Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:37 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,953 Posts
Discussion
Comparing Flying Wings for FPV

My next FPV build will be a wing, but I'm not sure which one to go with. I want something that can hold some weight, and stay up for awhile. Something that can go fast and be a little aerobatic, but can also fly a little slower and glide a bit. I thought those with experience could share some of their knowledge, since I'm not the only one thinking about this. Here is what I have looked at so far. I'm not guaranteeing my information is 100% accurate. If I had all the answers and info I wouldn't be creating this discussion. Feel free to correct me on anything I got wrong here. If you think another wing should be included in here, please post the details:

Ritewing Zephyr - Probably regarded as the top or "Pro" wing for FPV. It's fast and durable, can hold some weight and capable of very precise and aerobatic maneuvers. I have heard of people putting 2x5A batteries on this wing for long flights. On the other hand it's one of the most expensive wings, not a good choice for beginner builders and they are not available in "combo" packages. (Though they can be custom ordered that way for additional cost. Chris will build you an ARF for about $1600, but I'm told it's worth every penny)

Maxi Swift - Seems to be regarded as a well designed wing. Also fairly fast and precise. Complete combo of all required parts available from their site. I have heard of people running 2x3300mAh batteries and a GoPro on this one, but don't know if it can hold much more weight than that. Also not sure how maneuverable it is at that weight. The total cost is less than the Zephyr, but still quite a bit higher than some other options. Appears a little easier to build than a Zephyr.

Grim Reaper from CrashTestHobbies.com - This wing seems fairly popular. Quite agile and fast. Plus people rave about the support from CrashTestHobbies. Lee seems to be very knowledgeable and respected. A combo kit is not available from the site. I'm not sure how much weight this guy can handle. After sourcing all required parts, plus shipping, The Reaper seems a little less expensive than the Maxi Swift. I don't know anything about the construction process, so I don't know how this one compares.

Zagi HP60 - Haven't heard a lot about this one, though there seem to be quite a few videos available on Youtube. Not sure how much weight it can hold, or how agile this wing is. However, the price is right at $150 + $12 shipping in the US for the full combo. It includes an interesting compartment concept in the design, and the build instructions, available online, are very clear and detailed, right down to how and where to place fiber tape. Seems ideal for beginners, but I don't know if it can hold enough for FPV. I have heard some people complain the stock motor is not enough for FPV gear.

Gentle Giant from CrashTestHobbies.com - Although I'm not considering this one personally, it's definitely worth mentioning in this discussion. I'm not interested in dual props, but others are. This one can definitely carry some extra weight. Test videos show it has high crash recoverability. As above, I hear support is great, and the ability to take off from the ground opens this wing up to pilots without the skill or ability to hand launch a wing. I wouldn't consider this wing for beginners. There is definitely a much more involved build process that requires a healthy committment of your time. Although it shouldn't be different than other wings after the initial build, you know the extra electronics and second prop and motor are going to require some extra maintenance, especially after crash recovery, but hopefully not a lot. The GG does cost more than many of the other wings, but I can't say it's more expensive, because you are buying a higher class of machine. You are getting more stuff for your money, not just more expensive stuff.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:16 AM
It's all up from here..
Prince Rupert, Canada
Joined Aug 2007
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
My next FPV build will be a wing, but I'm not sure which one to go with. [snip].
Tracks:

You might also consider the Super Alulah 2M by Robert Musters (BlueFalconHolland). Two meters, fiberglass-covered EPS foam wing, can carry 3-5000 mAh batteries along with the FPV gear. Sander Sassen is part of the development and he has traded in his Zephyr for the Alulah as far as I know. It has a pretty broad flight envelope and is very rigid and good for windy conditions (the reason I bought one). Not as flexible or forgiving as the Zephyr for resisting crash damage is probably the only drawback I have noted. As far as I know, Guizmo12 and I are the first in Canada to have them.

