SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
Ireland, Meath, Ashbourne
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Question
Skyartec 2.4 radios

The sites all say that the radios (the current version is the 706, but I've looked at the documentation on the Skyartec site, and they are basically the same for the older versions,) are 7 channel, and I've no reason to doubt that, BUT, the joysticks are 4 of them, and there are then 2 switches that I am aware of, one of which is "gear", which seems to be being used as a throttle lock switch, to prevent the motor running at inappropriate moment, which is fine, and then another channel is being used, (I think) for the limited/full range option for servo movement, but I don't know if that's a change to the transmitter profile, or if it sends the switch position to the receiver and changes something there.

By my reckoning, that's 5 channels and a local to the transmitter curve change, so where/how are Ch 6/7 activated/accessed/operated. I'd like to look at putting LED lights on a Ninja, and would be looking at a channel for that, among other possibilities, and a real gear channel would be nice as well.

Can the "gear" switch be used for gear, or is it locked to the throttle block function, and the same question effectively applies to the easy/hard mode switch.

Are there any connectors or options to enable the connection of other switches or variable pots to the at present apparently unavailable channels?

I like the look of the Ninja, it looks like a good machine, and as it can be got as a complete machine, that has to be worth considering. If some of what I'm looking at on the radio side is a problem, then I guess that the best option will be a Turnigy 9 channel from HK or similar, with the custom firmware on it, and getting the Ninja without the radio.

Another observation in passing on the receivers that might need to be addressed, in all the diagrams I've seen, there's nothing to indicate which way round the servo and battery connectors go, based on experience with other radios in things like steam engines, they are 3 wire, and it's very easy and all too possible to connect then the wrong way round, and I don't know if the consequences of connecting things the wrong way round would be damaging to the receiver. Maybe there's a note somewhere that I've not seen as I don't have the equipment in front of me, but it's a minor but important point that if I do go Skyartec/Ninja I'd prefer not to make a mistake with.

It's also possible that if it's wrong, nothing works, and reversing them corrects the error without doing any damage, but I'd prefer not to find out the wrong way, even though the receivers are not expensive in the scale of things.

Anyone gone down these avenues of the extra channels yet , or am I looking at an area that's not been explored yet?

Thanks

Steve
Irish Steve is offline Find More Posts by Irish Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:48 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Steve View Post
The sites all say that the radios (the current version is the 706, but I've looked at the documentation on the Skyartec site, and they are basically the same for the older versions,) are 7 channel, and I've no reason to doubt that, BUT, the joysticks are 4 of them, and there are then 2 switches that I am aware of, one of which is "gear", which seems to be being used as a throttle lock switch, to prevent the motor running at inappropriate moment, which is fine, and then another channel is being used, (I think) for the limited/full range option for servo movement, but I don't know if that's a change to the transmitter profile, or if it sends the switch position to the receiver and changes something there.

By my reckoning, that's 5 channels and a local to the transmitter curve change, so where/how are Ch 6/7 activated/accessed/operated. I'd like to look at putting LED lights on a Ninja, and would be looking at a channel for that, among other possibilities, and a real gear channel would be nice as well.

Can the "gear" switch be used for gear, or is it locked to the throttle block function, and the same question effectively applies to the easy/hard mode switch.

Are there any connectors or options to enable the connection of other switches or variable pots to the at present apparently unavailable channels?

I like the look of the Ninja, it looks like a good machine, and as it can be got as a complete machine, that has to be worth considering. If some of what I'm looking at on the radio side is a problem, then I guess that the best option will be a Turnigy 9 channel from HK or similar, with the custom firmware on it, and getting the Ninja without the radio.

Another observation in passing on the receivers that might need to be addressed, in all the diagrams I've seen, there's nothing to indicate which way round the servo and battery connectors go, based on experience with other radios in things like steam engines, they are 3 wire, and it's very easy and all too possible to connect then the wrong way round, and I don't know if the consequences of connecting things the wrong way round would be damaging to the receiver. Maybe there's a note somewhere that I've not seen as I don't have the equipment in front of me, but it's a minor but important point that if I do go Skyartec/Ninja I'd prefer not to make a mistake with.

It's also possible that if it's wrong, nothing works, and reversing them corrects the error without doing any damage, but I'd prefer not to find out the wrong way, even though the receivers are not expensive in the scale of things.

Anyone gone down these avenues of the extra channels yet , or am I looking at an area that's not been explored yet?

Thanks

Steve
Sky706 is the upgraded version of the Sky705 and Sky703. Sky706 has dual rates and Expo. All these versions have 7 Channel Tx and 7 ch receiver. Full software programming allows you to assign the correct profile for the type of plane or helicopter you are using. These are designed for the Skyartec Planes and Helicopters and do not offer the choices that a Futaba or Spectrum Radio offers for general purpose use. The top left switch can be used for power off or on to the motor. The top right switch is for normal helicopter flight mode or throttle up position where the throttle is off with throttle in mid position and high at top and bottom of the stick position.

We recommend using the radio as it is setup from the factory to learn how the helicopter or plane handles. Then if you want to add multiple additional features consider upgrading to a full function futaba or spectrum radio set. I will review the diagrams and programming to see what options might exist to control lights or other features. The CCPM helicopter, like the Ninja uses 6 of the 7 channels to manage that pitch curve with the throttle management.

Servos plugged into the receiver the incorrect direction will not hurt the servo or the radio; they just will not work. The power connection, that can be plugged into any available plug (nomally from the ESC and into plug number 3, for throttle) should be only plugged in with the correct polarity. The receiver body, has clearly marked positive (+) and negative(-) locations.

Remember, while these are fine radios and work great for the purpose they are designed for, these are configured and setup at the factory as a RTF model. As with any product of this kind, when you decide to remove the radio or other parts, it is up to you to re-assemble them carefully and correctly.

We will update this post when I have reviewed some of the possible options that could allow you to use the available channels for the options you mentioned.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
Parkflying is online now Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Max,

Much appreciate the detailed and thoughtful reply, that's helped considerably, and clarifies how the concept works, and the way that Skyartec have things set up, which is a big help.

The details of the marking of the receiver answers that concern 100%, the documentation doesn't mention it, which was slightly worrying, if the receiver is marked, then there is no longer an issue.

I will be watching this forum for any further comments, and looking more closely at the Ninja, as it looks like a good outdoor starter machine, and appears to have the potential for providing some excitment once the basics have been mastered.

Once again, many thanks

steve
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:38 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Steve View Post
Max,

Much appreciate the detailed and thoughtful reply, that's helped considerably, and clarifies how the concept works, and the way that Skyartec have things set up, which is a big help.

The details of the marking of the receiver answers that concern 100%, the documentation doesn't mention it, which was slightly worrying, if the receiver is marked, then there is no longer an issue.

I will be watching this forum for any further comments, and looking more closely at the Ninja, as it looks like a good outdoor starter machine, and appears to have the potential for providing some excitment once the basics have been mastered.

Once again, many thanks

steve
great! I will upgrade the information here as promised. Make sure you find a dealer that has completely bench tested the helicopter. As the USA dealer we bench test and check every system and then test fly the helicopter to make sure it is setup correctly. While Skyartec is as good as many factories and their products are reliable, you still need to do business with a dealer that will support your needs and stand behind the product for any factory defects

Regards
Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
Parkflying is online now Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Max, thanks again, you have a PM

Steve