SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:33 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
21 Posts
Discussion
Cutting Kevlar

Hi All

I was just wondering what folks out there use to cut kevlar? I've never worked with it before and don't seem to have anything in my shop that can give me clean edges on the 75gm cloth that I'm using for doublers.

Do I need a pair of those special serrated shears?

Cheers
Pete
dydx is offline Find More Posts by dydx
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:35 AM
Composites Kid
Lima, Peru
Joined Jul 2008
3,122 Posts
Give a good pair of Fiskars the Samotage treatment and youŽll be cutting golden fabric in no time!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657516
Alex.Schweig is offline Find More Posts by Alex.Schweig
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:58 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
21 Posts
Thanks Alex, Samotage, I'll give it a go
dydx is offline Find More Posts by dydx
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:16 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,794 Posts
I use some scissors from the Dollar Store. They are used for cutting leather, they look something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6JQX6XXTS1JVJ7

It's all in the angles of the blades, Phil Barnes has solved this inexpensively also:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795224

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:38 AM
Live and let Fly !
Mill Hill - London
Joined Aug 2009
107 Posts
+ One for the re edged scissors. I dont have a sander, i re edged mine on an off hand grinder.

LB
Lawrence B is offline Find More Posts by Lawrence B
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:24 AM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,321 Posts
the serrated scissors are great, but they done last long .. i tried to keep mine only for kevlar but when you see how great they cut everything else you just cant help yourself *shrug*

so now i grind an old pair and they work great again ...
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:57 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,443 Posts
grinder vs sander

i find that using a (stone) grinder only makes the edge dull and rounded. for a while, i could not figure out why this technique was not working. then, i tried using a sander and it worked really well.
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:41 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,884 Posts
Key IMHO is you don't really want a smooth edge. You want one with tooth so the fabric cannot try to slide down the blades. You also want a right angle edge on the blades because the action is not a cutting action but a shearing action.

Gerald

PS - By "tooth" I mean coarse sanded so the sanding striations are clearly visible. Smooth is no good.
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:50 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,514 Posts
Ditto what GT said. Think in terms of something like 60 grit.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:22 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
I purchased the fiskars with the serrated edge for Kevlar and I hate to say it but they do not cut light kevlar as easily as Phil's modified scissors do. Plus they are cheaper and when they do ot cut, a quick hit with sandpaper, file or grinder and they are as good as new. the serrated do cut the heavier stuff but then again so do Phil's.

Thanks Phil for disclosing this idea......
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:18 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
Little trick for cutting small parts:

Mark your shape on the Kevlar, apply some CA on the cutting line, leave to dry, then cut the Kevlar with normal scissors.

Only works if the Kevlar is applied on single curvature surfaces, since the fibers are stuck.
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:47 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
1,105 Posts
Contrary to what everyone uses, I have a very expensive (120eur) scissors that cuts everything, from 25g glass to 200g kevlar without any hassle.
I had a pair of modified scissors, but they needed re-sharpeneds every few cuts, I guess they were not heavy duty.
My expensive scissors only see dry fabrics; to cut wet fabrics, I have a pair of curved scissors that also are expensive (60eur) but they cut everything and are good for working with molds.
I have never regreted to buy the expensive tools, since cheaper one did not show reliable to me (they would get dull mostly when everything was in the mold and I really needed to cut the stupid kevlar).
chetosmachine is offline Find More Posts by chetosmachine
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:11 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
Probably Robusto Proton scissors?

http://www.robuso.com/shop/details2....000&CatID=1010
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:07 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Are both blades micro serrated or just one on your scissors?

Who sells the ones you suggest?

I am not sure how cost effective those are but I wonder if using a coarser file/sandpaper/grinder would yield longer lasting results?

I think it is the biting ability of the roughening up or the serrations that allows either set to work.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:49 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetosmachine View Post
Contrary to what everyone uses, I have a very expensive (120eur) scissors that cuts everything, from 25g glass to 200g kevlar without any hassle.
I had a pair of modified scissors, but they needed re-sharpeneds every few cuts, I guess they were not heavy duty.
My expensive scissors only see dry fabrics; to cut wet fabrics, I have a pair of curved scissors that also are expensive (60eur) but they cut everything and are good for working with molds.
I have never regreted to buy the expensive tools, since cheaper one did not show reliable to me (they would get dull mostly when everything was in the mold and I really needed to cut the stupid kevlar).
I agree. I've got a pair of ceramic edged scissors that have lasted 3 years without the need to be resharpened.

I also agree that the Fiskers serrated edge scissors are a total waste of money.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks