Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:32 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
New Product
Battery mAh tracker - fuel gauge, more accurate than voltage tracking

For the full discussion see the RCG thread - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477133

Currently available at - http://nqrc.com?vp=PLD-SCC1

NOTE: This product has been designed and tested in the rugged Australian outback. Things are tough and hot out here right now, which makes for good products.

The PLD-SCC1 "battery odometer" is a mAh/charge tracking fuel-gauge system which does NOT rely on the battery voltage to determine the current charge state. The system uses a charge-counter to accurately track mAh consumption (this is not a sample-and-estimate system either).

Features and details -
  • Programmable battery size in 50mAh blocks
  • Manual reset/initialise (as with a normal car odometer)
  • Empty battery alarm (not really very loud, but it's still there)
  • Maximum of 10A sense ability
  • 1mAh consumption resolution
  • Data display:
    • Top line:
      • Battery capacity remaining
    • Bottom line:
      • Runtime since last reset
      • Current battery voltage (V)
      • Peak current (mA)
      • Lowest averaged battery voltage (V)
      • Consumed mAh
  • Voltage range: 3.6~8.5V (2S lipo maximum)
  • Weight: 10~12g ( ~0.4oz )
  • Size: 38 x 25 x 7mm size (1.5 x 1 x 0.25")
  • Leads: Two pairs of 20AWG bare silicon fly leads
  • Protection: Rubberised clear heatshrink

I have only a very limited number of these currently but I will be taking pre-orders if people are genuinely interested. There really isn't another unit quite like this one on the market yet for A123/LiFe systems.

Many thanks
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Last edited by PLD; Oct 25, 2011 at 01:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:41 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
I've been working hard on the firmware, new icons have been made, also a new user-manual and now a YouTube video have been added.

User manual - http://www.nqrc.com/datasheets/PLD-SCC1-usermanual.pdf

WARNING: a very boring ~2 minutes
SCC1 discharge sequence, 50mAh start (2 min 6 sec)

NOTE that we're still in preorder mode now, since the original batch has sold out. The new PCBs and parts are being procured.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:35 PM
Australia, NSW, Cherrybrook
Joined May 2004
1,564 Posts
That's a neat little device.

What sort of input/output wires does it have? Are they capable of handling the max 10A load? Can you make one with 16ga input and dual servo plug output?

If you use a receiver power switch does it go between the battery and device or receiver and device.

I'm guessing that manual reset means it will remember the data between flights if you disconnect the battery, thus keeping a running total for the days flying?

Can you charge a pack through this device?

Put me down for one. I use the Telemetry features of my Multiplex radio to monitor my receiver pack but it requires hard wiring a sensor into the circuit.

I could use this device on my smaller models.
CustomPC is offline Find More Posts by CustomPC
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:40 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Good morning CustomPC,

On the board itself, there are two pairs of 0.1" spaced contact points. I am using ~50mm lengths of 20AWG silicon fly-lead. 16AWG leads won't be able to fit onto the PCB reliably, 18AWG would be the absolute maximum size possible.

I would place the unit between the switch and the RX, so that it doesn't consume any power during the off phase.

The unit does remember the time-elapsed and total mAh consumed between power cycles; data such as peak-current, lowest-voltage and battery-voltage are reset each time.

Yes, you can charge the pack through this device and the mAh counter will go "backwards" (until 0mAh).

Regards,
Paul.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:46 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
I'm working on a 40~50A capable unit at the moment, up to 30V as well (6~7S), final spec will tend to depend on the parts I can get to all fit onto the board. Looking at a 50x25mm size board.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:16 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Ordered! This will be brilliant on the little house-bot. Can't wait for the higher current models as well, it would be nice to track the charge on the rechargeable leaf blower the girlfriend got me.
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member