HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:58 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Tried it and switched back before too long. Fixed width is a giant step backwards. Layout is clean...almost too clean; harder to read in all screens except for actual thread. I'm all for change, but a change for the sake of change, really isn't a change. Just window dressing.

If you must tinker, how about a mobile theme that automatically senses your on a mobile device, and adapts accordingly.

If for some odd reason you decide this is the way to go, at least leave the old (current) theme as an option.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
> Layout is fixed to be 1000 pixels wide

No.
Now stuff has horizontal scrollbar, DO NOT WANT. Back to fluid layout please. Not everyone wants to dedicate 100% of a screen to a browser, mine are running at around ~1000x800 window. And no, I'm not hurting for pixel space, 2x 2048x1152 + 1x 3840x2400. I just don't need RCG window taking up more space than that.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:29 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
867 Posts
Love the concept, but it defiantly doesn't have its wings yet. Of course I'm guessing you've figured out you need to get rid of the gray sides. Also When I go to a page like Electric Planes its a little too clean I can't differentiate between hot threads and categories I shouldn't have to visualize the old version. Just need to dot the i(Get the resolution right) and cross the t's (put some lines/spacers in). I'm interested to dig deeper into the beta version and give you some more feedback.

P.S. Adding more smilies is always safe i want to smile in a hundred different heads
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:29 PM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrugen View Post
I agree!! Why Why do the computer geeks always have to mess.
As one lending towards the geek side I can't help but smile.
Oh congratulations on your even 256 post count anniversary!
FpvKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FpvKiwi
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:32 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,209 Posts
Only looked at beta for a few seconds but I totally agree that fixed width is a big step in the WRONG direction. Also, the contrast was much worse and made it harder to read IMO.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:05 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
I am wondering if they have gone to a fixed with in order to more easily skin the left and right margins for advertising. The site I work for does this.

I'd agree that, otherwise, it doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense, functionally.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:23 PM
Blade BL, 450 DFC, TSA 600EPro
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
500 Posts
This forum site is by far my favorite forum site for functionality i.e. hyperlink to video instantly and accessibility among other things. Please don't change those thiings. I will check out the new beta style soon... just had top chime in about the things I already love about this website forum. Terry, thanks for the opportunity for this feedback thread.
helinewbie617 is offline Find More Posts by helinewbie617
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:32 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Instead of a fixed width, I think it should be more of a percentage width, like only filling 98% of the screen size, rather than just 1000 pixels. On most common (smallish) monitors thats an annoying ~20% unused
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:06 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
why doesnt it fit in the window? there is gray space on the side
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2004
565 Posts
Don't like it at all.......
Sit-N-Fly is offline Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:27 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Fixed Width.... Not soo much.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:27 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
I am wondering if they have gone to a fixed with in order to more easily skin the left and right margins for advertising. The site I work for does this.

I'd agree that, otherwise, it doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense, functionally.
This was my thought as well.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:29 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Looks nice, but the fixed width makes the Ezone articles look terrible if the article's contents are a little too wide.

Take Jon's awesome Pilatus Porter Review for example...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1490277

Fixed width...toss it out with the trash!
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:32 PM
The Last Question
United States, UT, West Valley City
Joined Oct 2006
549 Posts
Arggh! I knew I shouldn't have changed anything. Now I'm stuck in mobile view and it sucks! There is no longer an option in "my RcGroups" to get to settings and change it back (even if I click Full Version at the bottom). If someone could PM me with any help that would be great.
Entropy76 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy76
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:45 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
Don't like it, harder to read, fixed width is idiotic with forums with pictures and how to stuff. This would be a huge step backwards in usability. Why do you think people buy large monitors, to have gobs of useless space and micro display in the middle? If this is the future then keep it!
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Oct 17, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Closed Thread