HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:20 AM
Registered Noob
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2011
300 Posts
Discussion
prop advice: calm day vs. windy day props?

Hi All,

Does anyone know or have experience using different size/pitch props on windy days, and did it make much difference in flight?

Its starting to get windy and cold here in the great white north, and this past weekend I was flying my PZ P-51 with winds of 35kph/50+ gusts, but it was a little hairy with the 10x6 I had on it. Needed about 70% throttle on my 3536-1020kv 3s2200mah to move forward into the wind, and battery was completely up front, a little nose-heavy for the wind.

Maybe a smaller diameter or smaller pitch on windy days?
protocol is offline Find More Posts by protocol
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:35 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,772 Posts
Going to a smaller diameter would result in less thrust, exactly the opposite of whats needed! If your wattmeter tests allow an increase in pitch, you would get a little more forward airspeed. The only other recourse is a bigger motor for more power.
Your plane likely flies at 80 klm/hr in still air, if your flying in a 50 klm/hr headwind, it will certainly take 3/4 throttle to go forward, that completely normal! It will go like a rocket the other way, tho. Have fun!! Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
Registered Noob
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2011
300 Posts
thanks for the advice Doug!

I was thinking that a smaller diameter means less of a 'wall' for the wind to run into (drag?), but then again, I don't know anything about props

Maybe I'll put in that G10 I have, I've been slowly working up to it.

oh yeah, the downwind speeds were the fastest I've flown, pretty zippy!

EDIT: mailman just came with some 10x8 props, will try soon (ordered last wk)
Last edited by protocol; Oct 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:17 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol View Post

...I was thinking that a smaller diameter means less of a 'wall' for the wind to run into (drag?), but then again, I don't know anything about props
A larger diameter prop running at a slow RPM can have a significant braking effect that can make handling in the wind more difficult. A moderate RPM will prevent braking and maintain the thrust needed to counteract wind speed and turbulence.
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:05 AM
Account Closed
Toronto, Canada
Joined Aug 2009
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone know or have experience using different size/pitch props on windy days, and did it make much difference in flight?

Its starting to get windy and cold here in the great white north, and this past weekend I was flying my PZ P-51 with winds of 35kph/50+ gusts, but it was a little hairy with the 10x6 I had on it. Needed about 70% throttle on my 3536-1020kv 3s2200mah to move forward into the wind, and battery was completely up front, a little nose-heavy for the wind.

Maybe a smaller diameter or smaller pitch on windy days?
James..try the apc 10/7 or the MAS 10/8

MUCH better choices for your setup,,,and mate, plop that G10 in,,,mine is now a rocket with the 10/7 apc or mas 10/8 she is FAST!

cheers
GTAEF is offline Find More Posts by GTAEF
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I generally fly my planes with two different props, depending on whether it's windy or calm.

On windy days, I drop the diameter by one inch, and increase the pitch by one inch.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:13 PM
Registered Noob
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2011
300 Posts
NFZ, that's exactly what I was thinking, except for increasing the pitch. I will try the next windy day

Tommy, I'll be bringing all my 10x props, including 10x8 to the field. I'm going to put in the G10 next week

thanks for the replies all, great info!