HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by owlsabie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,919 Posts
Discussion
The current hangar

Well- my Peter Rake had finally had a dignified semi-retirement. Having now burnt out 3 motors on it, I've decided it can grace my wall, probably to be revived again one day. Here's the current flying collection
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:36 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,301 Posts
Hi Al:

Was that the WACO Peter Rake? What happened with the motors? Are you using the wrong ESC? I had a Peter Rake Thomas Morse and I was so "young" to the electric part of the hobby that I used a 11.1V on a 7.4V motor....stupid....but learn my lesson. Can't believe that is the issue.

The hangar looks good. I wish I could build like you.

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:32 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,919 Posts
Sean - it was the Rake avro arrowscout - I was using a big prop on a gws motor with 3 cells. Yeah, stupid

The waco I built was from rubber plans in a Flying Scale Models magazine - it flew, but retired early
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:57 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,301 Posts
Waco

Hi Al:

Did you cut your own wood for the WACO? I just got the EFLite Stinson Reliant for RCGroups classifieds. Been flying it as much as I can. I now have the bug to build a golden era airplane from a kit, but not sure which one. I saw the Mr. Mulligan, or WACO, or Stearman (since I did not by the Great Planes). Any suggestions?

I should be putting the wings and tail surface on my Nieuport this week. If I want to upload new photos do I edit the original blog? I noticed on your blog you added photos.

Well holidays are over and I going to be getting the Nieuport finished and hopefully flown (look for videos). Also I have my P-47 and that should be ready for Sunday (B'day present - see vids)

Take care.

Sean
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:48 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,919 Posts
I can't wait to see P-47 fly, and the nieuport finished - I'll drop by your blog shortly. To add photos to the first page - you click "edit"right on the top of the blog entry, and go wild

My Waco is a YKC from 1938 plans for a rubber model that I enlarged with a photocopier. I did cut all my own wood, but this one was a nightmare to build. I don't know if it was because I was stil early in the learning phase, or just that I tackled it wrong, but it actually gave me sleepless nights . . .

I think the prettiest of the golden era planes is probably the open WACO, there is a nice big one here ( I also like the Rose Parakeet):http://www.manzanolaser.com/html/peter_rake.html. A good non scale biplane, the inspirer http://www.patscustom-models.com/shortkit2.html. I am sure Pat Trittle had a Waco somewhere, but I don't seem to find it. Just a personal thing - I don't like the Mr Mulligan, and I only like the Stearman with the full cowl.

But - if you are willing to cut your own wood, I'm sure I can help you track down a plan for any of the above.

Hope you are well

Al
Old Oct 26, 2011, 04:38 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,301 Posts
Waco it is

Hi Al:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I also find the Waco to be quite an elegant airplane. I was doing some research and Peter rake has a Waco SRE On manzano's website. I like the YM-5 but I did not find it. Also dumas models has the pat tritle Waco. I want to buy a short kit because you know my building time frame especially if I have to cut the wood .

I am in the process of piecing together the P-47 and tonight I have a flight video of the reliant I am going to post.

The nieuport is fully painted and I will glue all the surfaces tomorrow. I will up load some photos.

Take care

Sean

Sorry. How is the black magic coming along. I see from your thread that you are making it with a 2 meter wingspan. Pretty big.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:29 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,919 Posts
The black magic is progressing s l o w l y
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:29 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,301 Posts
Hi Al:

I think I am affecting your building speed.... You know what they say about bad company.

How's things there? Is the weather starting to warm up? I happened to see your posts on the earlier Peter Rake builds by Maltone and Vintage 1. When I first got into modeling again about 5 years ago my first model (I am sure I told you) was the Peter Rake Thomas Morse Scout. I first found RC Groups and did a search for early warbirds and stumbled upon these builds of the Peter Rake models. Obviously I did not know you at the time so I probably just passed your name. However, the other night I was going through various build threads of Peter Rake items to get a feel and I came across your post....and I said wow... It is funny when you become aware of something.

Have you decided on a color scheme for the black magic? Does it have to be Black? If you make it white, will it become the White Magic? Just kidding.

Hope to see some photos....will check your build thread for more info.