Check out the thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464792

And a picture:

Cuzn
CuznWeakEyes is offline Find More Posts by CuznWeakEyes
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Mar 2009
921 Posts
The queen bee is very good, a bit larger, depends on what you're looking for.
flipflap is offline Find More Posts by flipflap
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:53 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
I own 2 crash test hobby grim reapers. One that's been through hell and back and still flys (and is my FPV test bed) the second one I'm building up specifically for FPV. Those wings have my vote. Stupid strong.
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:07 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuznWeakEyes View Post
You might also consider the Super Alulah 2M by Robert Musters (BlueFalconHolland).
I read through the thread. The Supoer Alulah has a lot to offer, and appears to be an excellent ship. I didn't see the cost, but someone mentioned the $300 range. I personally have two concerns. The first is the front prop. My personal preference is for a pusher prop. The second concern is crash recovery. I'm planning to fly a little closer to the tree line. This quote from the thread sums it up:

"They're two entirely different planes. In a nutshell the Alulah 2.0 can do all the Zephyr does, but isn't nearly as robust. That's the big upside of the Zephyr, you can nose it in, put the batteries that ejected themselves back in, and launch it again (usually) without damage.

The Alulah 2.0, due to its glasscovered EPS wings and glass/epoxy canopy, is far more fragile, if you nose it in you'll likely be building a new plane. So if you are looking for a 'barreling through just about everything' type of plane then the Zephyr is for you. If you want a quiet, high performance plane with the agility of a FunJet, excellent speed range and thermalling capability the Alulah 2.0 is more suited for that."
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:16 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
The queen bee is very good, a bit larger, depends on what you're looking for.
Wow! That thing is a monster! 100 inches! I didn't really see much performance information, but it's about $220 for the body + shipping, so probably close to $400 ARF. It could certainly hold a ton of weight! Unfortunately, the size is a little impracticle for my purposes. I love the ad page for it at windrider.com.hk! "Can be motorized."

How else are you going to get this thing in the air?!? LOL

There next largest wing is 48". I wish it were just a little bigger, like 55-60"
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:17 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Pants View Post
I own 2 crash test hobby grim reapers. One that's been through hell and back and still flys (and is my FPV test bed) the second one I'm building up specifically for FPV. Those wings have my vote. Stupid strong.
How much weight will it hold? 2x3300mAh and a GoPro? How long does it stay up for?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
525 Posts
i was going to build this and just put a 800w motor on and see how fast it goes.

i need help on finding all the build materials to figure out the cost to build the plane tho.

this should fly at 70 oz.

http://www.mwcores.com/servlet/Detail?no=216
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
How much weight will it hold? 2x3300mAh and a GoPro? How long does it stay up for?
+ 1 on that
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:05 PM
Australia, QLD, Maleny
Joined Jul 2009
376 Posts
I've heard the Scout Bee is pretty good. Someone loaded it up with 10ah 3 cell and kept it up for well over an hour
hwat rc is offline Find More Posts by hwat rc
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:57 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
I finished my Zeph build in May. Pancaked it numerous times, even cartwheeled it once. The only thing I have ever fixed was broken props. The airframe has never seen a drop of glue since I finished the build.
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:07 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,581 Posts
You might check out the Foamaroo:

http://www.hangar18uav.com/foamaroo.html

I've got one and since the fuselage is just a hollow 3 1/2" tube with only a couple of wing spars going through it, it can handle a load.

Also check out the Osprey on the main page:

http://www.hangar18uav.com/

He only makes those on request but Jimmy posts on the site quite a bit and you can usually find him in the Foamaroo threads here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411963

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:26 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
i have owned all of them from best to wors
hercules
zephry
reaper
zagi 60
maxi swift

now they all work fine but depending on exacly what you want to do they work differend if you want the smothist video posible thats the herc than a heavy heavy zephyr here is a herc vid than zephr than reaper than maxi
The Lagoon Fpv Hercules (4 min 0 sec)

fpv up to 8000 feet, bird chasing (2 min 30 sec)

FPV Breaking Formations (3 min 41 sec)

Happy Easter, maxi swift fpv and Dragon Link (2 min 16 sec)
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:49 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,044 Posts
I love the Zagi HP60 because its a zillion times cheaper than the rest, and its still very good.
Can always go with the other wings later on.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Last edited by CrashMeUp; Oct 16, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
the reaper is by far the cheapest and is easier yo build than a zephyr by far
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2