HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:25 PM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
Build Log
Guillows Cessna 172 Conversion

Hi, just got the mode kit in the mail got a pull pul system coming with a laser level coming as well planing to balsa sheet the top wing and have a fixed rudder any ideas about motor im trying to do a 7 or 8 inch prop with spinner nut no spinner top.

I have a 450 outrunner already, but not so sure about the 7 or 8 inch prop size for it since it rates a bit higher for minimum propwas thinking the motor should be a 280 or 300 tho.

Skyhawks are pretty leasure general flying around type so wont be doing any aerobatic crap.

All i got is a cam phone so pics may just suck but ill post a few in a bit.

will probly be saturday afternoon or night before i start on the build
Any sugestions would be great thanks!
usa1045 is offline Find More Posts by usa1045
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:36 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,122 Posts
Look at the top of this section for a STICKY about EVERY Guillows conversion possible.

Enjoy.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:56 PM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
hi, thanks, but that part I have already looked at actually.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:16 AM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
Anybody know what font they use for the registration number or where i can get some as close to scale as possible to the 1/12 guilows 172
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:18 PM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1045 View Post
Anybody know what font they use for the registration number or where i can get some as close to scale as possible to the 1/12 Guilows 172
I'm sure if you experiment with a recent set of MS fonts, maybe experimenting with adding bold or italic, you could come up with something just about perfect.

I modeled the scale scheme, and the masking of the thin lines was a real pain. I wouldn't blame you for choosing another scheme.

As for sheeting, I love sheeting on scale models of metal covered planes. The wing really doesn't look bad without it however, as the airfoil is not extremely thick. A partial sheeting on the front-top could give most of the desired effect, as the remainder would look pretty flat, as long as the stringers were well set. I'd go for the fuse sheeting before the wing, as it really sets off the realistic look of a metal covered plane. Should be a good project for you, as I have one and it is a fine flyer, which handles a bit of weight without issue also.

I used a geared bl setup, as the gearbox dia is small, around the prop center, which helps on planes like the 172. With a GWS HD prop, it sounds like a real IC engine.
Bill
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:14 PM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
Hi, thanks for the advice the wing would actually get a very thin bass would or balsa sheetig i am much more a tune to bass would for sheeting since the quality looks better in my opinion.

I can use trace paper to get the design on it actually but i would rather do something a bit better so i am considering a few, but the plane i was hoping to use is no longer at PGV airport so i cant use its scheme anymore but the reg number is still faa registered tho.

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:41 PM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
Well I finaly get to start working on it, I got a new knife some foamboard and a table all set up starting with the wings. anyone know which hieght setting would be best for the wing i really dont wann make it the highest of the 3 it has for it but i wanna get a better opinion first!

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:46 AM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
Hi I got 2 faom wheels 1 and a half inch for the plane cause the hobby store near me didnt have 1 1/4 wheels and im wondering if anyone know if i can sand the wheels down to match the right size.

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1045 View Post
Hi I got 2 faom wheels 1 and a half inch for the plane cause the hobby store near me didnt have 1 1/4 wheels and im wondering if anyone know if i can sand the wheels down to match the right size.

Thanks
I'd build my own before I tried that, as it's not easy to do a good job of resizing rubber foam. I think that LHS needs to do a better job of stocking wheels. If I were to try, I'd use a drill press and experiment with various grades of sandpaper, going from rough to fine.

The pants make wheel fit even fussier, which calls for a thinner tire than with open wheels. The Dubro and Maxx products wheels at this size have thin tires that work well for the app. Without walking downstairs, I'm almost certain that I have Maxx prod wheels on my 172. The LHS had a good markup on wheels also. I'm a loyal supporter, but I've been buying wheels along with other internet purchases, whether I need them or not. The prices are good, and then you have them when you need them.
Bill
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:57 PM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
well i have wheel collars so i can replace the wooden ones that can with it later if the foam ones dont sand or shape out good enough but i would still prefer to get som the right size which i will at some point most likely.

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:10 PM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
Well got the wing farme complete and ready for sanding a bit more then i have to wait for the pull pull system to arrive in the mail before i can cover it or atach the ailerons to it for good.

I am using CA hinges but i am gonna epoxy them on since it will hold just as good for no more then what they are gonna do.

Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:21 PM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
Well i got the wings sheeted on top and the fuse ready for servos to be placed then covered.

started the stab. waiting for parts to arrive in the mail is boring and the mail from hobby king is slow with it coming from hong kong.

Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:34 PM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
Ok i am at the point where i need to decide on the motor and prop setup so i would really apreciate any sugestion or ideas i am certainly going with geared setup but any specific motor name or what not would be helpfull.

Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:52 AM
USA, NC, Farmville
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
anything at all?