HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Jun 2008
270 Posts
Few questions about the Futaba T8J please ?

With no replys on this thread for a bit I hope to get some and start it back up again ..

First i'll say im a radio noob ..Been in the hobby now for 5 years flying helis and the best radio I owned was a DX7 and had a DX7S for 2 days but just sold it ..I owned my older DX7 for 3+ years and loved it but sold the radio 6 days ago..Never owned a new radio so I bought a brand new DX7S 3 days ago which was a big mistake.I should of held one in my hands at my hobby shop before buying it because the DX7S is a bit thicker than the older DX7 I sold,I couldn't push the sticks all the way over as my thumbs slipped off the stick about everytime ..Well I had no choice but to sale it ..I really like the way the Futaba T8J looks so this time I made sure I held it at my hobby shop and it fits sooo nice in my hands,like it was made for me haha..I for sure don't have the $$ for the 8FG and the T8J is in my budget..I plan on buying it tomorrow and have a few questions..
I don't know anything about FASSS or FASST,can someone explain it to me please?
Will this radio be a "upgrade" from my DX7 ??
Im building a FBL heli with Vbar and was told to get a tiny 3CH SBUS RX,does anyone know which RX I need and could you post a link to it please?

Thanks guys and im sure i'll be back with more questions ..
invert is offline Find More Posts by invert
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:25 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invert View Post
I don't know anything about FASSS or FASST,can someone explain it to me please?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581655
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1605306

Quote:
Will this radio be a "upgrade" from my DX7 ??
JR and Futaba is the way to go, Spektrum is junk.
Your old DX7 was made by JR and the new DX7s is from Spektrum.

Quote:
Im building a FBL heli with Vbar and was told to get a tiny 3CH SBUS RX,does anyone know which RX I need and could you post a link to it please?
What heli are you building ?
http://www.futaba-rc.com/receivers/f...ss-compat.html
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:24 AM
South Africa, GP, Krugersdorp
Joined Jul 2012
168 Posts
T8j

I haven't been in RC for 20year and getting back in made it difficult to those a
radio.
So I went shopping around and looked at reviews.What I found was a lot of nice
radios that cost alot of money.
I desided i need at least ,programming and 6 channels. Compared to what I was
used to many years ago that was a hell of alot.
A week ago I bought the T6J for R1695 (South Africa) = $199.77 from a local hobby shop which I thought was a bargain with a RX.While at the shop the guy tried to convince me to buy the T8J for R2795 = $329.86 which is alot of money.
You are so lucky things are cheap your side of the ocean. That night I searched around on the T8J and read alot on your forums about it.
For me it was impressive compared to the T6J so the next day i went back to the
hobbyshop and swopped it back and paid the divirence with a smile.
If I look at all the functions and what, what I think it should last me for quite a few
years and I should not get bored soon.
SONICX is offline Find More Posts by SONICX
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Jun 2008
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581655
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1605306

JR and Futaba is the way to go, Spektrum is junk.
Your old DX7 was made by JR and the new DX7s is from Spektrum.

What heli are you building ?
http://www.futaba-rc.com/receivers/f...ss-compat.html
Well im taking it I made the right choice?
I had a older Spektrum DX7 with a awesome FBL Trex 700N.I just really got into FBL and had a BeastX V3.0 on it and 1000000% LOVED it..Ended up getting a Vbar V5.3 with no other heli to put it on so I said screw it and sold every single thing I had along with the older DX7.I want to start over with a brand new Radio (never owned a new radio from day one in this hobby) and brand new heli so made my mind up to build a FBL Trex 600N BigBlock with a YS 91ST/Funtech pipe .Sold my FBL 700N and bought the 600N (will be here tomorrow) with all brand new electronics.Sold my older DX7 and bought the DX7S which was a HUGE mistake..My thumbs slipped off the sticks everytime I pushed them to the middle of the radio..I "thought" the older/newer DX7's would have the same feel but they don't,newer DX7S is alot thicker..

Anyways,
I picked up my new Futaba T8J and LOVE it..This is the nicest radio I owend and it fits in my hands like it was made for them..No joke,this radio is perfect and MUCH better than my older DX7 which I really liked...
Heres a pic of the newer
DX7S that I sold today and Futaba T8J that I bought today..You can clearly see what im talking about as my thumb wasn't even on top of the stick with the
DX7S.

Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Jun 2008
270 Posts
Im no expert but this will give you a ideal on why I didn't and wouldn't fly with the DX7S..The last thing I need is my thumb slipping off the radio with the heli a few feet away from me..

3-3...FBL 700N (7 min 22 sec)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:13 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICX View Post
I haven't been in RC for 20year and getting back in made it difficult to those a
radio.
So I went shopping around and looked at reviews.What I found was a lot of nice
radios that cost alot of money.
I desided i need at least ,programming and 6 channels. Compared to what I was
used to many years ago that was a hell of alot.
A week ago I bought the T6J for R1695 (South Africa) = $199.77 from a local hobby shop which I thought was a bargain with a RX.While at the shop the guy tried to convince me to buy the T8J for R2795 = $329.86 which is alot of money.
You are so lucky things are cheap your side of the ocean. That night I searched around on the T8J and read alot on your forums about it.
For me it was impressive compared to the T6J so the next day i went back to the
hobbyshop and swopped it back and paid the divirence with a smile.
If I look at all the functions and what, what I think it should last me for quite a few
years and I should not get bored soon.

