SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,076 Posts
Discussion
How to improve video signal in my setup?

I installed a 1.3ghz 300mw vTx and RX I got from RMRC a few days ago. I was switching over from a 5.8ghz 200mw system because I wanted to improve video signal and penetration since I fly in a city a lot (San Francisco).

Everything is connected fine and I was able to fly using the system very well at a park around here. However, it seems that the video starts to cut in and out at a very short range (maybe 300 feet away). It doesn't cut out completely but definitely starts to get very noisy.

My question is are there any tips on how to setup the system for best performance:

1. is there a best angle for the stock antenna on the receiver? (I haven't tried the 31dbi patch antenna I received as well)
2. is it best to point the transmitter antenna up or down (I'm flying a quad)
3. should I purchase a low pass filter since I'm using a 2.4ghz RC link (Spektrum)
4. would a 3dbi antenna on the transmitter side help improve the system.

Thanks!
BayAreaCrasher is offline Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:58 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,507 Posts
mount your video rx and antenna on your head, so you can get the best video reception possable

this will also teach yourself about the differences in how important it is to aim or position your antenna for best video

you can turn your atnenna for the video rx by hand or with a tracker but is for sure not as good as when mounted on the head

you will see more and more people doing this as others find this to be the simplest and best way to fly fpv

don't use diversity ot mechanical trackers, do it manually, it for sure works the best

as you gain ezperience work you way up to a higher gain video rx antenna that is dirrectional

as well as work your way up to a 6mm lense for the camera
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:37 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderLustMan View Post
I installed a 1.3ghz 300mw vTx and RX I got from RMRC a few days ago. I was switching over from a 5.8ghz 200mw system because I wanted to improve video signal and penetration since I fly in a city a lot (San Francisco).

Everything is connected fine and I was able to fly using the system very well at a park around here. However, it seems that the video starts to cut in and out at a very short range (maybe 300 feet away). It doesn't cut out completely but definitely starts to get very noisy.

My question is are there any tips on how to setup the system for best performance:

1. is there a best angle for the stock antenna on the receiver? (I haven't tried the 31dbi patch antenna I received as well)
2. is it best to point the transmitter antenna up or down (I'm flying a quad)
3. should I purchase a low pass filter since I'm using a 2.4ghz RC link (Spektrum)
4. would a 3dbi antenna on the transmitter side help improve the system.

Thanks!
Hi, a few points I'd like to add...

1) Flying a Quad, for the most part its going to be hovering horizontally, therefore ideally mount the Video Tx antenna pointing vertically (either directly to the sky/ground). Plus, on the ground, have your Video Rx (antenna) also vertical.

Note though, if you fly directly overhead, your vertical antenna on the ground is effectively then pointing straight at the model, which will be the worst for reception. Ideally both should be parallel to each other for best reception.

2) See answer above. Point 1. Best keep your Antennas vertical.
(both on the model, plus on the ground).

3) The filter on the video Tx, helps reduce spurious rf, effectively cleaning up the video signal. All it is doing to helping prevent excess "noise", so if anything, its going to be helping your R/C link (with less interference).

4) Sticking with stock gear, I'd recommend a higher gain OMNI-Directional antenna on your Video Receiver. Stick with Omni for now, as it will give you 360 degree coverage (think of a donut shape around it). Which might be more useful flying Copter type models.

Go with a patch only if you are flying in one direction, making it easier to 'aim'. Dont know about you, but flying my Copters, they need constant adjustments on the cyclic stick etc, to stop them flying off (if theres any wind etc) so I wouldnt want to risk taking my hand off the transmitter to play with a Patch antenna nearby (as before I know it, the Copter might have nose dived into the ground).

Final consideration. Have you tried flying at a different flying site, with your current setup? Was your video any better? Could be where you fly now, theres something else nearby (for example an antenna mast / or other RF noisy site) that might be affecting your video reception.
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Last edited by SkyEyes; Oct 18, 2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:04 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
You might also want to take a look in this thread...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

LONG range flying with 5.8ghz 200mw video gear.
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,076 Posts
SkyEyes, thanks for the brilliant info. I went ahead and purchased a SPW and Cloverleaf combo given all the info I've read in the last few hours. Going to see if I can return my patch antenna to Tim.
BayAreaCrasher is offline Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher