HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Alert
Indoor flying in Auburn MA at the Auburn Sportsplex

Auburn Sportsplex (formerly the location of TeamWorks)

Location, map and directions
Word of warning, last year we found that as the place heats up the snow and ice slides off the roof and can come in contact with the cars parked near the building. If there is snow of the roof, you might want to opt for the spaces away from the building first.

Currently there is no indoor time slot scheduled for Fall 2013

I have email notifications on for this thread so I will see anything posted so feel free to ask questions in the topic so they are there for others to read also. I will update reply #1 with any changes and that will be the latest, correct info.
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by coreman; Nov 03, 2013 at 02:33 AM. Reason: No Fall 2013 sessions at this time
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,294 Posts
Thanks for overseeing this Jim.

Do you think only starting with 2 hours 10am -noon for 10 bucks will kill this?
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Last edited by ducatirdr; Oct 18, 2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:42 PM
USA, MA, Townsend
Joined Jan 2008
52 Posts
Thanks Jim
Teambarger is offline Find More Posts by Teambarger
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:10 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Thanks for overseeing this Jim.

Do you think only starting with 2 hours 10am -noon for 10 bucks will kill this?
I don't know. I am hoping people will get there and fly. I know in the past we have had people come for the morning and then leave to have lunch and not return. They remember the thin crowds in April and May and having to pay the person to be there. I'm hoping we can get a good turnout and switch to 4 hours pretty quickly. The other option is to bump the fee up to $15. Currently there is nobody there fridays before dinner and they need to justify a person being scheduled to work. We could also make it 11-1 to overlap people's lunch hour in hopes of getting more people.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
USA, MA, Framingham
Joined Feb 2003
153 Posts
I was really looking forward to indoor flying this year, but that schedule makes it impossible to leave work early and make there in time to fly. If things keep going I will call in sick a day or two over the winter.

I was hoping for a 12:00- 4:00 this year.
If we don't get blocked out during school holidays, I can make those days.
Mad Scientist is offline Find More Posts by Mad Scientist
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:43 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
I was really looking forward to indoor flying this year, but that schedule makes it impossible to leave work early and make there in time to fly. If things keep going I will call in sick a day or two over the winter.

I was hoping for a 12:00- 4:00 this year.
If we don't get blocked out during school holidays, I can make those days.
hi Eddie,
yeah, i know you need after school times. We are also looking at possibly getting some evening hours, maybe once a month for some "night flying". We need to see the turnout before we can really negotiate the vacation week/Thanksgiving times. They do have the school kid camps those weeks so we would probably get restricted to half the space
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:42 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
We could also make it 11-1 to overlap people's lunch hour in hopes of getting more people.
I would rather we do 10-4 for $10 dollars a couple times a month than 10-noon every Friday. I think we could produce more draw on a wider time slot less times a month. First Friday and third Friday of every month...??? Then they don't have to be there all the time and we can get more participants in a bigger window.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Last edited by ducatirdr; Oct 18, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:45 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Yes that would be better than 10-12
Well, it is scheduled for 10-12 for the 28th and we will check the turnout and see if we need to move it or not. You can always come 11-1 on the weeks we have 10-2

(they need a week's notice for any changes to set their work schedule up)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:55 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
here's some background on what and why this is this way (since people have been asking).

We could have had 4 hours right from day one if we went to $15 per pilot. They were willing to give us 2 hours at $10 and if we get 15 pilots on a regular basis, they will expand the hours to 4. if we took the $15 for 4 hours the price would never go back down. So the idea was we could always bump it to $15 but never back to $10

I made it 10-12 so that if we do get the people or they decide "the guy is there already" we can extend the session into the 4 hours. If we start at 11 or 12, we can't use those earlier hours that same session.

once Worcester State baseball starts at the end of January, we need to move earlier anyway.

That's how it worked out this year with the new/original owners. They need to justify their expenses. it's a great location for a price. if we get some turnout, the cost per hour drops
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:44 PM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
I wish it was a little later window - 12-1pm - so I could swing it at lunch time...we'll see how the chips fall. I'd love to join you guys. New to this hobby, looking for a winter option.
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:04 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,379 Posts
looking forward to making it out there this season, thanks for arranging this

-Adam
AJWoods is online now Find More Posts by AJWoods
Old Oct 21, 2011, 03:37 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
I wish it was a little later window - 12-1pm - so I could swing it at lunch time...we'll see how the chips fall. I'd love to join you guys. New to this hobby, looking for a winter option.
The plan is to have the 10-2 time frame in the cheapest possible manner
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:12 AM
Joined Sep 2005
12 Posts
Welcome to the air Scott! I look forward to seeing you there! and 20 more of your new friends!
Hz42 is offline Find More Posts by Hz42
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:16 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hz42 View Post
Welcome to the air Scott! I look forward to seeing you there! and 20 more of your new friends!
it really is a good group that goes. I am looking forward to seeing everyone again
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:27 PM
crash and burn
United States, MA, WILKINSONVILE
Joined Oct 2011
15 Posts
not sure if you got my earlier message. doesn't look like it went through. i have been there once and loved the spot. i was wondering if there is a chance for night and weekend hours? i have to take a vacation day in order to fly. my dad flys there alot. Bob DeBoer. i'm sure you know him. i would be willing to pay $15 to $20 for nights or weekends. maybe others would too. i'm just wondering. keep me informed i would support this to make it popular.
brandonbuck1 is offline Find More Posts by brandonbuck1