HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:40 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
I'm with Jun, make a hatch. Sorry, the structural integrity is not really an issue. Look at the Helios method, lightweight, easy to install, easy to replace etc. Still, the servo pretty much must be glued to the wing, as my launches have gotten harder, it is clear that gluing to the hatch isn't the best solution. Maybe adding hard points to the wing for mounting servos? Of course the servo design needs to be modified by rotating the mounting tabs 90 degrees.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:50 PM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Hi, well one of my enemies are time, I need my Steig competitive for this weekend, so I decided to change the servo for a digital Hitec, the only one with the same thickness was the HS 5045, and one of the few I cant get quick in Chile.

I think the wing is well, I did my best :

due Hitec servo is faster I reduced speed of it with Auroras Speed function.

Tomorrow I need to do my first trainigs, let see how it works.

Good luck to them who bought the same wing, the servo worked good the first minutes, but after about 5 or 6 minutes of moving the stick the servo started to fail, and it was increasing, now if I put the servo in a channel it never stops to move..

It is very sad to have to do this, for me it was not a 1000 dollar model, I paid fedex, and Chilean custom for a lot of dolars more, therefore I understand Rainer, it is not easy trying to do something.

By the way the service of Stratair is very good, tomorrow I can say if the model is the same

regards

Mario
Maki is offline Find More Posts by Maki
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:10 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,290 Posts
Servos in the wing... You guys got what you asked for.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:13 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,290 Posts
Maybe you should have asked for Voltz wing max.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:54 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
Yeah Kenny we sure did! just not defective ones!
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:43 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,468 Posts
As a side note, I recall you should take care handling the Hyperions as they can damage if you squish' em!
KevinSharbonda is online now Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:13 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1900 Driver View Post
Yeah Kenny we sure did! just not defective ones!
Either way, you'd be changing them eventually... as the plane will last much longer than 2 or 3 sets of servos.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:11 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
I understand that eventually you'd be changing them, it would just be nice to fly the model for a while before having to cut into such a sweet wing!)

B
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:19 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Servos in the wing... You guys got what you asked for.
I'm looking to invest in my next DLG since I bought this used Taboo XL and found that I love DLG. I've only been considering DLG's that can accommodate all servos in the pod. I can't imagine cutting on a wing to do maintenance anyway. I'd screw it up.
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:48 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,800 Posts
Blaster 3
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:15 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1900 Driver View Post
I understand that eventually you'd be changing them, it would just be nice to fly the model for a while before having to cut into such a sweet wing!)

B
You can't see the repair at 50 feet anyway.

Should've ordered 2.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
Blaster 3

Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. I wish they had a disser version between the bagged and the spread tow.
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:53 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
I have a steig with servos in the fuse and once i get my new fresh wing im planning on cutting into the old wing(full carbon) installing top drive and cutting off the unreliable internal system. I've had my day cut short on a couple occasions due to the carbon rods pulling out of the shaft. (thats what she said!!) The previous owner had the same issues and had delamed the main and drag spars. Needless to say, I got a good deal!)

Brandon
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Aug 2007
30 Posts
Thank you for you comments, by the way, the Steig flow, and flow impresive good..

Now I can't get out of mi mind this fixed wing, and that any bad tendence is fault of the wing repair....so I'm thinking in my next DLG.

Due your experience, which schould be my next DLG after Steig?

any recomendation woud be very nice.

Thank you and regards,

Mario
Maki is offline Find More Posts by Maki
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:51 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
Im glad it flew well!!!you already have an awesome dlg, so topping it would be tough, you could get a stobel, or any of the top moulded planes out there. What I would do is get another dlg to compliment the steig, something for really light to moderate conditions! The steig is great for moderate to heavy! My light planes are a vandall that comes in at 9oz. and I just bought a used stobel v2 for the moderate conditions. Most importantly get out and have fun no matter what you get!

Cheers,
Brandon