Have a nice weekend.

Sean
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:08 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,919 Posts
Hey there Sean - yip, my first two plan builds were a little Rake SE5 and the Avro Arrowscout

Don't worry - you're a good influence, I'm taking time to enjoy this build and try and get it just right. Now that some of my planes last, I have to live with mistakes I make in the building process Actually, my schedule has to fit around work - so I mostly seem to play and thursdays or fridays. But, for all that, fairly reasonable progress tonight as the back of the fuse is actually all glued together, and now things should move a little quicker.

Summer is definately here - when its clear temps are up in the low 30's, and rain/drizzle/thunderstorms are frequent. Fortunately, being quite high up the evening temperatures are quite pleasant for the next month or two ...

Lots of flying going on as well, as there is now enough daylight after work to sneak a quick flight in now and then.

The Black Magic should be black - but, Edubarca said that in Columbia it was sold as "La Bruja" (the witch), so I'm going with white/silver/yellow/green, and calling it La Bruja

Have a great weekend

Al
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:23 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,301 Posts
Just in time for Halloween

Hi Al:

If you call her the La Bruja you are just in time for Halloween. October 31 is just around the corner (actually in 2 days) and normally we have a change in the leaves and the weather gets comfortably cool; however, today we got hit with a very hard snowstorm. The snow is very wet and quite early before the leaves fell. My neighbor's tree cracked in half. I guess no flying for a bit here.

I was on your thread and the fuse is looking good. I admire that you take the time to cut the wood. I wish I had the time; but with my schedule I get anxious and want to fly already. This was a bad combination for my first build - lots of mistakes. But with a couple of airworthy planes in the hangar i am less pressured and can take my time. Nevertheless I will build a precut kit.

I noticed the La Bruja has a lot of dihedral are you going to reduce that and add ailerons? Or is this model strictly elevator and rudder?

Once I have the Nieuport finished and ready to fly I will order the Waco sre.

Ok have a good time flying Enjoy the good weather while you have it. I sure did.

Sean
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:39 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,919 Posts
Hey Sean - She will be rudder/elevator, but the folk seem to use a ration of 1 inch dihedrel to 1 foot span, (per wing pannel) plus 1 inch, so thats what I will go with. It seems to be just right. So - you're going to have to put skis on your planes now
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:53 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,301 Posts
Dihedral

Hi Al:

How do you guys figure out how much dihedral to put into the wing? Is there a formula to use, for example CG is 1/3 the wing chord?

I noticed that the wing dihedral on the photos of the Black Magic is quite accentuated, which is probably necessary for FF, but if you are going RC, you are going to need to reduce that because the plane will float and your control surfaces may not work as well.

No....skis for me.....planes without wheels...P-51....P-38....we'll see...

Sean
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:21 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,919 Posts
Well - some of the rudder/elevator glider guys measure one half of the wing - say 36 inches, then divide that by 12 (3 inches) and then add one inch (4 inches). So, a plane with a 72 inch span should do well with 4 inches dihedral under each tip. On my Live Wire, I went with just a straight 1:12 ratio and it worked fine. I found this out from George (Sundancer), and he is someone who's advice I trust. So - assuming my Black Magic comes out at 2m wingspan, 1 wing will be 1m, which divided by 12 gives about 8.3 cm dihedral at each tip. So - I will aim for somewhere around there. My building is not that accurate, so it could be anywhere from 7-9 cm
Old Nov 04, 2011, 12:03 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,301 Posts
Hi Al:

Thanks for the tip. I guess you would then lower the dihedral if you are using ailerons? Are you using ailerons? I am sorry if I forgot.

If you get a chance take a look at the Nieuport, I put all together before I left on business. Now onto the guts and finishing items.

Sean
Old Nov 04, 2011, 03:04 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,919 Posts
Sean - as far as dihedral and ailerons go, I have absolutely no idea The 'dawg has a little dihedral warped into the wing with the covering and the top spar, but not much. On the Black Magic, no ailerons at this stage although I am going to make the trailing edge thick enough to fit them, and may even build in boxes to mount servos - you know, just in case I feel like I need them one day. On my way to your blog . . .