HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:29 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Question
WOTG: Gas cooktops? Need some feedback from owners.

The problem with the big boxes is they have no people qualifed to answer questions other than "What colors are available?".

I'm looking to replace an electric 30" stovetop with a 30 or 36" natural gas cooktop. I see many offer "power burners" and wonder is 20K BTU really needed? Burner BTUs commonly range from 5000 to 9100 to beyond.

I sure do need some advice.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:35 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
One big burner is a nice feature. Get the corn water boiling... cooking in a big wok.

36" wide is better , there is never enough room on a stove top.

Gas cooks best!
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
United States, CA, Compton
Joined Oct 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljimb0 View Post
One big burner is a nice feature. Get the corn water boiling... cooking in a big wok.

36" wide is better , there is never enough room on a stove top.

Gas cooks best!
Agreed. One real big one is a nice thing. If you like to use a Wok, consider the commercial wok burners are about double the highest BTU rating you mentioned. A wok has to be really hot to reduce liquids and stir fry several portions. You don't use it often but it's nice to have when you need it.
CrotchRocketeer is offline Find More Posts by CrotchRocketeer
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:56 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
After the meter gets set, the propane tank is gone. We found a nice GE 5 burner that is made in GA.

The wife sent an email to GE asking the county of origin and she said they replied back that it was made in Georgia. I can find no mention of such a thing on a quick google....Hmmm.
Last edited by 56S; Oct 17, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:58 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrotchRocketeer View Post
Agreed. One real big one is a nice thing. If you like to use a Wok, consider the commercial wok burners are about double the highest BTU rating you mentioned. A wok has to be really hot to reduce liquids and stir fry several portions. You don't use it often but it's nice to have when you need it.
Yes, a Wok is one of the reasons we are switching to NG for cooking. Are you two thinking that the 20,000 BTU may really come in handy other than heating the house?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Yes, a Wok is one of the reasons we are switching to NG for cooking. Are you two thinking that the 20,000 BTU may really come in handy other than heating the house?
When use a wok on mine, I only run it full blast for a minute or two at a time. Not only does it put out heat it's noisy as well! I just use it to overcome something cold taking the heat out of the wok. The faster you can do that, the less oil is absorbed, the faster you can boil or reduce liquids and, of course, how fast you can cook. It's also very hard to properly stir fry rice unless it's gets hot fast.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
6 Posts
Another concern is consumption. The big burners can burn a lot of gas but even as much as I wok cook, I have to believe all the slow cooking that's done uses more gas overall.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:46 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
If I may ask, what cooktop do you have or if known, the BTU of your favored wok burner.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:57 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
10,000 BTU/hour = 4 horsepower (approximately)

I call this baby the 'Al Gore'
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:19 PM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
We are never going back to electric. Gas is "on" instantly, and off just as fast. No waiting around. And here in Colorado, propane is cheaper too.
While not quite on topic. We fill our 250 gal tank just once per year. That heats all our hot water, cooks our food, and dries our clothes for an entire year.
Jake
Sonsight is offline Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
If I may ask, what cooktop do you have or if known, the BTU of your favored wok burner.
Mine is made from an old Vulcan stove with 2 upgraded burners and valves. It sits in a custom enclosure. I'm not exactly sure of the Btu rating on my big burner but I will find out. It roars!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
6 Posts
Quote:

Jimbo, are those hors de hourves?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:11 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Your doing a good job of keeping your consumption down Jake.

Quote:
The problem with the big boxes is they have no people qualifed to answer questions other than "What colors are available?".

I'm looking to replace an electric 30" stovetop with a 30 or 36" natural gas cooktop. I see many offer "power burners" and wonder is 20K BTU really needed? Burner BTUs commonly range from 5000 to 9100 to beyond.

I sure do need some advice.
Not all your burners will be power burners.
If you keep your power burner turned up you'll burn everything. When you turn it down the BTU output will go down. You won't be wasting energy just because it's a big burner. You will however be glad you have a large burner when you need it though.

If it has the triple crown burner they light separately so you get high power, or simmer. Or whatever you need in between.

Generally the better quality cooktop, the better burn you get. Since I do Propane service (still gas) I check a lot of different ranges and cooktops. Among my favorites are the Thermador and Frigidaire. You won't find them at the big box store though. The GE does have one with the wok holder simply by flipping the grate over. Cool feature.

Keep your oven electric! That's one appliance I look real close at for CO output. Most ovens even if they look like they're burning right have high CO output and need adjustments to get them in specs. Any lurkers with gas ovens- RUN YOUR VENT HOOD WHILE THE OVEN IS ON! - Cooktops, generally have really well tuned flames with low CO numbers and it's not a problem. With quality units the numbers are close to zero. You can even find dual fuel ranges with gas surface burners and an electric oven.

Hope this helps.
Dave.

Triple crown burner.
Mig Man is offline Find More Posts by Mig Man
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:11 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,566 Posts
Quote:

Holy smokes, that looks good!

To the OP and thread title.... what does WOTG mean? Been scratchin my bald melon, and can't figgur it out!
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:22 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
Holy smokes, that looks good!
Looks good until you can't clap your hands together.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē