SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:59 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,804 Posts
Discussion
Club members, fish tugs, and still being amazed.

About a month ago our club secretary known locally as boater_dave had a twilight run at his house. A newer member had called me for info on building a fish tug (apparently I'm the resident expert). My brother Steve and I agreed to meet him at the run and shpw him Steve's FT Kaitlyn Andrea. We took the Midwest tug plans along for him as a guide to framing.

At Thursday's meeting he brought the finished model. Last Saturday he'd done a sea trial and found the motor was heating up. After consulting with a few others he found that when he soldered the oiler tube to the stuffing tube some solder had gotten down into the tube and caused friction on the shaft. He cleaned it out and problem solved.

What still amazes me about this hobby is here is a new guy. I don't know what hobbies he had before or what skills he has. I think he did an outstanding job. From the tone of his questions before beginning construction I was sure he was biting off a big chunk.

The fish tug he modeled still works out of Racine. He talked to the owner and got some photos and info. All told this project from inception to completion I'd guess at two months.

Look at the photos at decide for yourself if on any given day a participant in this hobby can't surprise you.

The Peggy S is the newest addition to the club's fish tug fleet. In the newsletter the aforementioned boater_dave said "The California clubs can have their Springers, we get our fish tugs." I still think the fish tugs are outnumbered by lobster boats.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:54 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,611 Posts
I think he did an awsome job, A+.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:23 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem View Post
boater_dave said "The California clubs can have their Springers, we get our fish tugs."
I really like the fish tug style boats. One of the Irregulars has a scratch built fish tug. Your new guy did a great job!

Let's see a fish tug push in a stalled boat.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:13 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,804 Posts
Can do. The fish tug is just an enclosed harbor tug. Would get to the derelict faster too since it doesn't plow like a blunt nose.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:30 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,040 Posts
Prinz, I have talked with John a lot lately, and although he is new to rc boats, he (and his brother) are well known wood carvers. And being retired, and single, allows him a bit more time in the shop than the rest of us.
As a side note, the owner of the real boat is retiring due to his health and has made John an offer for the model. John is figuring on building another for the guy.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:43 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Now just being a smart a**, has anyone ever built a fish/springer (like a fishtug but on a springer hull)? It would probably look like a cinder block on a raft... LOL
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:29 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,221 Posts
Very nice job!
Jerome Morris is online now Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:41 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,804 Posts
Boater_dave uses his PT to do rescues. I'm old school and still prefer snag & drag with my tugs.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:39 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem View Post
boater_dave said "The California clubs can have their Springers, we get our fish tugs."
I have a hull and some drawings just waiting their turn... There will be a SF bay area fish tug, someday!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:55 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,869 Posts
That floating X is a great idea.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:40 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,040 Posts
I made a few (that one and a smaller one) for our club from 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings and slid a swim noodle over the sections for floatation and protection. The cost is minimal. Make the opening relative to the boats' beam and they are quite easy to manipulate into position. I have even used my sailboat to capture the 'X', then a dead power boat. If you have a dedicated tug for rescue efforts you can always lash the 'X' in place.
And they make fun precision steering events. You can toss them out pretty far and then have someone go retrieve the retriever!

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old May 13, 2012, 12:35 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,869 Posts
I still works for posting.