we have for numbers and decide. The question is:

Is 9pm-11pm on sunday nights a workable time?
If so, how frequently would you be interested in using the space? Once a month, every 2 weeks, or every week (remember, we need to have the numbers to get the allocation)

There is also the possibility of a spot night if they get a cancellation but we might not know more than a day or two in advance
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:48 PM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Reason for other dome posting
The other gotcha with Tolland is that you need to carry your stuff in through one building to get to the dome "airlock" in order to get access. While it's not far, you don't want to be making 5 trips. I'm not saying to support all three, but if people west of Auburn stumble upon this topic, they can see some alternatives. Tolland is only about 25 minutes south from me. I'm 20 minutes west of Auburn.

Latest on possible evenings
The turnout has been good and some different people so it's not a matter of everyone needing to be there every week. I believe we had 12 again yesterday. I talked to the owners and discussed the evening situation. They have a slot available on sunday nights from 9pm to 11pm we could use. Is there enough interest for us to arrange that? I know it is the night before a workday typically. The tuesday night slot has been booked up. Would we want to do it once a month in order to get turnout up, or every other week or just once to see the turnout or what? They would probably want the $10 for the 2 hours in that case. If I can get some email from people that would be interested we can see what we have for numbers and decide. The question is:

Is 9pm-11pm on sunday nights a workable time?
If so, how frequently would you be interested in using the space? Once a month, every 2 weeks, or every week (remember, we need to have the numbers to get the allocation)

There is also the possibility of a spot night if they get a cancellation but we might not know more than a day or two in advance
Jim,
Thanks again,we all owe you for stepping up to help make these arrangements. I was thinking of just myself about Auburn, My Bad, your right others south and west of Auburn could find these other domes more convenient. Sunday night would not be my favorite pick, but I would support it, just to show the owners we are serious about flying there. I'm retired and flying Friday 10 to 2 is a piece of cake, but for others that are working I realize it's difficult to get the time off. We really need to show the owners that we are a group that can contend with the rest of the groups that use the facility.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:16 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Jim,
Thanks again,we all owe you for stepping up to help make these arrangements. I was thinking of just myself about Auburn, My Bad, your right others south and west of Auburn could find these other domes more convenient. Sunday night would not be my favorite pick, but I would support it, just to show the owners we are serious about flying there. I'm retired and flying Friday 10 to 2 is a piece of cake, but for others that are working I realize it's difficult to get the time off. We really need to show the owners that we are a group that can contend with the rest of the groups that use the facility.
No problem. I want to have it available to fly also. it's a great facility when you compare it to some of the school gyms we have used in the past. The owners are very happy to have us in there as we aren't a problem (like some of the softball groups he mentioned) and clean up after ourselves, even when we get a little crazy with the streamers. They will work with us as much as they can. They are having to do a LOT of maintenance as when Teamworks was in there they did none of the required maintenance and so things have gotten to a critical point. They will be replacing the grass next summer and are looking at putting in a radiant floor to heat the place
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:21 PM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
No problem. I want to have it available to fly also. it's a great facility when you compare it to some of the school gyms we have used in the past. The owners are very happy to have us in there as we aren't a problem (like some of the softball groups he mentioned) and clean up after ourselves, even when we get a little crazy with the streamers. They will work with us as much as they can. They are having to do a LOT of maintenance as when Teamworks was in there they did none of the required maintenance and so things have gotten to a critical point. They will be replacing the grass next summer and are looking at putting in a radiant floor to heat the place

Jim,
How'd things go on Friday, 11-11-11, was thinking about you guys.

Bob
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:27 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Jim,
How'd things go on Friday, 11-11-11, was thinking about you guys.

Bob
I think we had 16 paid pilots. A lot of different faces, many from last season. I brought out my Night Yak for some test flights. it even has the gun LEDs on it like your T-28 but they don't blink. We do have access this week but not for the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday). They have someone renting the entire floor.

NightYak.m4v (2 min 43 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:44 AM
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Flying Micro Strykers in the dome is fun, but it tends to eat them. :] Got mine glued up and ready for more punishment.

--ET
etheli is offline Find More Posts by etheli
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:08 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etheli View Post
Flying Micro Strykers in the dome is fun, but it tends to eat them. :] Got mine glued up and ready for more punishment.

--ET
with the tight space and the speed they can attain, there isn't a lot of recovery time on oopsies
RCG Plus Member