HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:58 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
GWS Tiger Moth - A Newbies Story Part 4!!!!

Hey all, gotta be a record in here somewhere!

Part One: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=114411

Part Two: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=140767

Part Three: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:11 AM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
I think there is a part 5 in one of the club threads. This has got to be longest Tiger Moth thread, and will possibly end up being the longest thread at this rate

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:11 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Did someone say the GWS Tiger Moth does not need it's own catagory?

Holy beans.... Great thread! Does it get its own search engine yet?

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:13 AM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Poor noobs just starting part one A search within thread option would be neat, wink wink. I think I will put that in the site suggestion forum.

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:14 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
woot. part 4 already... =)

Basket, I think I should have roughly about 5 hours on my motor. And I have been running those 8.4v nimh batteries since day 1 so would you think that would be about right to start seeing the degredation of the motor so soon? I know after about my 5th day out, I thought I could tell a difference in the motor then. It always runs really hot (i dont even have the cowl on the thing) to the touch after a 15 minute flight. I noticed today that After a 20 minute flight and switching batteries and flying another 5-7 minutes then putting my other battery back in for another couple of minutes, checking the motor each time it was barely even warm. Nothing like it used to run, so that was what I was assuming was that I have started burning it out. I was hoping for a little more life then that out of this motor though

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:53 AM
Go for it
Hässelby, Sweden
Joined Jun 2003
401 Posts
Hi

Here's a good page on most of the principles of flight.

http://www.av8n.com/how/

/Terje
teli88 is offline Find More Posts by teli88
Old Sep 20, 2003, 01:38 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHH.... Your driving me crazy The Enemy Part 4? Already!!!?? I wonder how many post you'll get once you start building your new plane........

Anyways, you will always get my support. For you have proven yourself to be a thread maker

Keep it up bro

-Antonio
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Sep 20, 2003, 01:43 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
I think, what's pumping this thread is, that people are attracted to this thread, because there's nobody messing it up or arguing. I like it, and I've read all it's previous threads. Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

It's really nice to see good threads such as this
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Sep 20, 2003, 06:13 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Doomsday, 5 hours is not normally enough to wear one out, though I have had a couple last less time than that. There is not very much consistancy between them.

I'd say try a new motor and see if it fixes it. Also it shouldn't really get that hot from just 7 cells, as long as your using a 9x7" prop. You might want to check for binding in the gearbox, sometimes the black spur gear gets pushed back and causes friction on the front of the gearbox.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 20, 2003, 06:24 AM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Ok, I'm going to admit something to you guys.

I've been flying the TM with a 2s1p pack, yes I know ....evillllll . What's worse though, I've flown it also with a 10x8 prop, and yesssssssssssss, I have gone through one motor.

Now, I finally got a couple more of those 9x7 props in, since the one that came stock, was already warped at the outside near the hub. Man, are they weak, but these new ones I just got in, are fine.

Plane flies almost exactly the same, as with the 10x8 prop, but the motor is still smoking hot on that 2s1p pack. I really love the slowflight characteristics, so do not want to goto anything faster or higher.

Yes yes, bad me, but y'know, I like that 2s pack.......it works goooood..........

Ummm...anyone wanna a loan me a 1s pack...700 mah???

Geof.
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:59 AM
The devils playground
Island of Tasmania
Joined Apr 2003
799 Posts
Well here you all are .. Morb.. ? 2s1p.. you bad bad boy ! I'm testing the 10x8 prop too, but only on 7.4v. The only problem Ive had with the single ips is it has a sort of vibration in the gear box that slows the prop down. here seesm to be too much end float in the prop shaft itself, it nearly slides the big black gear off the small brass one on the motor.

DD , I recon you need some lipols or liions and drop the voltage a bit, 5 hours is not very long for a motor to last.. something must be wrong i recon.

the next lot of storms hit later today so I'm grounded for a while, heres the last pic of the moth scurrying back home away from the aproaching storm

Taz
Tasmania is offline Find More Posts by Tasmania
Old Sep 20, 2003, 08:17 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Wait, wait, I'm confused again. Maybe I'm mis-understanding you.

Do you mean a 3S pack? There is nothing wrong with a 2S1P pack for the 'moth, that's what is needed. Kokam 1020 and 640's and Etec 700's. A 1S1P would only give you 3.7 volts, not nearly enough to get off the ground.

I would expect the 10x8" prop to overheat the motor, it does on mine too. IMHO the 9x7 is best for outdoors and the 10x4.7 for indoors.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 20, 2003, 08:26 AM
The devils playground
Island of Tasmania
Joined Apr 2003
799 Posts
BC I dont want to complain at all, but I was just wondering why everyones motor seems to get hot but mine doesnt at all ? I'm feeling left out . I even have heatsinks on the dual ips now, but after 30 mins of flying they aren't even warm, both on the dual and single ips.. I'd like a hot motor like everyone else has, then I can worry about cooling and stuff.. it is fairly cold here as it is still winter and ambient temp would be about 2c in the morning when i get chance to fly the TM, maybe in the summer heat will be a problem.

also, when i had the single ips i could do 6 consecutive loops after gaining height slowly, but with the dual ips, even though i can gain height quicker, I can only pull 2 loops before it starts dropping a wing half way through, sort of not quite making it. is this to do with the extra weight of the dual ips or the fact that the CG is now slightly further forward with the dual?
thanks

Taz
Tasmania is offline Find More Posts by Tasmania
Old Sep 20, 2003, 08:31 AM
No parachute? Wow!
Sweden, Umea
Joined Jul 2001
79 Posts
I'm on my third motor, I was about to switch it since I thought it had started to slow down but then started to think about cleaning it up instead. So I filled the engine with some CRC 5-56 and runned it.. Some black stuff dripped out of it, put it back in the TM, runned fine!.. Have flied it 2-3 times, seems ok. Not sure how long it will last though.
AndersO is offline Find More Posts by AndersO
Old Sep 20, 2003, 08:49 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Tampa, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Long live this thread!!!!

My first stock IPS with heatsink lasted exactly 370 minutes; thats 6.16666666666666 hours. I ran nothing but the stock 9070 on Sony 18650 Li-ion 1s1p packs.

On my new stock IPS I am currently experimenting with prop combinations and making performance observations as well as temperature readings with a thermistor equipped multimeter.

I will be posting these sometime today. One very important observation I can share immediately is that the ambient temperature plays a major role in motor cooling and may impact motor life more that we notice. This is not an issue in cooler climes but those of us in Florida or the southern west coast for example probably run hotter motors. I mention this because we are sharing experiences as one group and it is easy to forget that we live in different regions of the world so all is not the same in our flying environment.

Luis~
dulcelife is offline Find More Posts by dulcelife
Closed Thread