HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by xplaneguy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:39 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,894 Posts
Cool
Rich Models Long EZ 380

During the West Coast Big Jolt Event, I picked up this Rich Models Long-EZ ARF. The seller wanted $70. I asked,"What's the best deal you could offer?" He said, "$40!" and I said, "Sold!" I've always loved aircraft designed by Burt Rutan and the Long-EZ is a favorite! Living only a short distance away from Mojave, CA where Rutan's Scaled Composites is based and many Long-EZ aircraft flying over my home weekly, It couldn't say no. This Long-EZ model was going to be a fun addition to the fleet and my first RC aircraft with a canard.

The Rich Models ARF kit took several nights to assemble and install the electronics. I used an E-Flite Park 370 with an APC 7x5E prop and a 30 amp ESC. I also installed 4 Cirrus 301 9 gram servos from Hobby People. There was no cockpit so I added a 1/16 sheet of balsa, painted it black and added two Dynam light weight pilots.

I flew the maiden with a Turnigy 3S 25C 1500 mAh battery but it made the aircraft a little nose heavy. I now have 5 flights on the aircraft using Turnigy 3S 25C 1300mAh and it flies perfect! Scale like speed with th e ability to do basic aerobatics. Landings requires power to keep enough air over the canard for solid pitch control. I've been told that Rich Models no longer produces this kit. I hope that's no true. It's is a cool little Long-EZ that looks and flies great! A definite keeper!

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:12 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Nice shot with the rainbow in the background!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:07 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,766 Posts
Great pics and a good looking plane.

I've been following your posts for quite some time. I have to ask..."How many planes do you own??"

I think it's cool that you post photos of your daughter with each plane. My boys could care less. You should make a post/thread of all the photos of her with each plane, starting with the first photo to the most recent. That would be cool to see the transition...and also see the huge collection of aircraft.

Happy flying!

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:19 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,894 Posts
Thanks guys for the nice feedback!

Lee-To answer your question.......too many planes!

My daughter counted over 100 at one point and we added more since that time. I'm slowly selling planes now to make room for new and bigger planes. HELP!

All the best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:28 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
Tony, Is that the Long EZ 380?
Gixxerjack is online now Find More Posts by Gixxerjack
Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:17 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,894 Posts
Hey Jack! It is the Rich Models Long-EZ 380. It's a fun plane!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member