HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:40 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Very cool. It was interesting to see the perspective from the plane watching Eric fly and it was nice to have the external monitor to always watch along. Being used to flying "from the tower", is it any harder flying "from the cockpit"?
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:29 AM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
You get a much better view of your target!

BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Very cool. It was interesting to see the perspective from the plane watching Eric fly and it was nice to have the external monitor to always watch along. Being used to flying "from the tower", is it any harder flying "from the cockpit"?
pondside is offline Find More Posts by pondside
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:21 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondside View Post
You get a much better view of your target!

BD
Hope you are feeling better. I just wondered where things were never "nose in" if it caused problems OR if it caused problems when you pulled the goggles off to land it when not FPV or follow on flying
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:27 AM
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
298 Posts
With FPV you don't have the backward orientation issues -- the challenge is in controlling your position and height with only the camera view as feedback. I've not had trouble going between FPV and "regular" R/C flying; they are very different experiences.

The ETFD2 disc is great FPV platform, especially for learning -- you can bump into things and have it not be catastrophic. I've been having a ball with it.

Some great stuff in those Atarix777 videos.

--ET
etheli is offline Find More Posts by etheli
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:32 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etheli View Post
With FPV you don't have the backward orientation issues -- the challenge is in controlling your position and height with only the camera view as feedback. I've not had trouble going between FPV and "regular" R/C flying; they are very different experiences.

The ETFD2 disc is great FPV platform, especially for learning -- you can bump into things and have it not be catastrophic. I've been having a ball with it.

Some great stuff in those Atarix777 videos.

--ET
They were great videos. I wondered about the voiceover but I assume he just has the audio going into his downlink on the base station
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:51 PM
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
298 Posts
Quote:
They were great videos. I wondered about the voiceover but I assume he just has the audio going into his downlink on the base station
I pretty sure he's using a separate camera for recording the video (you can't get that kind of picture quality via an RF link), recording audio into a device in his pocket and then mixing it together later.

--ET
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:10 AM
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
298 Posts
Some video from Friday in the dome. Flying the ETFD2 via FPV, recording video with an 808 #16 keycam.
--ET
ETFD2 FPV 80816 Auburn 2013-02-01 (3 min 28 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:47 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,813 Posts
Great video. There is a marked improvement in clarity and and slower turning. The camera does not seem to adjust as well with sharper turning.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:18 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Just wanted to let people know that I talked to Peter and he plans on being open for us tomorrow. What he said was he will be closing down when we leave at 2pm but barring surprise accumulations he will be open at this point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:09 PM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Thanks Jim, I should be there WX permiting.

Bob

Quote:
Just wanted to let people know that I talked to Peter and he plans on being open for us tomorrow. What he said was he will be closing down when we leave at 2pm but barring surprise accumulations he will be open at this point.
pondside is offline Find More Posts by pondside
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:38 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondside View Post
Thanks Jim, I should be there WX permiting.

Bob
Yep, that's the big "IF". See if the weather guessers got it right
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:45 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Some of you have been to the Star Hill Dome in Tolland

http://www.wfsb.com/story/21095113/b...sports-complex
The bubble roof on the sports complex in Tolland collapsed early Sunday morning, according to state police.

"Despite around the clock efforts by dozens of people who worked to clear the snow safely from the dome, the volume and the weight of 33-plus inches of snow caused enough damage for the dome to collapse," said the Star Hill Family in a statement.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
Not to go off topic, but the one time I was actually able to go fly with you guys, someone had a V939 or similiar quad. I could have sworn he was using a Spektrum remote with an Anylink attached, but from asking around I keep hearing that that setup doesn't work. Can whoever it was that was flying that setup confirm that the Anylink does work with the WL quads or was that quad modified? I ended up buying a V939 for my gf after watching yours fly, but flying on the stock remote sucks.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:05 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
Not to go off topic, but the one time I was actually able to go fly with you guys, someone had a V939 or similiar quad. I could have sworn he was using a Spektrum remote with an Anylink attached, but from asking around I keep hearing that that setup doesn't work. Can whoever it was that was flying that setup confirm that the Anylink does work with the WL quads or was that quad modified? I ended up buying a V939 for my gf after watching yours fly, but flying on the stock remote sucks.
There is a Spektrum compatible quad out there but it isn't one of those. I think it was probably Bob or Eric that had it. There were a few around before the MassiveRC buying started

BTW: I made up a charging/testing octopus out of the connectors I bought and I found that all my batteries were charged to 4.3-4.35v by the USB charger. I discharged them and recharged using my Cellpro 4 but people should be careful with the charging levels and check them
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,655 Posts
+1 I found the same thing with the USB charger.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster