to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:17 PM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,748 Posts
I am totally lazy-webbing this for you, its the first hit on google for SCAL2:

http://www.craftedge.com/purchase/cr...ase_scal3.html $60

Considering it supports US Cutter machines and imports SVG that might be a good alternative to the USCutter provided software offerings. I dont much care for the design capabilities in any of these packages, I just want a cutter driver that doesn't cost $500. Inkscape can emit the SVG files so there is no need for an expensive package unless you have a business.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Hey Thanks, I should have given yall more information, I need V2 because I have been told it works with the Cricut Expression. Racerxky, I'm kinda new to cutting Vinyl graphics normally outsource them, I've done alot of water slide stuff but they are really only good for small graphics. Thanks in advance for any advise you could help me with...Don.
Low Show is offline Find More Posts by Low Show
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:22 PM
Watts is where its at!
Joined Oct 2004
1,748 Posts
They dont list support for the Cricut machines and Makes The Cut dropped support for them also. You may want to go to the Cricut themselves and try their software: http://www.cricut.com/CDS/Explore.aspx

Loss of third party support is a bad sign for their product.

I just want to add that it is entirely possible that Cricut themselves have actively pursued removing support in third part packages. It might make sense given that their business model is focused on the sale of 'cartridges'. They may have intentionally rendered your cutter useless for general purpose cutting. Wouldn't be the first time a company has done something like that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by racerxky; Apr 06, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2006
270 Posts
I read where Circuit did just that: made sure their is no 3rd party support. as far as software. I read this on a 'sure cuts a lot" site. My view it make the Circuit not for me now.
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,505 Posts
SCAL released and now only sells version 3 which no longer supports the Cricut.

Only one reason I can think of for them to do that, and that reason axed the Cricut for me as well.
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:24 AM
Joined Dec 2004
16 Posts
You should look at the GCC Expert cutter. One of the best chinese cutters. For software Signblazer is available on USCutter site for free. There will not be any updates for it as the man that wrote it died several years back. The GCC Expert comes in several versions. My GCC cutter is 14 years old and still cutting. The Silhouette Cameo comes with a nice program. I also have the Silhouette SD and a KNK Groove. If you want to spend more money. The Graphtes Craft Robo Pro has servo motors instead of stepper motors. Larry
themartaman is offline Find More Posts by themartaman
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, NC, Denver
Joined Jul 2007
213 Posts
Larry (themartaman),
I looked at the GCC cutter and I am considering trying it. I need it mainly to do vinyl paint masks. Would you recommend it for that? I am looking at the expert 24 but it only has 250 g
of cutting force. I don't know, is that enough to cut vinyl paint masks? oh, and can it cut lettering accurately down to say, 1/4 inch?
Thanks for the help!
170flyer is offline Find More Posts by 170flyer
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:57 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 170flyer View Post
Larry (themartaman),
I looked at the GCC cutter and I am considering trying it. I need it mainly to do vinyl paint masks. Would you recommend it for that? I am looking at the expert 24 but it only has 250 g
of cutting force. I don't know, is that enough to cut vinyl paint masks? oh, and can it cut lettering accurately down to say, 1/4 inch?
Thanks for the help!
I have used shelf contact paper for masks and cut it with 50g force. I have also cut the BACKING as masks for situations that don't want the mask stuck to the painted surface. The US Cutter 35" machine will cut letters that small, the problem becomes "weeding" them without lifting the letters/dots of the "I"s
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:57 PM
Watts is where its at!
Joined Oct 2004
1,748 Posts
Cutting force generally isn't the issue for us. All cutters will cut vinyl, covering filmes take even less force/blade depth.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,505 Posts
I keep hearing people complain about the weeding step. I used a simple X-Acto knife and had very little trouble at all. Why is this considered such a hassle? It only took a few seconds.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:05 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall View Post
I keep hearing people complain about the weeding step. I used a simple X-Acto knife and had very little trouble at all. Why is this considered such a hassle? It only took a few seconds.
The inside of a 1/4" lower case E, A, P, D, B, R... etc. can be quite challenging, especially when you are doing a significant amount of it. Small pieces 1/32" or smaller can be difficult and inside pieces are the hardest to avoid scooting the letter itself slightly and screwing up the alignment
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,505 Posts
Hmmm, I don't think any of my letters were less than 3/4" high, so maybe I'll learn about this later?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:19 AM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
384 Posts
Hello all, just 'checking in'. I Google search led me to this thread, and I am very glad I found it, as it is the most useful info I have found yet about my quest for a vinyl cutter.

My search started when I decided I needed some graphic for a pair of warbirds: a Top Flite P-40 ARF and a Top Flite Corsair ARF. I was initially ready to 'contract them out', but then started looking into making my own.

My first thoughts were the "CriCut" series, but I quickly learned that one cannot create their own shapes/ designs and have the CriCut cut them out for you: ALL patterns are made from software 'cartridges' (simular to the old Atari and Commador games?), and while the patterns and designs can be manipulated to an extent: one cannot simply creat and image and/ or outline and expect the CriCut to work.

Which lead me to the Sillouette Cameo cutters, which supposedly sell for around $260 shipped, with software (and sometimes even a few accessories).

BUT, not entirely sold yet, decided do some research on it and found this thread: LOTS of good info here, THANKS to ALL who contributed.

One of the things that I read that the Cameo can do: one could print an image on your printer (after 'setting it up' with Cameo software), the printer would add 'registration' marks out side of the image, which the Cameo would later identify and be able to use to 'navigate' around the border of the image. In other words: the potential to make multi color nose art from a single sheet. Anyone try this yet?

The image below would be the first thing I would try: it is actually 'rudder art' for the P-40:
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Last edited by CorsairJock; Apr 28, 2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: adding image
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,505 Posts
I haven't tried that yet, but I am planning on building a Top Flite P-40 this Summer.

The Cameo is supposed to be able to do that, and it does everything else they claim.