SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:36 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
The living may come to envy the dead. There's a precedent for that somewhere in literature.

TT: The cable guy was back today. Said the signal is half what it should be and he needs to get the 'head end guy' to help him, Monday. It's working adequately for now. Except for how badly Spike hacked True Lies just now. Oy!
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2003
363 Posts
Soon many of the wall street type protesters will realise that if they succeed, they will have to camp in worse stink until their cries for the return of capitalism are heard.
Plantoflap is offline Find More Posts by Plantoflap
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:41 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooroo View Post
I spent most of yesterday trying to secure liability insurance for a small business I started a month ago.

Government regulations have given us an environment in which a business must be very large to even survive. It is extremely difficult to start a new business because of all of the requirements of governemnt.

It takes a tremendous amount of time and money to comply with all of the stuff that in no way contributes to production or profit.

My new business will have not employees, only contract workers. Only a fool would start a business that employees others or attempts to manufacture something in America.

This is why all of the jobs are going away.
Wanna see mind boggling regs and bureaucracy? Go to India. Getting a business going there is seemingly next to impossible ...but they're doing it, and cleaning our clocks in the process.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:45 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
I do have digital comcast, the thing about it is the pricing structure. There is one package down, but it is the local broadcast channels only, which I assume is some requirement that they carry it. What I really dislike is that even now, they give me a $15 discount, meaning the real charge for basic digital, is $59 plus the taxes, add on charges, and then they give me a discount for having both internet and cable. So if I only got cable, or only got internet, the price would be exorbitant. Meaning I wouldn't save much at all by knocking off the TV end of it. Bottom line, I would not save $59 by knocking out the TV part, more like $20. $59 is the discount price for packaging internet and TV.

And like I said, they offer introductory discounts which expire after a year or six months. My intro expired and my total bill went from $85 to $105, I called them and asked how I could lower my bill and they extended my discount for another year. Goofy way to do business.

I have been lucky in that the service here has been excellent, however, in the past, had terrible problems, and to this day I still rent the modem from them, as they assume if you have your own modem, that must be where the problem lies. They also say that if they come out and find that your modem is the problem, there is a $100 service charge for the visit. So that is like $6 a month for insurance against headaches during service. There was a time when they came out once a week for about three months, I knew the two guys who worked my area on a first name basis. What they finally found was two problems, one was a connection on a pole somewhere that filled up with water when it rained, and the other was the "node" was overloaded with too many trying to use the internet, it would just knock some of them off.
the cable companies here are forced to provide the basic channels in an analog form for all the old pensioners that don't want/can't upgrade. this includes quite a bit of channels like all the local stations, news networks, discovery, history, music channels and so on. so i just pay for internet and then removed the filter from the box outside....
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:05 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymon View Post
you paid $300- for one nail???
musta been that same evil corp that sold hammers for $10,000 and toilet seats for $20,000...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:20 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,271 Posts
Capitalism ( extortion ) at the best it can do.

Doctor with a life saving drug in his hand. " I need the medicine doctor. "

" The price is EVERYTHING you own. " Such a deal. Capitalism at the best it can do for a crook who never worked a day.

Life is good! Do not knock it.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:33 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
You're spot on.
I started my current business 17 years ago, but if I had to start the same business all over again today, I just wouldn't do it. No way, no how.
This week, I get the priviledge of posting the newly required sign that invites all my employees to unionize.
As part of the "regulation", an employer is prohibited from closing the business if their employees unionize.
I of course will completely follow the law. But there is NO law against retiring, and I'm getting closer to deciding when to do that.
Who in the hell gives the government the power to tell you when you can and cannot close a business. It is your property and it should be yours to use as you please.

That rings of another time in another era, in another country. Or is that where we now are?
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:37 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post

" The price is EVERYTHING you own. " Such a deal. Capitalism at the best it can do for a crook who never worked a day.

Cuba is opening up. Sounds just like your king of country. Let us know who it goes down there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:45 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,271 Posts
Cuba Just what taxpayers need.

Another piece of land destroyed every year by severe storms. More jobs for another country wit USA SOIL tax money.

How to suckseed in the USA. just walk into a post office & declare you are illegal.

Can not rember anytng but making underwear for years. in NYC.

Life is good again.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:12 AM
Southern MA. USA
Joined Jan 2003
623 Posts
Quote:
Lets see about those white coated overpriced Witchdoctors.

They have profit margins ranging over 1000 % .
They said when we are able to read the Genetic Codes MANY diseases would be cured. None have been. Just more drugs that are keeping lawyers busier than ever, suing them for known side effects. And NO real curative action. That translates to.. Selling Snake oils from TV stations and monthly magazines.....At the end of the lawsuit the company admits it did NOTHING WRONG & pays each person off with a gag order to not discuss the trial. The people are still injured for life by the toxic effects.

Their ads WARN YOU to TELL YOUR doctor all the medications you are taking........DUUUUUH
My doctor is SUPPOSED to know what I am taking. Unless I am a lying drug addict or alcoholic. Or both.

Any treatment or surgery has a piece of paper that if you sign it. You have released EVERYONE near you from all liability when they do a stupid screwup.

There are almost as many medical lawyers as people cutting grass.

A drug company screws you up & then sends you off to another drug that causes more toxic side effects. Soon you are taking 20 different pills for high blood pressure.

The guy wearing a loincloth gets my vote for doctor of the year.

Have you ever tried to look on the bright side of any subject, it must be a terrible existance in the dark place that you reside.
Moe M. is offline Find More Posts by Moe M.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:56 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
So then, I guess we should be blaming the drug companies for the mess we're in with Social Security.
Yup, they are to blame. When Social Security was created penicillin was just being researched. That invention alone would have changed the calculations dramatically.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Lets ban penicillin!

Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:15 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I heard recently that the life expectancy of a 65-year old in 1935 was not significantly less than a 65-year old today. Keeping SS viable is a relatively easy thing to do but requires political courage. Fixing Medicare is a whole different matter.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:21 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:

That's why God gave you two feet and a suitcase.
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:30 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,969 Posts
But the life expectancy for a male in 1935 was 59.1, so fewer live into the older ages. Today life expectancy is about 75. But we have a lot more living longer.

It has all been poor planning.
RCG Plus Member