HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:15 AM
Nexxa
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
106 Posts
Discussion
Somebody can tell me what wrong with this motor?

Just kidding!

I ran it all season without problem, until last flight. A bumpy landing after a hard flight and all magnets jump on stator!
nexxa is offline Find More Posts by nexxa
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:26 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,505 Posts
Next time use heat-resistant epoxy when gluing magnets to the can.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:30 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,112 Posts
Man, that must have been a pretty hard bump and sudden stop!

And looking at the epoxy on the windings that motor is not a very good candidate for rewinding. At least not for a fairly easy rewind...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:22 PM
Nexxa
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
106 Posts

Like you say, not a good candidate for rewind!!! But I didn’t want to do it at beginning. A friend at club gave me that motor, because I had trouble with my Align one.

Before installing this motor, I check inside.
The winding was so loose, I put a Medium CA everywhere. No rewind possible after! Originally the magnet was glued with a kind of orange varnish... or something similar. I didn’t touch that part.

The belly landing (warm liner 1300 watts, 13.5x8 on 4S)was not so hard (the plane is intact), the motor was stopped and prop folded. But running it for 4 minutes WOT has increase temp, and a small hit on the nose has done the rest!
nexxa is offline Find More Posts by nexxa
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,112 Posts
If you wanted to experiment with a rewind you can get some good (like aircraft quality) paint remover and soak the stator in that for a few hours. That will remove all the paint the stator coating, and soften the epoxy even. Then you can pick all the wires off and out with a lot of cutting, snipping, pulling, etc.

That will leave with a stator that may fall apart to single loose plates and it will have to be reassembled and coated for insulation. but you'll learn a *lot* about motors and rewinding motors in the process.

The first thing you will learn is that epoxy or CA coated windings are not a good thing!

Good luck with it!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes