HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:02 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post

It appears that most everyone has setup the nose with the air intake below the spinner. Other than personal choice, possibly ascetics, is there a reason why the air intake could not be on top instead ????
On the BOT it's more to do with the nose shape than anything. Motor placement with the spinner kinda naturally lie where they wind up. When the nose is lopped off at the right place the whole thing looks right except for the looking space under the spinner.
In practical application you could do away with any air venting as motor runs are short. You could then cobble up a filler block and fair it in the nose to zip the hole completely.
E-sailplanes such as the Avia,Grafas,Pulsar,Supra-E and so on are supplied from the OEM with no air intakes for the same reason, you don't need them.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini update on Kennedy Longhorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:27 PM
the anthropocebo effect
Joined Jan 2007
3,463 Posts
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Last edited by kcaldwel; Jan 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:29 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Thanks for the responses.
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2011
266 Posts
I did the same - I wanted the folding prop to be able to fold back in any position so I lopped off the bottom and faired into a 40mm spinner - I needed to go back a little further to give the Hacker clearance.
NZ7C is offline Find More Posts by NZ7C
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:44 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
555 Posts
Noses

If you are not going to fair the whole thing in, I suggest you leave the cooling holes at the TOP. That way you will not scoop up debris on landing, which will not do the motor any good at all!

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:27 PM
windyhill
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Jan 2009
84 Posts
turbulator tape

I use medline, nurses clear plastic sergical tape. it is clear and you can strip it the length you want and it tears in a straight line. It also has dimples ontop and maby disturbes the air more than a flat piece of tape? and it also peels off without any problems if you want to reajust it.
desertdog1 is offline Find More Posts by desertdog1
Old May 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Nov 2001
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain View Post
I have flown BOTs since 1979. My first and second were built from the plan published in the January 1979 MA I believe. The model needs to fly at a reasonable speed. It is not a floater. If possible try to get a copy of the Jan 1979construction and flying article by Dave Thornberg, the designer, and read his method of finding the correct glide angle.
Dave refers to moving the CG back a little at a time and adding down elevator until the model 'gets on step' and the glide slope suddenly becomes more shallow.
Don't expect to find this point immediatly, it takes time, experience and practice.
When you are happy, then by all means try the famous 'dive test' per Brian Agnew. It works!

Iain
Do you have any more info on the article by Dave Thornberg? I have seached the MA archives and can't find it. Thanks
ebourlet is offline Find More Posts by ebourlet
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:22 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
i have a question on the Bird Of Time. I'm not a big Fan of the Rudder and Elevator only..i'm used to Ailerons...
i was considering getting the Tower Hobbies BOT 118" WS which is pretty big and for the price of $169 that's not bad...Any other shop selling a glider of 118" or more usually goes for way more that $300...but this Rudder & Elevator scares me...ok here's my questions and i hope someone can respond satisfactory..

1. Does this plane wobble slightly from side to side while flying? is that a characteristic of the Rudder and elevator?
2. Is it a night and day difference than a glider with Ailerons?
3. How precise is this glider in a smaller park for turning and landing in a smaller area..

those are just a few questions i have...for the money it's for sure a good deal and i will convert to electric, but i just dont know how much i'm going to like it being that it doesnt have Ailerons....

Thanks for your response..
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:27 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,303 Posts
I fly this glider FPV with an electric motor. My opinion is in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
i have a question on the Bird Of Time. I'm not a big Fan of the Rudder and Elevator only..i'm used to Ailerons...
i was considering getting the Tower Hobbies BOT 118" WS which is pretty big and for the price of $169 that's not bad...Any other shop selling a glider of 118" or more usually goes for way more that $300...but this Rudder & Elevator scares me...ok here's my questions and i hope someone can respond satisfactory..

1. Does this plane wobble slightly from side to side while flying? is that a characteristic of the Rudder and elevator?
There is no wobble with mine.
2. Is it a night and day difference than a glider with Ailerons?
Not to me. The dihedral wing works well with just a rudder.
3. How precise is this glider in a smaller park for turning and landing in a smaller area..
Its very floaty and I installed spoilers to better control the landing spot.

those are just a few questions i have...for the money it's for sure a good deal and i will convert to electric, but i just dont know how much i'm going to like it being that it doesnt have Ailerons....

Thanks for your response..
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans