HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:17 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
I installed the pull-pull cables last night. It took about 1 hour to hook up the elevators and rudder, but I have to say it wasn't has daunting or complicated as I envisioned it would be.
I doubled looped the cables on control surface linkages like Joe had recommended, but I couldn't double loop at the servo end because the cables weren't long enough to do so. I did make usre I crimped them well and did a pull test to make sure nothing would loosen off.
Other than hooking up pull-pull cables on my Tyhpoon's tailwheel to the rudder, this is my first real test at installing them on actual control surfaces and I am impressed how smooth they work.

Cheers,
Peter
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:36 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention about the pull-pull cables is the manufacturer only supplied the bare minimum regarding wire and crimps.
The wires are already cut to length with very little/no extra left for errors if you have to cut; that's why I couldn't double loop at the servos. And there are no extra crimps in case you break one or make a mistake.
This is definitely a "measure twice cut once" operation.
Well, one thing is for sure, if the plane doesn't fly, it will certainly make a nice six string guitar! They make a nice twang when you pluck them.

Cheers,
Peter
Last edited by Orvis; Oct 26, 2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:58 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Peter,

Too bad they don't give you extra bits. I get cable, crimps and stuff at any good fishing store or LHS.

I hate to be a nervous Nelly but when I loop my cable back through the crimp I pull it tight so that there is no slack. I like to think if the cable ever slipped it would be self locking long enough for me to notice something was wrong.

With slack in the loop its would take much more slippage to have the second loop help you.

Maybe I missed it, what do you project your AUW will be? I'm really looking forward to seeing your RE2005 in the air.

Joe
Joespeeder is online now Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:55 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hey Peter,

Too bad they don't give you extra bits. I get cable, crimps and stuff at any good fishing store or LHS.

I hate to be a nervous Nelly but when I loop my cable back through the crimp I pull it tight so that there is no slack. I like to think if the cable ever slipped it would be self locking long enough for me to notice something was wrong.

With slack in the loop its would take much more slippage to have the second loop help you.

Maybe I missed it, what do you project your AUW will be? I'm really looking forward to seeing your RE2005 in the air.

Joe
The plan was to have the 2nd loop tight, but a couple pulled out slack has I was crimping the wires. You almost need a third hand keeping the wires taunt, pulling the loops taunt, and crimping them.

Right now the plane weighs 6.6lbs. That's without the motor, motor mount, ESC, batteries, and prop which have not been installed yet. On their own, they weigh around 4.4lbs, so, 11lbs should be the AUW which is only a pound over the manufacturer's estimated flying weight.

Cheers,
Peter
Last edited by Orvis; Oct 26, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
78 Posts
Ciao Peter,come procedono i lavori?sono curioso.
Ciao Massimo
max fox is offline Find More Posts by max fox
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:31 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Ciao Max,
Ho costruito tutto tranne che per l'installazione del motore. Sono in attesa di un nuovo motore "X" montare ad arrivare e poi finalmente posso finire il modello.

Ciao
Peter
Last edited by Orvis; Oct 31, 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:50 AM
Joined Sep 2011
78 Posts
bello!!!sembra già che stia volando
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
78 Posts
ciao Peter,non hai spiegato come hai risolto il problema scocca (o cofano motore )in fibra.
ciao Massimo
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:36 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Ciao Max,
Sì l'ho fatto spiegare. In un precedente post ho citato si dovrà lasciare uno spazio sia alla parte inferiore della fusoliera o, nel mio caso, premere il cappuccio sopra la fusoliera fino a quando non stringe.
Stavo parlando dello Stelvio a Piccoli Ali e ha ricordato che il produttore sarà risoluzione di questo problema nel successivo gruppo in corso.

Ciao Peter
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:43 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
While I'm waiting for my motor mount to arrive, decided to work on the radiator intake. The intake itself is made of balsa and ply with formers inside. The front and rear of the intake are solid so you can either paint them black to mimic the openings or cut them out which I have done.
Once I cut out the front and the rear of the rad intake to the shape desired, I removed the former running the length of the rad intake and repositioned it off center same as the real 2005. The former running the width of the rad was left in place and mesh screen was glued to it and painted black. The interior of the intake was then painted medium sea gray which matches the gray on the model.
Nothing fancy, but it looks good and more scale like.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
78 Posts
Ottimo lavoro Peter,è un bel vedere.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:52 PM
Italia, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Hi everybody, You are nealy to finish the model. good job. Look this build-log of a RE2005

http://www.rcaeromodellismo.it/main/...05-sagittario/
MARTE is offline Find More Posts by MARTE
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:20 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
I added some color to the spinner and cowl today. The exhausts were painted olive same as the fuselage so I painted them matte black and added in some rust and graphite for weathering. I painted the spinner half white/half olive as per the photos of the real 2005.
I also cut out the air intake in the cowl. Not only does it look better but it also allows air flow into the fuselage for cooling.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:05 AM
Joined Sep 2011
78 Posts
Ciao Peter,stai dando un tocco di realismo al Reggiane,visto che sei in ballo,perchè non costruisci i cannoni alari,due piccole mitragliatrici nel cofano motore e in fine fora la punta dell ogiva per il terzo cannone.
Ciao Massimo.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
78 Posts
Ancora una cosa Peter,ho visto che hai già posizionato i fasci(coccarde) sulle ali,non c'erano anche per la parte inferiore delle ali nella confezione?

Scusa Peter,volevo eliminare questo post,ma non riesco,sono andato a vedere il tuo primo post è ho visto che nella confezione vi sono 4 fasci.
quindi....
Last edited by max fox; Nov 06, 2011 at 01:29 AM.