HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1 Posts
Discussion
4.8v vs 6v for a receiver

Hi... First off, I tried searching as best as I could for an answer but couldn't find a discussion about this. Sorry up front if I'm creating a new thread on a topic that is already here.

I'm a newbie, planning on running 4x3004 servos through an R2006GS installed on a glow Nexstar. My radio is a 6J. I understand that a higher mAh NiMH will provide more "radio" time between charges but what I don't understand is the difference 4.8V vs 6V makes? Other than added weight, is there a big difference between 4 and 5 cell receiver packs? I've currently got a 4.8v/1500 mAh battery that I was planning on using, but I'm debating going with a 6v/2000 mAh as my primary battery and using the 4.8 as a spare. I see that most folks are running LiPO and LiFE batteries but the safety piece combined with the cost has me leaning toward NiMH especially as a newbie. Can anybody explain the differences and help out a new guy?
thanks!

-Dave
cessdave is offline Find More Posts by cessdave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:37 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,325 Posts
Servo has an electric motor.
More voltage > faster response and more power, as long as the servos/ESC are good for it.

As a newbie, probably you won't be able to tell any difference at all.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:07 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Nice to have a 5 cell battery in your plane should you drop a cell, still have 4 good cells. Also the servo speed and power are slightly enhanced. Go with the bigger battery for slightly increased flight times.

I have a 2700 mah nimh in my nexstar for all day long training sessions.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:09 PM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,227 Posts
Well it's probably not much of an issue with a Nexstar, but let me suggest that you just go with 6 volts to begin with?

It gives you more overhead to keep the new computerized rx's happy, they'll shut down if the voltage drops too low due to servo load and inadequate batteries or power system. So if you keep playing with models, you'll wind up on 6 volts anyway...

There's LOTS more about batteries, wiring and switches to learn down the road so I suggest you spend a bit of time on the forums reading about the various chemistries and the differences in capabilities and how they are handled.

Welcome to the forum...
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:10 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Quote:
Hi... First off, I tried searching as best as I could for an answer but couldn't find a discussion about this. Sorry up front if I'm creating a new thread on a topic that is already here.
Most likely you would have had better luck searching in the Radio Forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/

I know it is a Battery question but if one used the Batteries and Chargers Forum for all questions about RC devices which use a battery then that would be all applications.

This site has many Forums and even more Sub Forums and if one learns to post in the most appropiate one their results are often better.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM.