HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:50 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
I do have digital comcast, the thing about it is the pricing structure. There is one package down, but it is the local broadcast channels only, which I assume is some requirement that they carry it. What I really dislike is that even now, they give me a $15 discount, meaning the real charge for basic digital, is $59 plus the taxes, add on charges, and then they give me a discount for having both internet and cable. So if I only got cable, or only got internet, the price would be exorbitant. Meaning I wouldn't save much at all by knocking off the TV end of it. Bottom line, I would not save $59 by knocking out the TV part, more like $20. $59 is the discount price for packaging internet and TV.

And like I said, they offer introductory discounts which expire after a year or six months. My intro expired and my total bill went from $85 to $105, I called them and asked how I could lower my bill and they extended my discount for another year. Goofy way to do business.

I have been lucky in that the service here has been excellent, however, in the past, had terrible problems, and to this day I still rent the modem from them, as they assume if you have your own modem, that must be where the problem lies. They also say that if they come out and find that your modem is the problem, there is a $100 service charge for the visit. So that is like $6 a month for insurance against headaches during service. There was a time when they came out once a week for about three months, I knew the two guys who worked my area on a first name basis. What they finally found was two problems, one was a connection on a pole somewhere that filled up with water when it rained, and the other was the "node" was overloaded with too many trying to use the internet, it would just knock some of them off.
Direct TV is our only option. Last year we purchased our 1st flat screen. Nothing wrong with the other until then. Since TV is one of our less used entertainment we decided to go with standard def. I then started to notice a wide variance in picture quality between some shows and some ads. I called DTV on this and got $10.00 /month off my bill for 1 year to shut me up. A few days ago I noticed the small print on one ad was not legible even when I was two feet from the screen. Just like the smaller Hershey bar for the same old price, I guess.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:37 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
my/our internet provides 100% of our entertainment needs ,thru such sites as Hulu and Netflix,free feeds from networks etc...for just $20 a month..current and revelant news coverage is available from a number of sources (its interesting that some foreign news sources provide better coverage of USA related events than "local" does) ..as well as weather coverage ....who needs cable/direct TV?
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:53 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
This a good/bad thing.
Some remarkable things have been brought to us thanks to some of these corporations...and some genies that we can't get back in the bottle. Like GMO's and HFCS.
They are, like all things, good and bad.

MHO

Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
Shake weights, we would never have shake weights without corporate america.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
I love corporate America , I love competing against it, without it well I would most likely be a rice farmer with it well….I don’t have to stand next to a mountain but I can still chop is down with the edge of my hand
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:00 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
January 20, 2009?

More like

January 20, 1981
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:58 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Direct TV is our only option. Last year we purchased our 1st flat screen. Nothing wrong with the other until then. Since TV is one of our less used entertainment we decided to go with standard def. I then started to notice a wide variance in picture quality between some shows and some ads. I called DTV on this and got $10.00 /month off my bill for 1 year to shut me up. A few days ago I noticed the small print on one ad was not legible even when I was two feet from the screen. Just like the smaller Hershey bar for the same old price, I guess.
Hershey's metric worked quite well, of course in that case, we are talking about a nickel's worth of chocolate.

I was surprised to find out that Comcast/Xfinity does not publish their rates online. When looking online to try to find a way to lower your bill, you are confronted with mostly new customer incentives.

They send the rate cards out with your bill once a year. I don't get a paper bill. Otherwise you have to physically travel to your local Comcast office. I have been there, took an hour to return my ex wife's modem, so she could get credit for it. Looks like I need to activate getting the wasteful 12 paper bills in order to get that rate card.

Why do they want to hide their rates in the first place? The only reason my bill is not higher is I chose the "economy" internet, which is 2mbs and bit less expensive than the regular offering. I found that on an old rate card, otherwise would not have known about it.
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:47 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
But the life expectancy for a male in 1935 was 59.1, so fewer live into the older ages. Today life expectancy is about 75. But we have a lot more living longer.

It has all been poor planning.
That was at birth. At 65 the life expectancy was about the same as it is today, so the time "on" SS is about the same, although the number on it is massively higher today.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:21 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Can not rember anytng but making underwear for years. in NYC.
Maybe you need to look for a different line of work.....
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:26 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
Quote:
we are talking about a nickel's worth of chocolate
Which of course now sells for a dollar.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:03 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Which of course now sells for a dollar.
That profit, of course, pays for the salaries of all the Hershey employees as well as their pensions, their health benefits, puts employees kids through school, pays for their vacations, puts Christmas presents under the tree, pays for their homes, allows them to own 2 or more cars... you know, all that stuff that evil greedy corporations provide the income for so that their employees can live their lives.

And lets not forget the mark-up by the distributors and stores that sell the product which is the profit that... pays for the salaries of all the distributors and store employees as well as their pensions, their health benefits, puts employees kids through school, pays for their vacations, puts Christmas presents under the tree, pays for their homes, allows them to own 2 or more cars... you know, all that stuff that evil greedy corporations provide the income for so that their employees can live their lives.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:12 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljimb0 View Post
All the modern good things corporations have brought us.

the GWS slowstick
and lipo batteries.
A 32 inch TV set that I can hang on my wall with one nail for 300 bucks.
30 cans of cold bud light for 19 bucks
the Kitchenaide mixer

I could go on for quite a while.

Here are some of the thing our new govt has not brought us and probably won't ever...
Our soldiers home, trust, better education for our children, etc.
pencils pens shoes cell phones wire glue food fridges wires nails insulation transistors titanium joints paperclips aspirin cars airplance computers look at anything in the store or nearly anything you use or eat

being angry because the type of interventionist, manipulatory govt you demand results in the manipulations it cannot NOT produce, is insane.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:43 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
Hershey's metric worked quite well, of course in that case, we are talking about a nickel's worth of chocolate.

And now they are filling chocolate bars with air bubbles and advertising it as an Improvement
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:26 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me11owman View Post
And now they are filling chocolate bars with air bubbles and advertising it as an Improvement
Awww, that's old school.

Dairy Queen figured out how to sell air a looonnnnnng time ago when they figured that if they injected 33% to 45% of air into the product, it was smoother and creamier.

I've bought way too much air in my lifetime, mostly mixed with hot fudge and Butterfingers.
I think I've said too much.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:24 PM
United States, NC, Hickory
Joined Oct 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
I've bought way too much air in my lifetime...
Air? I'm giving it away for free. Every since I hit my mid 40's...

dmanonbass is offline Find More Posts by dmanonbass