SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:02 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,788 Posts
Question
To extend speed control wires ? motor or battery side ?

Hi all , i have a plane that i need to extend the speed control wires on , is it better to extend the motor side (3 wires) or battery side (2 wires) And why its better ?
Note: plane has already been flown , i extended battery side (about a foot ), seams to work ok with the exception of the speed control getting pretty warm ,( 125 castle ), im going to a 200 amp hobby king "red brick " i used 10 ga wire and 6 mm bullets , depending which prop i use , im seeing between 90 and 135 amps , on 6s 6600(2x3300) 40c sky lipos ,big jet screamer edf motor , 650kv , pusher prop .
Any and all answers welcome ......note , prop on plane in pic isnt what im now using ....
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:43 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
Hi all , i have a plane that i need to extend the speed control wires on , is it better to extend the motor side (3 wires) or battery side (2 wires) And why its better ?
Note: plane has already been flown , i extended battery side (about a foot ), seams to work ok with the exception of the speed control getting pretty warm ,( 125 castle ), im going to a 200 amp hobby king "red brick " i used 10 ga wire and 6 mm bullets , depending which prop i use , im seeing between 90 and 135 amps , on 6s 6600(2x3300) 40c sky lipos ,big jet screamer edf motor , 650kv , pusher prop .
Any and all answers welcome ......note , prop on plane in pic isnt what im now using ....
Transient spikes go up considerably when you extend the batttery side cables. Life expectancy on the ESC drops quite a bit. There is substanial discussion on this if you do a search. You will want to start over and extend the motor leads. Make sure all motor leads are all the same total length.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Last edited by Rich in ILM; Oct 17, 2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:25 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,768 Posts
Extend motor cables good.
Extend battery cabels bad (by more than a few inches).

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952523 for detailed information on why...be prepared for A LOT of reading.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:18 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
...be prepared for A LOT of reading. Steve
I try to maintain the opening post as a compilation/digest.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor tips Drive Calculator
diy motor group Cumulus MFC
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:50 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,788 Posts
Thanks Guys ! When the wire gets here i will extend motor side . The only drawback will be , as it is now the speed control is mounted outside the plane to get max airflow , i will now have to mount inside , where ever i do end up mounting it i will put a air scoop to direct air directly over it .( i mold my own air scoops )

THANKS AGAIN !!! Dennis
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:05 PM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...-cap-pack.html

http://www.yge.de/artikel.php?search=ygecaps7

Use a CapPack and install on your ESC, then extent the battery wires you can keep that ESC in the nice airflow, and you won't make the motor work any harder.
Jocke is offline Find More Posts by Jocke