Don't forget that in RSA you have a 14% Value Added Tax built into the price you see on the tag while in the US they have General SalesTax which is not added to the advertised price and that could be anything depending on the State.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:33 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
brand new heli so made my mind up to build a FBL Trex 600N BigBlock with a YS 91ST/Funtech pipe
did you buy the 90 upgrade kit from Infinity Hobby ??
I'd like to convert mine with the new OS GT15HZ but I do expect a new gasser from ALIGN for that engine, can't wait!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Jun 2008
270 Posts
Quote:
did you buy the 90 upgrade kit from Infinity Hobby ??
I'd like to convert mine with the new OS GT15HZ but I do expect a new gasser from ALIGN for that engine, can't wait!
No,didn't get the upgrade kit..A buddy of mine knows how to mod the heli for the bigger motor useing a 22T pinion ..
Man,that motor looks sweet.Can't wait to see someone run it ..
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:13 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
Even the German company Simprop offers after market FASST receivers. The German way.
Another FASST clone from german company... http://www.derkum-modellbau.com/inde...1-d-power.html

Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:07 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
412 Posts
Quote:
---
Yes, but remember this thread is not about a FASST Tx...

Btw it looks much like a rebranded Corona R14FA FASST receiver.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Last edited by numnutchris; Aug 02, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:47 AM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
S-FHSS hacked.

I saw hobbyking announce in FB.
hayataro is offline Find More Posts by hayataro
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:44 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Got my 8J today.

Seems a pretty good transmitter. Not as nice in the hands as my Aurora 9, feels cheaper and not as robust - the plastics are not as grippy nor as durable imo. The plastic finish is already scratched from being in the box. I doubt this transmitter will looks as good in a couple of years time after being used down the field. Especially the piano black finish in the middle of the transmitter will scratch with the slightest grit.

The UI is very user friendly - I was surprised. Even though it doesn't have the touch screen of the Aurora, it was perfectly usable and workable. In fact as there is less features+mixes+functions than the Aurora, its simpler to navigate and find things! Surprised to see no servo slow though on a modern mid-range transmitter. The only thing that caught me out was that you had to press the + button to get into the main menu - surprisingly this isn't clearly mentioned in the manual! Especially as most of the Futaba transmitters I've used, you have to press the +/- or Up/Down buttons to enter the main menu.

Functionality wise, its certainly a lot thinner on the ground than the Aurora, for example there are no Glider mixes.

With this UK model, a battery was included - 4 cell Ni-Mh. Interestingly the transmitter was setup as a 5-cell pack in the menus. Its nice that it is designed to take a standard 4-cell/5-cell Rx pack, rather than some of the fancy 7/8 cell AAA packs, etc that some have.

Really sucks that Futaba haven't included telemetry. However as my post in the other thread states, the hardware is capable. Also above the Tx battery symbol, there is enough room on the display for a Rx battery symbol - maybe it's supported but was taken off by marketing?

Very tempted to rip the RF can off the TX module in the transmitter and see if the Tx Module is listening after transmitting. Hmm.

One final little tit bit that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is:
On the main screen, if you hold the END button while pressing + or -, it will change the contrast. Helpful if there is a large temperature change or if you've changed the contrast and can no longer see the screen.

Has anyone found how to get into a Service Menu?

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:14 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
I've started reverse engineering the protocol. Not finished yet but I mostly understand it - its very simple protocol.

A few stats about the protocol for those interested:
Servo Data Range: 920 to 2121 = Range of 1201 points. (Probably 10-bit internally - 1024 units resolution - even if 11-bits internally, the protocol doesn't make use of it)
Hop Frequency: ~6.5ms to ~6.8ms
Number of Hop Channels: 31
Data Rate: 128.143kbaud
Modulation Format: 2-FSK

It appears that the channels that it hops on is not defined during Binding like other protocols (Hitec+FrSky), so the channel list must be/likely to be fixed. This is expected due to the lack of Bind mode on the transmitter. Unless there is a bind packet sent occasionally that I haven't seen yet. However the receiver does show an indicator to say its locked on but receiving the wrong ID (i.e. its locked on to the channel hopping of a transmitter, but it doesn't match the ID that the receiver is bound onto).

Data Rate is a lot quicker than I expected. I was imagining it would be quite low, as to help increase the range, given that the transmit power of the S-FHSS range is only ~60mW (iirc).

This is all preliminary, as I really need to get another S-FHSS transmitter to double-check all this.

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SimonChambers; Aug 17, 2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Updated number of hop channels
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:09 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
412 Posts
Dont disagree in much but both your non-manual references ARE mentioned in the manual, p16 about adjusting the display contrast and eg p23 on entering the menu thru + key ; but have to confess I also had to open the manual to get into the menu the 1st time...
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:50 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
p16 about adjusting the display contrast
Ah I didn't see that! You'd think they'd put that information in the section about changing the contrast on Page 32 in section "LCD screen adjustment".

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
but have to confess I also had to open the manual to get into the menu the 1st time...
I'm glad I'm not the only numnut.

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member