Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,226 Posts
Build Log
helios build thread

hi,

i started this new thread with building instructions for the helios .
it will be a detailed build log with plenty of pictures.

if someone has a suggestion how to do things diffrently , your'e more then welcome to point them out in this thread .

most of these instructions can be be used to build other dlg's as well, take care on what CA you use tough cause the helios is build with ca resistant foam(rohacell) .

enjoy!

-kristof-
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
Last edited by krikkens; May 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:52 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,328 Posts
Sweet! Love the green stripes
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Very cool idea with the push rods going through the carbon tube. I also like the idea of putting the rods in and then gluing the horns into the wing. Getting the rods to just the right length is what keeps me using RDS.

luaP
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:06 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
Very cool idea with the push rods going through the carbon tube. I also like the idea of putting the rods in and then gluing the horns into the wing. Getting the rods to just the right length is what keeps me using RDS.

luaP
paul,

the hole in the servohorn is 0.8mm and a steel wire this diameter is easy to bend , to have a good stiffness i need the cf tube ..

overall it's a very lightweight connection.

-kristof-
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:27 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
Superb looking set of wings Kristof!
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:48 AM
Emmen, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2008
305 Posts
Kristof,

maybe it's easyer to put the whole building manual into a PDF and just post it on the Helios thread? keep up the good work!
robert14 is offline Find More Posts by robert14
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:14 AM
Joined Nov 2008
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert14 View Post
Kristof,

maybe it's easyer to put the whole building manual into a PDF and just post it on the Helios thread? keep up the good work!
+1

Olivier
leroyo is offline Find More Posts by leroyo
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:24 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,411 Posts
Do you have exact dimensions for where the servos hole cutouts are located? If using a pre-bent pushrod I would think this is critical. Or are these marked out on production wings but just not on the wing shown for build?
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Do you have exact dimensions for where the servos hole cutouts are located? If using a pre-bent pushrod I would think this is critical. Or are these marked out on production wings but just not on the wing shown for build?
sam,

i have a template for marking the wing's , i use the front wingbolt holes to position the template.

there's a plywood connector from upper to lower spar on the mid section of the wing , the servo's are glued to it for zero movent.

there's also another piece of plywood 37mm after the spar , the servos are glued to both of them , so it leaves 5mm of gap to fill up with epoxy , it leaves room to move the servo's in the excact position(bended pushrod dead-on the hingeline)

i mark it on paper tape as you can see on the pictures..., the only thing i forgot to mark on the above picture is the location of the hole where the servowires come out of the wing , this is also critical cause they need to be away from the ballast tube when mounted on the fuselage...

-kristof-
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:53 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,411 Posts
Kristof,

Do you perform the masking tape markings prior to shipping a wing to a customer? Otherwise they might need servo location information in another format (speaking as a likely customer).
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Kristof,

Do you perform the masking tape markings prior to shipping a wing to a customer? Otherwise they might need servo location information in another format (speaking as a likely customer).
sam,

i mark the locations myself , aswell as the throw peg location(next "chapter" in this build thread)
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:03 AM
PWR
Denmark
Joined Oct 2006
97 Posts
Hi Kristof

Really beautiful wings, especially the green one with stripes, is it on its way to U.S. or DK?

Not that it is current now, but can you describe how you would change a servo. (God forbid that it should happen).

Once you have glued the aileron horn, can you get the pushrod out, or how would you do it?

Palle
PWR is offline Find More Posts by PWR
Last edited by PWR; Oct 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWR View Post
Hi Kristof

Really beautiful wings, especially the green one with stripes, is it on its way to U.S. or DK?

Not that it is current now, but can you describe how you would change a servo. (God forbid that it should happen).

Once you have glued the aileron horn, can you get the pushrod out, or how would you do it?

Palle
palle ,

i hope this info will be useless too but here you go:

the servo is wrapped in shrink tube , if you cut open the shrinktube the servo can come out.

now you can flip over the servo 180 and it's out of the wing but still connected on the pushrod (make sure the servowire can follow as you do this)

now you can just simply screw off the horn and replace the servo...

a bit of glue and close the wing up again.

it's really simple

-kristof-
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:51 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,226 Posts
throw blade installation

this where i do things diffrently from other's i guess, because the wingtip is so thin the blade needs to be installed rock solid.

epoxy isn't the best thing to use cause it doesn't get in the rohacell very well, thin CA is a much better choise IMO.

it's important to have the foam around the blade to be very hard or to be replaced with something hard in order to prevent skin buckling on not so smooth launches.

-kristof-
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:10 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,328 Posts
My blades in my Helios are installed in a similar fashion, but I used epoxy. I took mine and made a tight hole for the blade as you did, then I took a peice of thick music wire and bent a L at the end. I heat the bottom of the L bend with a lighter, put it in the slot where the blade is going to go, and melt the foam out around the blade. It takes a couple of swipes and reheating the wire to get it all, but when you're done, you end up with about a nickel sized (~10mm diameter) void under the skin around the blade. I then put tape over the hole at the bottom, take a small syringe with some thin epoxy mixed with microballoons and some sanded carbon dust and fill the void, and then push the blade through the slot and through the tape at the bottom. Pull the tape off, wipe the excess epoxy off, let it dry! I think thats a pretty common way of mounting blades, at least in builds I've seen. So far mine have held great, but I'm also paranoid so I added a small circle patch (~10mm again) around the blade on the top and bottom because these wingtips are tthhhhiiiiiiinnnnnnn!! Gotta love those knife-blade wings! More details and pictures here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=165

The way you have done it most likely lighter!
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG